UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Sue,
Glad your head is better.
Sorry to hear about you husband, very sad, and so young too :(
My mum in law was born in Scotland, but her grandparents were from Ireland.
I have traced my Scottish ancestors back to the late 1600's, so I tell her I am from pure Scottish stock :lol:
She is off to Ireland this year, to Cavan.

Thanks Garry, I have copied some maps.
Makes life a lot easier.
Think I will get the bus to People's Palace from Tenement House though, as we want to do it all before it shuts.
We have two hours to do Tenement House, HLF Museum then onto People's Palace. Hope we fit it all in :?

Hi Graham,
Did you get my email with dates etc....?
Glad at least Scott Street still mainly Tenement style housing :D
We can spend a couple of hours there, in Dalmuir and Clydebank, before heading up to Kilmaronock, to Mavie Mill cottage where my gg grandmother lived, and was also married :D

I will now look at the links for Italian RESTAURANTS, Thanks Fiona :wink:

Karen
Hi Karen
Whilst out and about today, drove past Scott street. :) Have in fact probably driven past it literally hundereds of times,but never paid much attention to the Street name before today. I've lived all of my life in the West end of Glasgow,so I'm much more familiar with the street names here and in the City Centre.
As Graham said, one side of the road is still tenements :D with the other side being high rise flats.
You were talking of Glasgow pubs before,although I know we're outwith "the boundary" here :wink: :lol: " The Mountblow" pub is right on the corner of Scott street and forms part of the tenement buidings. You could maybe take a look when you're here.
Hope you enjoy it all.
Hi Karen

Yes email reeceived :tup

I have emailed you back with the other info re your visit.

Graham
Thanks Fiona, if the Mountblow is a old pub, my family might have in drank in there :wink:

Cheers Graham :wink:
See you soon for a wee dram :D

I have lots of info from Clydebank library.
They are sending me down some maps, and ifno what they hold regards to family research.
It's a pity but they have no old photo's of the street's I mentioned earlier :(
Not from 1890's -early 1900's.

Karen
Graham,
I have just look at the Menu, I am feeling peckish now lol
And I had a look at The Pot Still, all those Whisky's and the food looks good there too.
I will have to go on a diet before I go, just to put it all on again.
Sounds delicious.
Karen
I can see now why the tenements on the other side of Scott street are no longer there!!
http://www.theclydebankstory.com/image.php?inum=TCSA00026
Fiona thank you for that, I just printed it off for my file :wink:
What a mess :evil:
No wonder my gg grandfather ended up living in Lochgilphead, looks like most of Clydebank was damaged very badly.
I have just found some more of my families address, with some Glasgow ones included. :lol:
I will be busy trying to find them all.

Parkhill Ave (1883)

Carfin Street , I think this was in the Gorbals, they married in the Gorbals anyway (1904)

4, Union Street Clydebank (1914)

Bridge St, Dumbarton (1940)

Hill Street, Glasgow (1910)

Church Street, Maryhill, Glasgow (1910)

Temple Gardens, Glasgow (1913)

Kerr Avenue, Saltcoats (1935)

Bridge Street Dumbarton (1940)

1857- 1894 they lived in Byrson's Land, Munn's Land (they were the Munn's) and Stewarts Land. Main Street, Duntocher. O.K

Anyone know of any of these roads/streets?

Karen :D
Hi Karen
Yes they certainly made an awful mess of Clydebank. :( My Mum remembers those times well. She's 80 and has lived in the west side of Glasgow all her life,apart from when she was evacuated with her brothers and sisters :).Although she was in an air raid shelter,near her then home in Knightswood ,with her family during the Blitz at Clydebank.
My Grandfather was a shipwright at John Browns at that time. He worked at quite a few of the shipyards along the Clyde and was one of those who helped build the Queen Mary.

Anyway,I know a couple of your places....Ooh,yes you definitely are going to be busy! :lol:
Temple Gardens is still there. Still the old tenement flats.It's just off Crow road and Strathcona drive at Anniesland.
Church street , Maryhill is now known as Sandbank street. Just off Maryhill road near Gairbraid avenue. There are only a few tenements left there and a few other older properties. The old Church is still standing,but it's now been converted into flats.:)
Think if I remember correctly, Hill st. is at Garnethill near Cowcaddens in the City Centre. There's a big Chinese community in that area now (for as long as I can remember) although a lot of the old buildings are still there. :)
Hi Fiona,

I was very busy last night, on Google Maps :lol:
All the roads/streets I wanted are still there :D
Apart from the "Lands" which would have been named after the oerson/owner at the time.
Munn Land etc......

It's a shame Singers was destroyed, I would have loved to see it as all the family worked there. I can't find any decent pictures of it, only the clock tower :? Or when it was destroyed :shock: I want to see it in it's full glory. :D

Is the Gorbals still called the Gorbals?
I have mentioned it to a couple of people and they have never heard of it :shock: :?:
Maybe "No mean City" made them change it's name :lol: :lol:

Well I have a ful list of things to do, places to go, streets to see.

Thank you all so much for you help :D
I will let you know how we get on.

PS I am already planning next years trip with my parents and two children to Edinburgh and the Highlands. (If she is still sick I will leave the Highlands out for her :? )
Hubby can Florida alone :wink:

Hi Karen
The Gorbals is still called The Gorbals and is very much still there :) But, lots of the high rise flats that replaced the old "No mean City" tenements have also been demolished.
Glasgow Sheriff Court is at the Gorbals.

Have you seen this old picture of singers,to the left,and all the workers waiting for their train!
http://www.theclydebankstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TCSA00069&PHPSESSID=fc2e41da4fa3e21131379307e4fe5727
Fiona :shock:
All those people :shock: :shock:
I bet my great grandad and his brothers and sisters were there.

I'll have to find the date.

Wonderful pic, looks like RUSH HOUR :lol:

Thanks

i see you mention
Kilmaronock, to Mavie Mill cottage

Do you mean Kilmarnock?

Garry
Hi Garry,
No Kilmaronock is a different place to Kilmarnock. :shock:

KILMARONOCK is a parish lying across the foot of Loch Lomond, Dumbartonshire.
It contained Drymen and Caldarvan railway stations.
Extends from Enderick river to vicinity of Balloch post town of Alexandria.
That was from 1878.

It is not a most new maps either? :?

But I know it's real because I have been to Kilmaronock church graveyard.
A beautiful part of the country too.

What time do they play the bagpipes at Edinburgh castle?
Is it every day at?

Hi Karen
If you go to http://www.theclydebankstory.com/
Click on "Transport" at the bottom of the column on the left of the page, scroll down to "Railways" and if you click on the picture next to that heading,you'll get a wee bit better info.about it and you'll see it's 1906 and a photograph of the entire workforce.:lol:
Sorry,can't give you the direct link to it, for some reason or another it won't let me!!!
  • Edited by FionaI 2007-05-31 21:00:21
Very good Karen 10/10

KILMARONOCK is a parish lying across the foot of Loch Lomond, Dumbartonshire.
It contained Drymen and Caldarvan railway stations.
Extends from Enderick river to vicinity of Balloch post town of Alexandria.
That was from 1878.

You are getting to know my little bit of this country :lol:
Hi Karen and all,

It's my country and even I'm learning so much ! :lol:

Wilson :wink:
:D :D

My great grandad would have been proud :wink:

He would have been 12 when the railway opened, so I doubt he was in the pictures, but his older brother may have been.
That is the year his mother died too :(

Graham,
YOU have taught me well :wink:
Karen if you want to come up here for 6 months a year as hubby suggests you are very welcome, you can be an honoury Scot. :wink
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.