America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
No idea whether or not it's a good deal but I would drive to Vegas from SF and take in Yosemite on the way, even if it means spending a couple of less days in Vegas. But that's just me. :)
I'm not sure on the prices to be honest. In September you can get good deals to West Coast USA (Vegas is often excluded though) but this of course would be from London. In September 2007 I paid £375 each for two return flights to LA, and basing it on that, that would mean the accommodation part of your quote would be £1110 which seems high for 8 nights, especially in Vegas where hotel deals are commonplace.

Personally I wouldn't book anything until much nearer the time. Book the time off work of course, but hold fire and keep checking Expedia for examples of flight prices for the dates you want to go. This will give you an idea, but I would always recommend checking the actual airline websites as well. If you look at other Vegas threads on here you will see a website mentioned called Fat Wallet, this is where all the Vegas hotel deals are posted with links to booking (most often direct with the hotels) and you will get some great deals on there, although not until much nearer the time. In September 07, all my bookings were made in July.

As for the itinerary. 8 nights in total really isn't going to do either city justice to be honest but if that is all the time you have, then you should be able to see the highlights. I would also recommend a trip via Yosemite on the way to Vegas but not at the expense of any days in either city. 3 nights in San Francisco will give you barely time to touch the surface, especially as you will be tired on the first night and just wanting to sleep, and so in effect you are only having 2 full days in the city, nowhere near enough in my opinion.
5 nights in Vegas will certainly be enough time to see the majority of sights closeby but whether you will have time to venture further afield is difficult to judge. My personal opinion is that if you are stuck with 8 nights, then I would split the two in half, 4 and 4 and stick to the strip for Vegas and save your trips outside the cities for another time.

Of course if you increase the duration of your trip this will open up a number of opportunities for you. :tup

BTW Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf is a good choice, and Bally's is solid, if not spectacular. Try the MGM which often beats Bally's for deals and is a far superior hotel.
My experience of Vegas flights in September time is that they are higher than £375, although we fly from Glasgow. We seem to get it for around £500 each year, cheapest was £440. I am currently looking for flights for next year and I can't get less than 2 stops at a good price, so I have to wait for now.

As for San Francisco, I wasn't that impressed to be honest. We flew over from Vegas for a day and it was cold and there were lots of homeless people. Golden Gate was nice to see. Fisherman's Wharf didn't particularly impress me. I think maybe I've got a problem....whereby I love Vegas too much and I just wanted to be back in Vegas!!!

Definitely try packaging it up yourself too - you may find stopover flights on INVALID URL and also maybe expedia do it under a detailed search option. As jwhiting said, Bally's is absolutely fine, but I think you might find better deals. We got a MGM Celebrity Spa suite for $89/$99 per night this September, and also Orleans for $27! I think there will also be good rates around next year. Orleans is already coming up at $57, Excalibur widescreen rooms at $81, Mirage at $89.
we have just returned,from the holiday inn express,fishermans wharf on tuesday.
we booked it last nov,with united vacations.for me,my husband & 8 year old grandaughter,we paid £2100,for 4 nights in SF & 10 nights in orlando.
could not fault the hotel,central to everything,clean,nice rooms,free buffet breakfast,which we actually used,as our body clocks,were up the wall,so we were waking up,about 5 every morning!
we had 3 full days there,not including,the day we landed,about 1 in the afternoon & we were kept busy,every day,plenty to see & plenty of trips.
you will love both SF & vegas,but i would want it,a little bit cheaper.
tracy
just noticed,you are going to the holiday inn,not express,but they are right next to each other.went in the holiday inn,when we ate at the denny's there.again central to everything & was certainly nice & clean.
tracy
I m not sure if you realise but the British Midland Manchester to Las Vegas flight has been cancelled as well as their other transatlantic routes and Caribbean routes from Manchester.

So i am afraid you won't be able to fly in Sept from Manchester direct .
:(
Just returned from SF (late Sep). Got a good deal on BA flight with Expedia (LHR - SFO £309). I know hotels are quite expensive if you stay in the city (we paid about £110 a night at the Nob Hill Motor Inn, good though if you have a rental car as most hotels charge for parking not this one). Agree with the earlier post about driving SF to Vegas, I would love to do it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.