Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi Rick
I thought I should split this from the original thread as those who have been to Langawi may not pick up on it. I am in the process of asking for these hotels to be added to our reviews and came across this for the Bayview.
It looks like the City Bay View is actually in the town of Kuah which is OK but not really what western tourists go to Langkawi for. Actually looking at the hotel is looks like a hotel I may have had a meal in when we stayed at the Sheraton Perdana a few years back.

You might want to consider the Berjaya Langkawi...it gets mixed reviews but it is in a good location on the beach with a jungle background and enough restaurants nearby to keep you happy for three nights. We used the Kelong Restuarant located in the bay a few times.

The Pelangi Beach is a good 4 star on the beach...not cheap but well regarded. It seemed to have a good atmosphere when we visited, we've got friends who've just gone back this week, they love it and tend to stay in better hotels than me :)

Upmarket...I've been to the Tanjung Rhu (only for the day unfortunatly) and thats on a great beach.

And if you really wanted to splash out for three days there is also the Datai.

Langkawi is a very easy island to drive around with good roads if you fancy seeing the sights at your own leisure.
The thing that made the bayview tempting was of course the price which was very cheap for a 4 star hotel. but I am not sure of the location.
And they did a cheap 3 day/2 night package which included deluxe room, breakfast, transfers, and half day langkawi trip for 420 RM

Compared to The Andaman that was 1800 RM for 2 nights
and the Datai that was around 2700 for 2 nights

I looked at the Sheraton Perduna and there seems to be major building work (there seem to be 2 Sheratons on the island which is best value).

I notice most of the hotels seems to have the rooms in sperate bungalows which I am not that keen on I like to be above ground but would also like a good beach.
Hi rickt and Sunbear. Hope you don't mind if I piggyback on to this thread - not with a response but also seeking information.

I believe that the other Sheraton is Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. It appears to be in spacious gardens and on a good beach.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/index.html

This hotel appears to be good value for a 4* and the facilities look good. I am a bit concerned however that it will be too 'remote' as we do not like to have to eat in the hotel all the time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter
We stayed at the Sheraton Perdana a few years back. I believe its now being redevloped as a Westin. We visited the other Sheraton on Langkawi and yes it is on a the beach, but there did not appear to be much beachfront....the water quality was much better than the Perdana (although that's not very difficult to achieve).

It was only a day visit, and as I say was a few years ago so the property may have been upgraded in that time but can't say I was drawn to it as much as some of the other hotels in Langkawi we visited. Preferred the Perdana which had much better pools, although the beach was nothing to write home about. Seems to get mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.
the hotels asked about have now been added to our Far East Reviews. Hopefully we have members who can review them.
Thanks for that Sunbear.

From the Sheraton description this hotel has been recently refurbished. The picture of the infinity pool looks good and to quote them:
Nestled amidst 38 acres of spacious, lush, tropical surroundings with an idyllic stretch of private beach coves

Idyllic is , of course' subjective.

Fiona, perhaps you could add the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort to the review page? I could not find it there.

I hope that someone updates the review page on these properties - I will not book for a few months yet, but the research is almost as interesting as the actual trip!

Thanks again

Peter
Peter
I have asked for it- just awaiting admin to add it. Should be there today some time!
I have been comparing reviews on trip advisor and asiarooms and not many hotels come out without some problems.
Thanks Fiona

Sunbear
The Pelangi Beach is a good 4 star on the beach...not cheap but well regarded. It seemed to have a good atmosphere when we visited, we've got friends who've just gone back this week

Could you please tell me what life is like surrounding this hotel - restaurants, shops etc.?

Many thanks

Peter
The Pelangi Beach is in one of the livliest areas of Langkawi, there are a number of local bar and restaurants and shops within walking distance as well as other hotels. However lively is a relative term, as Langkawi is a quiet island in general and even the area around the Pelangi would be regarded as quiet by some holidaymakers.
Sunbear,

Many thanks - this sounds good! Restaurants and some life but not Ibiza!

I think that I have a starting point!

Cheers

Peter
Hi Fiona,

Please note that the site admins have added Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort ( discussed in http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=669157#669157 ) as Sheraton Hotel (location Langkawi).

As this is not the resort title and as there is another Sheraton in Langkawi, I don't think this will be much good.

May I ask that you request that the admins correct the name, please?

Cheers

Peter
Thanks Pete
Have copied your post to admin.
Details of what is happening to the Sheraton Perdana can be found here
http://www.perdanaproject.com/index.html
The correct Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort has now been added. A request has been made to Van to delete the other hotel listed.

Does any one know if it is cheaper to book direct with the hotel, use a travel agent or use one of the many hotel booking websites (if so does any one have any experience of using one and which do they recommend)

I am still trying to decide which hotel to pick but have narrowed it down to 3 or 4.
Rick
have to say there's no right answer for that one! I have booked directly with hotels and also through third parties. Afraid you just have to explore all options.
Have finally booked a langkawi hotel I decided on The Andaman partially because of the nature walks and other activities they offer, I would have loved to try the Datai but it was twice the price and The Andaman is stretching the budget.

I decided to book direct with the hotel all of the other sites seemed to be more expensive after the added their booking fees (and some sites looked really dodgy as well).

A warning don't book flights on the MAS website with a Lloyds TSB credit card if you have not registered for "clicksafe", as it forces you to register it during the transaction asking many personal details on a decidedly dodgy looking website (I thought it was optional and did not do it so my booking has hung for eternity as waiting for payment and no way to change it).
Luckily I was able to book my Langkawi tickets using other means.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.