General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
That's something I often do. I read The Beach in Thailand and Alfred Russel Wallace's The Malay Archipelago when I was in Malaysia. Kind of gets me to read stuff that normally I would never touch.
Try "The Bad Mothers Hand Book" from Tescos. Hilarious if you don't mind people looking at you gone out!!
i would recomend anything by Bill Bryson he is a great travel writer and really really funny. just finished reading "neither here nor there" which is pretty damm funny and about his adventures around europe. but can also recomend "down under" him traveling around oz, and my favourite "nots from a small island.
here is a link, http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/
You can easily buy any of these books from any good book shop, and probaly really easy to find in the airport book shops aswell.
Have to agree with that I really like Bill Bryson, can add " A Walk in the Woods" to the list of recommended Brysons (you will meet an old friend from "Neither Here Nor There" in it, in that Stephen Katz re-emerges!)
ayeah read that as well, really good! also read short history of nearly everything which is great although probably not holiday material!
Try "The Bad Mothers Hand Book" from Tescos. Hilarious if you don't mind people looking at you gone out!!

I was looking at this one the other day, but I've already bought Da Vinci Code, and don't want to spend too much time with my head in a book. Might get it for next year though, if it's still in the shops.

My son (aged 15) bought the new Harry Potter book yesterday morning and was going to save it to read on the plane, but temptation got the better of him yesterday afternoon and he's now finished it :shock: So he'll be reading Kerrang and Nuts from WHSmith at the airport (not buying them any sooner than that - he'll just read them at home otherwise) :roll:
Can really recommend Amitav Ghosh - 'The Glass Palace' and 'The Hungry Tide'. Both set in India and absolutley wonderful reading. A quick plea here - if anyone has a copy of his 'Calcutta Chromosome' that they can bear to part with I would buy it in a minute (unfortunately out of print at the moment.) I always leave my read books in the hotel reception for anyone to pick up. Can also recommend anything by Paulo Coello - very mystical and thought provoking (but only thin volumes so you can take lots without stretching your baggage allowance!)
My sister bought me ' The Graft ' by Martina Cole.
I have put it away for my holidays in September.
If you like Martina Cole, try the books by Mandasue Heller. These are very similar, gritty tales, set in Manchester.
Got mine via Amazon.

Carol
Is the graft out in paper back yet?
Yes, got mine last week via Tesco on line.

Haven't read it yet (saving the best for my hols :D ).

I'm halfway through reading The Ivy Chronicles by Karen Quinn. It's about a woman who loses her job, husband and plush apartment in one day. She eventually reinvents herself as a private school admissions adviser. It's quite funny in places and an easy read.

Carol :wink:
Asda have 'the graft at £3.60'

will try Mandasue Heller Carol, thanks
I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code,couldn't put it down! I also got the Robbie Williams book 'Feel' at the airport but found it such hard going i bought it back to try and finish! but I got the new Harry Potter book at weekend so I'll have to read that first.
McBabe

Titles for Mandasue Heller: The Front, Forget Me Not and Tainted Love - all of which I've read and enjoyed.

Her latest novel, The Game, is sitting in my wardrobe, waiting to be read. I tend to collect books en-masse from my favourite authors.
It sits alongside The Graft, Martina Cole, Trace, Patricia Cornwell, The Bad Mothers Handbook, Kate Long, Blood Knot, Denise Ryan (another similar to Martina Cole, but set in Liverpool) and last but not least, The Girl from Barefoot House, Maureen Lee.

I had gift vouchers recently for mother's day so bought all my fav books in one go :D

Now all I need is time to read them :lol:
Carol :wink:
Two more for you Martina Cole Mandasue Heller fans.Run for Home and Bad Moon Rising by Sheila Quigley.Suit you Mackems.
Agree Martina Cole, Mandasue Heller and Harlen Coben really good reads.

P.J.Tracy want to play....also a very good book

I enjoy Lesley Pearce books for some easy reading.

On holiday this year I read Sara Payne A Mothers Story......very sad but well worth a read.
Briar,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Can anyone else recommend any books set in Egypt (with the exception of Murder on the Nile, Whisper in the Sands and the River God trilogy by Wilbur Smith). I really enjoy reading books set in the country I am in and would love some recommendations.

For anyone going to Egypt, I can really, really recommend RG -it is fantastic.

Cheers,

Georgina :lol:
Hi,

Re the request for recommended reading set in Egypt I would anything by Ahdaf Souif, an Egyption women novelist. Both 'The Map of Love' and 'In the Eye of the Sun' are available in English translation and are good meaty holiday reads.

SM
Books I read this time are:

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisenberg (Love this book!)
Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding (needs no intro)
Dot.Homme - Jane Moore (Loved this one as well, read it for the first time)
Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl - Tracy Quan (Good read, quite racy, ending a bit abrupt)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.