UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
There's no train line from Edinburgh airport into the city. Your options are bus - about 20 minutes, longer if you hit the rush hour, or taxi.
If you take the train to Edinburgh Waverley you will arrive in the city centre.
It takes 5 to 6 hours from London, depending on which train you get.
Hotels - depends what facilities you are looking for and your budget. If you want to save money look at the Travelodge in St Mary's Street. Very central and they do family rooms.
depending on your rout it will take by rail 6hrs 45 mins to 7 hrs 50 mins

wizard
Thank you Bridd,
No train for Airport to Edinburgh centre :shock:
I couldn't take the stress of putting her on a bus.She'd be sick after two stops!! :(

5-6 hours not too bad, we went to Devon, took about 4 hours.
She was okay on that.

But don't trains cost a lot more than the plane?

Travel lodge sounds good.
We just want a room and breakfast.
For about 3 - 4 nights.
My parents will have there own room, and we will have ours.
Unless they do a big one with two seperate rooms :?:

Maybe we could start in Glasgow, and spend the night in Edinburgh.
Then fly back home from Glasgow.
Thanks Wizard,
I would like to take the fast train, straight through, no changing.
From any central London station.
The National Museum for Scotland in Edinburgh is great for children and entry is free. Dynamic Earth has also been recommended to me (we stay in Glasgow) but it was closed the day we had planned to go.
If you book ahead you can get some good deals on the train (your younger child will be free) and a family railcard can save you even more. We recently went to York using a railcard and it cost us £64 return from Glasgow for 2 adults, a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Virgin does Euston to Glasgow in under 5 hours.
  • Edited by elaine80 2007-05-19 15:37:10
There is no train from Glasgow airport to Glasgow city centre either. Again its bus or taxi and its about the same distance as Edinburgh airport to Edinburgh.
Thanks Elaine,
I had a look for tickets and it was over £400 with my family rail card.
Think I will phone British Rail.

Bridd,
Oh no, when will she grow out of this travel sickness :?
I got a cab from Glasgow airport last time, but I though there was a train to the centre.
I could leave her at home with her dad, but she really wants to visit Scotland.

If I can get cheap rail fare, that should do it. We can go direct from Kings Cross.
Thank you for all you help.
Hi
You could go to Dynamic Earth that is a good day out.

http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/index.asp

The Scottish Parliament

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/home.htm

Edinburgh Vaults (maybe not for the little one though)

http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/vaults.html

Edinburgh Dungeons

http://www.thedungeons.com/

Hope you have a great time whatever you decide 8)
Hi KAZZZZA ... the journey time by train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley via the East Coast Mainline can be as little as 4hrs 20mins, although some trains do take 10-15 minutes longer.

When you compare that against travel time from home to your local airport, check-in time, flight duration to Edinburgh, time spent at baggage reclaim, and then travel time from airport to city centre, you would probably find that rail travel is quicker.

We do have a separate EDINBURGH Q&As thread where you may find more useful info about the city, or might like to ask for more suggestions.
Thanks David,
Any idea who the cheapest are to travel with.
£400 is too expensive for me.
I flew to Glasgow for £50 last May including taxes.
  • Edited by KAZZZZA 2007-05-19 23:51:37
KAZZZZA

Sorry to hear about the wee one and the travel sickness, a real problem. There are plans for rail links to both airports mentioned but I would think they are years away. The nearest train station to Glasgow is Paisley and that is still 5 - 10 mins away by taxi.

No matter what keep us all updated as to what you do. I remember your thread from last year when you were looking for the Munn's, it was great stuff. Just remembered somebody told me it is difficult to book the travel lodge in Edinburgh because the location is so popular so get in early. Just had another thought perhaps someone could recommend somewhere in between Glasgow and Edinburgh but having a rail connection to both (Falkirk ?) not sure though, but you never know.

