Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
First timer
7 Posts
Just to keep an open mind.

Often peoples first reaction when they land is "what the heck am I doing here" and want to get straight back on the plane again.

It can take a day or two to get your head around things particularly the poverty but once you have you'll see that pluses about the place easily outweigh the minuses.
DONT sign up for any of the tour company trips that they will try to hard sell you at their welcome meeting, they will give you very little worthwhile information but will spend all the time flogging overpriced trips. Have a walk along the road, about 200yrds to Daytripper and speak to Eddie or Enid and you will find the same trips or better for half the price, or if you find a taxi driver that suits, ditto. For first timers though I would tend to, at first, to go with Daytripper, and I can assure you you wo'nt be disappointed Alan
Be careful with the food...the locals say to avoid beef and pork but if you go to the restaurant After Seven then the beef there is top quality!
Hi we are first timers too, off in 2 weeks and can't wait! We are staying in Baga in the Riverside Guest house. Unfortunately we are only away for a week and so are trying to cram everything in. We would like restuarant recommendations (one of us is veggie) and general advise on what are the best days out due to the time limitation, thought about dolphin spotting, markets, spice plantations, overnight in a remote beach hut etc. Also not sure how to take money (travellers cheques or pounds sterling cash), where is the nearest place to change money and how much will we need to change in the airport to get by? thanks
Hi Basil and Stoney,
Tips for first timers....
Relax, go with the flow and enjoy!!!
Take a few days to get to know your immediate surroundings, that way you'll get a feel for the place and will start to relax enough to want to venture further afield. Ditto what Gramps said about the trips.
Try to see the funny side of things,try not to regard the sellers on the beach as "hassle", remember they are only trying to earn an honest living. If you politely but firmly say no it usually does the trick. Don't expect a pristine resort with a European infrastructure because Goa is not about that. Goa is about the sights, the smells, the people and their culture......you'll love it.
Read Whiska's report on this Forum, she recently spent 2 weeks in Calangute and loved it.
As for currency, change only a small amount at the Airport as they usually give a terrible rate. £20 will be more than enough. Take Sterling or Travellers Cheques, you can change them in lots of places.....try the shoe shop on Calangute hight St for a decent rate. Also cash machines are available in Calangute.
Decent places to eat are endless....refer to the Sticky on this forum.
Hope this helps, Have a lovely holiday, Goldenflipflop xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.