Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Finally, don't be scared to ask to speak to the pilot before, during or after the flight - use the opportunity to ask all those burning questions.

Unless on a course flight, this will no longer be allowed.

Sorry
over 6 years ago my husband got to the airport and refused to check in and has not flown since! 4 of my familly are flying to Girona in April and my husband has booked for us. But panic is setting in already, he has been to the doctors and been given 4 tablets, and has now started private hypnotherepy. Has anyone any comments on hypnosis? and has it helped to overcome the fear? he has a relaxation tape to play every day and is really trying as he wants to overcome this fear, but I really don't know what else to try. He has flown many times over the last 25 years but not for over 6 years, I am so afaid of the same thing happening when we get to the airport! :(

*Edit bold removed - Glynis*
My husband is afraid of flying. He now goes to his GP and get's some diazepam. He takes 4mg half-hour before boarding, then another 2mg just as it's setting off. He then sometimes falls asleep. This is enough to last him for a 4 hour flight, but we haven't been much further, so I wouldn't know. He used to be very afraid; gripping seats, sweating, shaking etc, and now can look out of the window when landing!!
Diazepam isn't ideal, but it's great used short-term.

My friend has tried hynosis, but has yet to test it out!
Hi sue

You say your husband has flown for over 25 years with no problem, until 6 years ago.

Suggest to me, something must have happened around that time, which prevented him from flying.

Without going into detail on an open forum, are you able to cast your mind back to any events prior to him not being able to fly? It doesn't have to be anything major, could be something relatively simple.

Did anything happen in your husband's life that caused a "Shock" to him, if so, sub consciously; it could be this event that is creating the problem.

Another thing Sue, prior to that event at check in, has your husband always been a confident man? Since the event at check in, is he still as confident, or have you noticed a difference in him generally.

If you believe that, overall he has changed over the last 6 years, then this will confirm that sub consciously, something is affecting him.

If you are able to pinpoint the problem, whilst hypnosis may help with current events, some form of counselling may offer a better solution.

I trust your husband will be in a position one day to put this behind.

I wish you luck

Driver02
Thank you for your reply. The previous flight too him not checking in was a bit 'rough' but didn't seem to bother him at the time. But he will insist on watching these 'plane crash' programs on t.v. which does't help! He has always been a confident person and still is. He has now had his second hypnotherapy session and has one booked for the evening before we fly.I will post a reply and let you know how we get on, we are due to fly on April 11th the Girona which is only a 2 hour flight, Here's hoping! :fly
Hi Sue

If he insists on watching these plane crash programmes, then get him to look at the programme with a positive attitude, for example, at the end of these programmes, they usually find the cause of the accident, and checks are put into place to ensure the cause is prevented from happening again.

Another positive note for him to concentrate on, pilots go through extensive training, and aeroplanes have a number of back ups should anything go wrong.

And a final positive note for him to think about, although planes are flying at 30 thousand feet, planes fly over or within range of most airports around the world, so, if anything does go wrong, the plane should be able to make it to an airport,

Trust this helps.

Driver02
The thing about phobia's are is that they are irrational fears. This is not to say the fear isn't real. It's very real to the person. No amount of logic will help. My husband says this as he is afraid of heights too, even though he knows he won't fall.

My sister-in-law used to be happy to fly, then suddenly became phobic, but she can't explain why either. Her brother lives in Costa de Sol (very rich <jealous>.) and offered to fly her out for free and free accomodation, but she is too scared to go.
Hi there. I believe that a fear of fling can be triggerd by watching the air crash programmes ie black box etc. Do yourself a favour and dont watch them. I did and now I'm terrified of it. I take 15mg of diazapam (not all at once but apaced over 2 hours before flying ) so that I can relax on the plane. Although my mind is still in a painc, I dont feel physicaly in a painc. My heart is not racing and my stomache isnt turning.
I dont watch these programmes anymore, curiosity or not I dont want to know.
The quickest and most terrifying way to get over a fear of flying is to book a trial flying lesson. I found that one i understood what was going on out of sight, it wasn't frightening anymore. Helped to overcome a fear of heights too.
:lol: Hurrah!!!!!! We made it. all thanks to the hypnotherepist he said he could'nt have done it without it. He still felt a little anxious but had certain 'signals' too do to calm himself down. I really can't believe it. He can't wait to fly again but it will be possibly 3 or 4 months before we can go. He will be a right JET SETTER now :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly :fly
:lol: Sue, I am so pleased your husband made it! I went through hypnotherapy to fly to the US approx 10 years ago and still need to listen to the tape before I go, but I am completely cured (!??!!) Although I would rather not fly, I am 99% better - no sweats, no panic attack, no crying! The trick with hypnotherapy is that the patient has to want it to work, if you are a cynic, then don't bother - half the battle is using your mind to control an irrational fear. Well done hubby ! May you have many more happy flying years! PS I was fine until I flew with Dan Air from Spain to the UK in about 1984, thank goodness they are no longer operating.
*Edit - Up, up and away - and off the boards - Glynis*
HH
*And your alter ego can go with you - Glynis*
Glynis I love your style..... :lol:
You go girl
My problem with flying is mainly due to claustophobia.... plus not being able to spell it!!

If im on a train and it goes through a tunnel and the train is full I dislike the experience.. Im worried it will stop in the tunnel.. I do not use the tube anymore..

If I could be on a plane where there is lots of room such as business class, I think it would be a lot easier for me.. But do they do business class for short haul such as Spain?????
It would probably still be in the back of your head though, that your on a plane and you limited space for you walk about?
last year at newcastle airport my young son of 9 took a severe panic attack which meant we all had to be off loaded as my son was to ill to travel his heart rate had gone through roof the captain crew baggage handlers could'ent have done more to help. instead of going to marmaris for 2 weeks we ended up in a caravan in filey. i got my son help through my gp and he went to see a child psychologist for months his confidence has grow. we are due to fly out on friday 29 july again my gp has given him diazapan to take so all being well and fingers crossed he will be fine,he really wants to go on holiday and eat loads of turkish pizza's lets hope the little man can.i have told him he can have as many as he wants.love from carole
Hiya carole - how awful for you, I do hope your son will overcome his fear with the help he has had, I know how you must feel as I went through it with my husband, please let us know how he enjoys his holiday!!! Good Luck - Sue
I am a 'nervous' flier - will do it because I want to go on to Turkey, but would drive there if I could. However, 'Sir' insists on watching those plane crash programmes even up to the night before we fly!!!! :yikes My Travel Agent once suggested a night flight as I could "sleep through most of the flight" I pointed out that there was as much chance of me sleeping on a plane as the Pope waking up tomorrow to find that he was a Jewish Lesbian (no offence meant to anyone of any faith or sexual orientation - it was said in panic!!). I am getting better, but still hate that last step onto the plane! :fly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.