General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I took The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons to Lanzarote with me this summer. Couldn't put the blooming things down - burnt my legs one day because I was so engrossed in the book. :roll: Even read them when it was too hot to sleep at 1am :lol: Finished them both with several days to spare before we came home. One thing - Angels & Demons is actually before The Da Vinci Code as far as timescale of the stories goes, but it doesn't really matter, both books can be read individually. Another thing - does anyone think the plot of either book is far too similar to the other one? I read The Da Vinci Code first and when I came to read Angels & Demons I more or less knew what was going to happen with each character because it was far too similar.
Still, a blooming good read, both books or just one, take your pick, although I thought Da Vinci Code was just that little bit more "wow", every second or third page was a revelation. 8) Cool.
The stories are bound to have a bit of similarity to them because of the main character`s profession, but like you say, it doesn`t detract from the reader`s enjoyment. I`m going to get Digital Fortress and Deception Point after I`ve finished this one, also would like to see the film of The Da Vinci Code when it`s released, to see how well they stick to the actual book.
Read all the four Dan Brown books they were great. Even hubby managed to get through the four of them, normally it takes him 2 weeks to read half a book that gets left in the hotel and he never knows how it finishes. Just lent them to my Dad today hope he enjoys them.
I soooo agree with what everyone's has been saying about Da Vinci Code & Angels & Demons.

Each time I recommend the Da Vinci Code I have to explain that its not a 'heavy going' book like it sounds! :D

I agree with loads of the recommendations on here, but one other author I always recommend is Ben Elton. (With the exception of This Other Eden, which I didn't like)

His books are full of highs and lows and also so.......feasible :o

You'll be chuckling away to yourself and everyone'll think you are mad! :D
Ive been reading a boy called it and a man called david - they are really sad but so good and they had me hooked.
I don't read much at home but over the last few years I have read at least two books on every holiday.
I have read all of Barbara Taylor Bradford and love her stories. Has anyone read her books and can recommend other authors who are similar please? I also like the style of Joanne Trollope.
I dont like "just romance" or "lots of violence".
I would appreciate any advice please. We are off to Malta next month and I want to be prepared.
Regards Sue
hi.to.you....sue.. :) my wife recommends ,josephine cox,.audrey,.lyn andrews,.margret dickinson,.anna jacobs...as you can see she likes to read..p.s stop press......emma blair.....regards ..johndoe i like a bit of blood/guts.... :)
hi again .sue... :) it should read (excuse the pun) audrey howard...johndoe
I've been reading Danielle Steel books since I was 18 (now 40). They have become soooo predictable and after I read every new one I say I'm not reading her books anymore..... but I always do!! I also love Martina Cole, at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, but they are quite violent so you wouldn't like them. I also like an author, can't think of her name right now, she wrote City Girls/City Women etc. I love taking good books on holiday and settling down on my lounger at the poolside for the day. God help anyone that disturbs me :evil: I usually get comfy then I get "Mum......." :!:
I have just read a book by Martine McCutcheons mum, and it although was her harrowing story of her as a child, it was a good read.

It has alot of issues in it, but what a brave lady she is.
Katie fforde for some gentle fun romances with a bit of a plot and some class!

Mavis Cheek for some witty romps

I also enjoyed Helen Fielding's (Bridget Jones diary) Olivia Joules and the Over-active Imagination :)
The Bronze Horseman and its sequel Alexander and Tatiana are fantastic books by Paulinna Simons. Probably take you the whole fornight to read them.
Many thanks to everyone for all suggestions. I now have a good list of possible authors. I even had a look on E bay as its easy to find titles and read a brief resume.
Regards Sue
Just finished a book called Kaitlyn by Kevin Lewis available in Tesco for about £3.50 paperback. About a girl who comes from notorious estate and is brought up by her drug addict mother. Her step-brother is taken into care. Its about her life and the life of the brother who gets adopted by a well to do family with a few twists. I couldn't put it down.
Hi all

Whilst in Tenerife for three weeks over christmas I read Sharon Osbournes autobiography 'Extreme'. I bought it at the airport on the way out, I started reading it on the plane and by the third day of the holiday I had read it, I just couldn't put it down.

Rgds Jackie
I have just started to read Daniella Westbrooks book. Difficult to put down too.
Im reading that too Debb

Kath x
hi :

i am in the middle of sharon osbournes auto great reading its wonderful!

i can also recommend sophie kinsella shopaholic's tales great light reading
got them all!

also like tisonlymoi said ps, i love you by cecellia ahearn

anything also by cathy kelly OR sheila o'flanagan

hope this helps you

lou x
I love 'real stories ' best, I have just read loving george by Alex Best - a really good read , couldn't put it down , another good one I read in Greece last year is The Damage Done by warren fellows a true tale of life inside the notorious Bangkok Hilton.
When it comes to fiction I love all books by Veronica Henry - sort of Jilly Cooper type romps.
I loved Hotel Babylon - read in 2 days in Egypt , then read the follow up Air Babylon in 2 days in Goa.
They are loosely based on true stories form within London's finest hotels and the airline industry - could not put either down.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.