Wilson :wink:
Thanks David,
Any idea who the cheapest are to travel with.
£400 is to expensive for me.
I flew to Glasgow for £50 last May including taxes

KAZZZZA ... I think from Kings Cross to Waverley, you really only have GNER. You will find details of timetables, fares, special offers, railcards, etc HERE.

For travel within the UK, rail may be quicker than flying, when you take account of those other factors I mentioned before. But rail tickets are not quite as cheap as some of the offers you might get with no-frills airlines.

As far as rail is concerned, if you are intending to visit both Edinburgh and Glasgow, it may be more cost effective to look at a return GNER ticket from Kings Cross to Glasgow Central via Edinburgh.

David :wave
Thank you everyone for you help :D
David I will have a looks a train fares, I would like to take the train, and relax, and it better for the earth :wink:

Hello Wilson,
Nice to know you remember my search for the Munn's.
I have just come back from a tour of the WESTERN FRONT.
I visited the Somme and Ypres (Ieper)
I visited my grand grandfathers grave, and placed a Poppy Wreath on it, plus I went to Thiepval War Memorial and placed a Poppy Wreath there, (for gg uncle John. Munn) we went to Tyne Cot for gg uncleJames Munn) and Last Post at Menin Gate, where I place a Poppy Wreath for all the lost soldiers of the Great War.
A very emotional trip. I took my 11 year old son with me too. (and parents)
Do you know the youngest British soldier to be killed was 13 years old :shock:

Anyway back on subject I hope to visit Edinburgh very soon.
I think I will start off at Glasgow and get the train to Edinburgh , and stay there one night :?

My roots are in Glasgow after all :wink:
  • Edited by KAZZZZA 2007-06-25 11:46:22
Hi David,
I found train fare for £41.00 and £51.00 direct :D
Much better than £400 (for all five of us)

Thanks

Kaz
KAZZZZA

It's a sobering thought to think the youngest soldier was only two years older than your lad. Glad to hear you will be staying in Glasgow again. It put on a show for the Spanish last week for the uefa cup final and seems a great time was had by all despite the rain. That said, Edinburgh is a lovely City too and well worth the effort to get there, the view from the Castle is stunning.

I remember a couple of years ago my wife and I dropped my daughters at Murrayfield for a Robbie Williams concert. We then went into the City and parked up (not easy ..) did the City Tour by open top bus and thought it was fabulous. Lots of good restaurants too.

Wilson :wink:
Rain in Scotland, I hope not, I want another heatwave.
Remember last May I was there is was very hot (that week)

I want to visit Kilmaronock, near Drymen, and no longer on the map.
Not to be confused with Kilmarnock still on the map :wink:

HLI Museum in Sauchiehall Street.

But I really want to see the castle, and son wants to go to the Edinburgh Dungeons.

Are there any boat trips on the Clyde?

As for the boy boy who died in WW1, He didn't write home to his mum, if he did she'd know where he was and could claim him back.
So sad. But what a brave boy, who ever he was.
I saw the grave of a 15 year old :(
It depends when you're planning being in Glasgow but the paddle steamer Waverley sails on the Clyde through the summer from mid-June. For details see http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/sdisp.htm?port1=glasgow&port2=glasgow%20science%20centre and there is a riverboat which goes from the city centre to the Braehead Shopping Centre which is also home to a museum called Clyde Built (http://www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/renfrew.htm).
Ok, we have decided to get a train to Glasgow, and stay there.
Have put Edinburgh of to next year, hopefully my daughter will travel better by then.

Now where can I get the fast train from in London to Glasgow.
Quickest time I can find is 5 hours 45 min's.
But about £41, so that's good.

Hoping to come up in July, midweek.
But will go to Edinburgh for the day to visit the NAS.

Any help regarding a faster train please?

Thank you.

Aye :wink:
KAZZZZA ... 5hrs 45mins ?? Some of the weekend services are slower, but on weekdays you should be able to find journey times of around 4hrs 25mins from London Euston to Glasgow Central with Virgin.

Check out timetables and fares at Virgin Trains or National Rail Enquiries.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.