Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I know this is an old topic but I was looking to ask if anyone had been to the 'urbanizacion' (or the Maltese equivalent ie the resort) that the James Villas uh villas are, in St Maria, Mellieha. I'm going there with family and we have never been to the island before either... I take it that jillyjeep is referring to the same place(?) If your around at all, or if anyone else is who has been to this resort/area, I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know what its like, for instance we're going in late June, will there be many snack bars and newsagents/shops around and open there, then... anything specifically worth seeing closeby? (we have car hire booked for two weeks, this isn't a cheap holiday this year im glad we can *just* afford it and definitely want to make the most of it!) is there good views where the villas are? anyone got any extra photos of the streets in the resort, anything like that... ive only seen the photos on the James' site, though it looks promising! any info. like that would be useful. So far my favourite villa resort was in Playa Blanca in Lanzarote as there were a good number of small bars and a newsagent and even a takeaway chinese place but it wasn't really noisy, which is what me and my family like. I hope its the same in Malta, it sounds good from what I've read so far!

any handy info. about good places in the area is of course much appreciated too... I usually start a separate topic to ask about the villa resort we're going to but since I found this topic, I guess its more appropriate to post it here, though if I get no real replies ill maybe re-post it as a new topic I guess, I specifically would like to know about the villa resort of St Maria in Mellieha and if anyone else has been there to stay in one of the James Villas uh villas, let me know what you thought of it etc. we're flying out on June 24th for two weeks btw, so people know when we'll be there... thanks in advance :)
Hi IzzyS,

the Santa Maria estate has some fantastic villas but it is a bit of a walk to the local restaurants and bars. (up hill) or a short 3 mins drive. You have two pubs on the main road that are also restaurants, a Chineese and a Maltese restaurant that is towards the centre of Mellieha, where you will find lots of restaurants. The centre of Mellieha is only a 5 minute drive away. You are also a short drive from the harbour where you can catch the ferry over to Gozo (20 minute crossing) and explore.

I took this picture of Mellieha, Santa Maria is the top half of the photo.:-
Thanks for that m&n. Long uphill walks in the sun? ehh im guessing the car will be used a fair bit then lol thats a bit of a shame... thanks for the info. and photo, looks good! :tup
Hello IzzyS, one of the best ways to get an idea of what is around you and some of the rest of Malta and Gozo is to Google,
(Malta Vista) this gives you maps/ pictures and a web cam.
Also if you have Google Earth this gives you a good look at the islands so you can plan any trips you want to take, also if you go back a few pages on this site there are lots of places asked about with answers again for places to visit.

Dave.
Thanks Dave. I know, I haven't got around to searching much on Google, I just thought I might as well ask about the specific area here incase anyone here had been themselves and could provide any useful info. about what its like during summer and so on... I will definitely use Google and Google Earth/Maps too, as you say :) I apologise if I am unneccessarily re-hashing an old topic/question. Its just always nice to hear from others who have been to the same place, to hear what they thought of it and so on, it can add to the photos and such like that you can find online through services like Google and give you a better idea of what to expect etc.
The Malta Vista site does look very good, a useful resource! thanks for the tip Dave :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.