UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
11 hours ? That must be taking the scenic route - and stopping off for a picnic !! :lol:

Your best route is Euston to Glasgow Central via the West Coast Mainline. (Kings Cross and the East Coast Mainline serves Edinburgh better). I'm not sure if any services are as fast as 4 hours yet, but you should be able to find several with a duration of around 4hrs 25mins.

David :wave
One way of reducing the cost of rail travel can be to book 2 single tickets. This believe it or not can be cheaper than a return.
I did this recently from Harrogate and it was at the suggestion of the booking rep on the telephone. The journey was with Virgin Railways and it cost me £11 Total £22.

I also saw this idea on Martin lewis web site. This man is a genious with information on savings across the board.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com./

SUE
David Scenic route :lol: It must be, I'll give the picnic a miss :wink:

Fastest I have found is 5 hours, that okay with us.
Our hotel (we stayed there last year) has our dates free :D
So Glasgow here we come :lol:

Thank you Sue, great idea :wink:
I saved an extra £15 :wink:
Thank you :D
Delighter to hear that you saved £15 but it was just something I learned and thought it was worth passing on to you.

Now others will try the same and hopefully save also

Sue
Another couple of questions.

1) When we get the train to Glasgow from London, where do we get off for the Kelvingrove end of Sauchiehall Street?
Do we get a train to Charing Cross, and if so how long does it take?

We check in at 2pm, and train arrives to Glasgow at 13.46.
So I want to get to the hotel asap and make the most of our day.

I am hoping to visit the Tenement House before it closes at 5pm.

I was thinking of flying there to get into Glasgow earlier, and taking the train home.
They should get us there a lot earlier so not to waste precious time.

2) Who would be the cheapest airline to fly out there with?

Thank you.
KAZZZZA ... for West Coast Mainline trains from Euston, the only stop in Glasgow is at Central Station on Gordon Street. Your quickest way from there to Kelvingrove would be by taxi from the rank outside the station on Gordon Street, or by bus from the side entrance to the station on Hope Street.

Various airlines fly to Glasgow International Airport and Glasgow Prestwick Airport from London's Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City airports. Easyjet to Glasgow International or Ryanair to Glasgow Prestwick would probably be best price-wise, but much depends on availability for your specific dates.

But as mentioned before, you also have to consider your travel time from home to your most convenient London airport, your check-in of around 90mins/120mins at that airport, the flight duration of around 1hr 30mins, time spent on arrival reaching and then waiting at baggage reclaim, and travel time from the airport to Kelvingrove. When you compare overall journey times, train may be quicker than flying and so the only way of arriving in Glasgow earlier than your current plans allow, is to set off much earlier from home than your current plans require.

The quickest way to get from the Central Station if you don't want to take a taxi would be on the subway.
Nearest station would be St Enoch's which would be about 3 minutes walk. Turn right when you come out of Central Station on to Hope Street walk around 1-2 minutes to the end and this is Argyl street turn left and then a few hundred yards cross over and St Enoch's Square in on your right. Easy and frequent service.
Clean and comfortable and very inexpensive. The nearest station after this is I think Buchanan street. The subway does a circle route and so you cant get lost if you miss the stop then just carry round again. EASY!
It perhaps wouldn't be the best option in this case keela1eva2, as there are no tube stations in the Kelvingrove area which KAZZZZA is going to.

You are probably right in that it depends exactly where he wished to go to. I know that when my daughter was at Glasgow University and I was living in Fife it was very easy to take the subway out there but it depends just exactly where you need to get off. I had not thought he would have baggage etc to take there.

Another good place to visit whilst in Glasgow is the Rennie Macintosh centre at Glasgow University and also all around the city eg Scotland St School Glasgow School of Art to name but a couple and of course THE WILLOW TEA ROOM on Sauchihall street. You can walk all around the city and see his works Queen's Cross Church CRM born 1868-1928. He was indeed a man before his time.
Also the Burrell Collection
The Art Gallery
The Transport Museum. Peoples Palace.
ETC ETC
It is also worth remembering that contrary to most cities Glasgow does not charge a fee for most of these venues or at least they didn't!

Sue
Thank you David and Sue for you answers and ideas :D

David I agree, best to get the train, at least we can RELAX.
Ok so we get off at Central Station and get the cab outside, that's great :wink:

Sue I know the Enoch Centre, great shops there, we walked there from our hotel last year. Some great shop there :D
Won't have too much luggage, not until we go home :wink:

Thanks for ideas on where to visit.

I need to get the train to Clydebank too (where great grandad lived and worked at Singers)
Hope it is not too hard too find.
What is in the Singers spot now?

Oh an what day do the shop open late??

Thank you

Kazzzza aka Karen :D
What day are all the shops open late on Glasgow, amy be could arrive on this day, as long as it's a week day, and shop!!!!!
The Singer site is now a business park (I work there!) and there are regular trains from the city centre to both Clydebank and Singer stations which are quite close together but on different lines.
If you have a Balamory fan with you, make sure you allow a few minutes for the Transport Museum as there are a number of Balamory items there including Spencer's trike and Edie's bus.
Late night shopping is Thursday in Glasgow and the Buchanan Galleries beside the Concert Hall is worth a trip for some retail therapy!
Thanks Elaine,
No Balamory fans with us, but my daughter likes the programme, so I might see if I an take some pic's for her.

Yes I forgot there was a Singer station, I will get off there.
Are there any old buildings in Clysebank or was it all bombed in the Blitz?

We have decided to stay an extra night to fit it all in :wink:
I better bring a empty case lol

Karen
Most of what I see in Clydebank is modern buildings but there are some older buildings that survived the Blitz and the 1960s. If you're in Clydebank around a mealtime there's a boat moored on the canal just at the Clyde Shopping Centre and it houses McMonigles which is a fish and chip restaurant.
Hi Karen :wave

When you get a chance can you email me with your dates up here and we can try and meet up.

I don't know how but I will try and find out if can get the church opened up for you this visit :shrug

Graham

ps this is only a few minutes from your hotel and that bar you were in :glynis and I think you might like it.

http://www.hunterian.gla.ac.uk/index.html
Thank you Elaine,
I will make sure we are there at lunch time, mums loves fish, so we can plan to fit that in with our visit to Clydebank.

Graham,
It would be great to meet you this time, I will email you our dates.Same hotel as before.

Someone said to put my head round the door in Saracens :? but I think they were joking :? :?:

Karen
Thank you David.

I am having a NIGHTMARE here :(
Thrying to book the trains, the cost is coming up £17.50 each way on the computer, but much much more when I try to book :shock: :?

Now cheaper to fly, but I really want to get the train, I have tried changing date with no luck.

It seems only Virgin do the trains.

Help!!!Any ideas???

Karen :cry:
Your options are Euston to Glasgow via the West Coast line with Virgin, or Kings Cross to Glasgow via Edinbugh and the East Coast line with GNER. Using Virgin on the West Coast line should be quicker, but fares may depend on your specific dates. What are they ?

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.