Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I think flying direct is about 13 hours
According to the BAA Heathrow website the fight time varies between 11hrs 50min and 12hrs 10min on the MAS direct flight.
Brilliant! Thank you very much!
Is it a direct flight pam?
I thought it was usually via Singapore or KL?
I believe there are nonstop flights to Penang during the summer months with Malaysia. I seem to remember when I flew there in September last year there was a nonstop flight, though I had to change at Kuala Lumpur, I may be imagining it as it's getting late and my brain seems to be slowing down, I keep pressing the wrong keys.
definately,non stop flights to penang,from manchester,with malaysian air.we had this choice,last year,but decided to have a night in kl,instead.
cheers tracy
I am flying on the direct MAS flight in late April the flight leaves from Heathrow at 6 PM every saturday (I think there maybe a tuesday direct flight as well).
From the start of april MAS will no longer fly non stop to Penang or Langkawi as a cost cutting measure.

I was informed of this today and was told I would have to endure a 6 hour stop over in KL if I wished to go to Penang they would not move me to an earlier flight so have cancelled the Penang part fo the holiday and will organise something from KL (and they refused to offer anything for the inconvenience or even apologise).
that's dreadful Rick. You had done so much research on Penang as well. (By chance I have started to research flights to KL and they seem more expensive than I would have thought.)
I was quite annoyed but Kuoni were unwilling to use an earlier flight as it would have cost them more (there were 3 MAS earlier MAS flights between the time we arrived and the one we were loaded on) and I was unwilling to spend so long in transit after such a long flight from the uk.
I think it was the attitude that annoyed me most they said it was not their fault so would not move the flight forward or offer any recompence for the long wait, loss of direct flight or loss of most of a day in Penang.
But as I am going straight to KL I will use it as a base to check out other places.

I to have noticed the increase of flight prices part of this is because MAS has admitted to major financial losses so have put up all flight prices by at least 20% hopeing to recoupe some losses and are trying to sell a lot of its planes and aircraft spares, and is selling its headquarters building in KL and is trying to join the airline alliance that KLM is in so it can furthur cut the routes it flies.
Hmmm... it is quite a price hike isn't it? Thanks for explaining the reasons behind it. Now- Penang is no more for you just now. I 'll bet you'll love KL!
you can fly,to quite a few destinations,from KL,with air asia.great prices as well!
they have a desk at KL airport,it's definately worth,checking out.
tracy
Have been to KL a few times so know what to expect and won't have to spend a time getting my bearings.

I wish the airport was a bit closer to KL as it is a bit of a trek to get there.
rickt!
just looked on the air asia web site.you can get a return flight to penang,from KL,for as little as £15.i just put in dates 20th april-4th may.
it may be worth,having a look,to see if,there are any flights,to coincide,with your arriving flight into KL.
as fiona has said,you have really researched penang,so it seems a shame!
might be an option,
tracy
Have been doing a bit of research on the MAS site and I see they do 3 days in Langkawi flight and hotel packages snd the same for Penang.

Do air asia fly from KLIA or Sebang airport
Might be worth having a look at this depending on when you are flying.
http://www.airasia.com/lcct/main.htm

I used Air Asia in Thailand on our recent stay. They were OK one flight ran early the other was delayed...only airline I have been on where they do Kareoke(sp?). Their 15kg baggage allowance can make the flights a bit more expensive than initially planned. Charged 85baht per extra kilo in Thailand... we were a few kilos over the 15 but they did not charge us..guess it will be about the same charge in Malaysia
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.