Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Please don't worry about silly stories. Gumbet is not like Marmaris, it is a lot smaller and, in my opinion, much nicer. It does get very busy in the height of season but if you don't want to go to the really busy places where people dance on the tables then it is very easy to avoid these places. I lived in gumbet for a few years and I have never been dragged into a bar or pulled up to dance on a table, but then i never went into that kind of place.

We went back for a holiday this year with my parents who are both in their 70s and they enjoyed themselves, we stayed at the Siesta Beach which is next to the Tropicana. Both hotels are very nice, at the quiet end of town, right on the beach but just 10 minutes from the centre. We never went to any noisy places but ther are plenty of nice places to go without being over the top.

You are also close to bodrum for a day or a night out, the dolmus stops just outside the Tropicana.

I'm sure you will have a good time, Gumbet can be as laid back or wild as you like but it is certainly not like Marmaris!

If you want to know anything else please just ask.

Kedi
I think you don't have to worry
If you want something more relaxing take a trip to yalikavak
near fisherments town 20km from gumbet

rgds jeroen
We've been going to Gumbet for years and now have bought our own place there (our ages range from 27 to 63) and we've never yet been pulled into a bar or made to dance on a table. We can't say we've been pestered either. Yes they do ask you to go into their bar, restaurant or shop but a smile and a polite no thanks does the job.

We went to Marmaris in June for a change and I didn't really like it, I much prefer Gumbet. It's far less frantic and (I found) much friendlier. Yes, Bar St is there (but it's only small) but there's loads of other places to go for a really good evening - as quiet or as noisy as you want.

We fly out there again on Monday (only been back home there for four weeks) and I can't wait.
i came back 2 weeks ago.

I had a fantastic time, because of my friends, and the owners at the dost apts.

But would i return, well that would have to be a no.

personally i would leave gumbet to the 18-30 gang, and the waiters who seem to think that every woman on her own is meat.

how i so wish i'd booked Bitez
hi ...I have booked gumbet, hotel next to yours siesta beach and i have had the same concerns, but after some good advice on here about were to go ect i'm not going to change resorts, but if i find the nightlife to rowdy i'll get a cab in to bitez ,lets hope we've made the right choice :think
kathy :cheers
maybe if your in a mixed group, then you are ok.

But if you are a group of 4 women, well it is a nightmare

The constant hassle just isn't worth it, your touched, kissed, stroked, pestered the life out of to dance. And i just wish i'd a pound for each time i said 'no thank you' to some waiter who whilst pulling at my arm wanting me to dance. And i'ts not just the waiters in the bars, it also has now moved onto the shop keepers, who when putting a bag over your neck just gently touch you. Or when your asking about the size of jeans, use there arms round your waist as a tape measure.

It just spoils your holiday, Bietz was just so laid back none of the above. I'm so glad that we found Bietz.

I was also informed by the owner of molly malones bar that it is a family bar, well how wrong can anyone be.

If your idea of a family bar, is topless men waiters dragging women up onto the dance floor, then great.

But for me this is nowhere near a childrens bar.

Don't get me wrong there are some lovely areas of gumbet, and some lovely people.

But what goes on in bar street, doesn't now just stay in bar street, it is moving into other bars in the area, and spoiling it for some people.

It really is ashame as when i last visited 8 years ago it was nothing like this.

Am i put of by turkey not in the least, infact i'm looking to go back next year, but this time i'm going to make a much better job of researching my resort.

I only wish that i'd done it this time.
Gumbet doesn't have to be rowdy and I have never been hassled in all the time I spent there. There are plenty of places to go where you don't get people dancing on tables and topless waiters, that isn't my idea of fun either!

I think there are a lot of places claiming to be family bars but I wouldn't take my children into them, although you do see kids in there. I prefer to take my children to somewhere quiet, along the beach is nice. To be honest I don't think anywhere could claim to be a children's bar - in my mind children and bars don't really go together anyway!
Hell on earth, but thats only my opinion.

Think Benidorm, Kavos, Malia or any other Brits abroad community. Realise that may offend some on here but thats the way I see te resort. Stayed there in 2001 and had an okay time, passed through whilst staying in Bitez in 2007 and detested the place.

Bodrum still retains some charm and all of the smaller resorts on the peninsula are much nicer.
We had been to Gumbet three times early and late season and loved it the we decided to go for three weeks two to Gumbet and one week in Icmeler the last week in July and first two weeks in August. What a nightmare we could not believe the difference in high season. Every bar was bang bang music if they were playing music you knew as soon as you sat down and ordered your drinks they changed it. This was not just bar street it was all over. The last week when we transferred up to Icmeler was pure heaven, yes there were loud music bars but then as now you could still find lots of places to chill out and relax. We have never been back to Gumbet since.
Margaret
I found Gumbet more in your face than Marmaris and a lot more expensive for nearly everything.
Gumbet was not for me either. I would never return but we still enjoyed it. You will find places that you like- you just have to go with a positive view. You are close to Bodrum which is worth a few nights in. :)
And Bitez is lovely and relaxed.
Gumbet is between Bitez (a few minutes drive one way) and Bodrum (5 minutes drive the other way).

It has changed over the years, no doubt about it, and it does now cater more for the British market than any other. Its not my cuppa anymore, but only because I now have a child, and don't want to be out all hours listening to bang bang music. You can still find quiet places in Gumbet to chill, but they aren't in the main bar/restaurant areas in general.

I still love the area though, Bitez in particular is just about right for a family holiday for us now.

Elaine
Well I have just booked a holiday here for May as its one of the last areas of Turkey we havent visited.
I was looking for a hotel in my favourite place Icmeler when the hotel Parkim Ayaz came up on the Portland website at an amazing price.Its also HB so if the pound crashes against the TL at least we can still eat :rofl
I remember being offered this hotel years ago before Bodrum airport was opened ,but remember reading good reviews.The hotel will just be a base as we intend to travel around the Bodrum peninsular.
I didnt like Olu Deniz so may not like Gumbet but I can always book a holiday to Icmeler when I get back. :sun2
we also didnt like gumbet, way too british, full of loud bars and we got lots of hassle, and a lot more expensive an area than other parts of turkey we have been too, i wouldnt recommend it or return there. we visited a lot of the resorts around this area in may turgutreis, bitez,yalikavak, all quite nice but all very expensive and had very stoney beaches ,so it was painful getting in and out of the sea, but if youre not bothered about sandy beaches or the prices then the small areas around gumbet are fine
Yes, Gumbet is very British and touristy I can't deny that, however if you wander away from the main area you can still find some very nice, reasonably priced places to eat and drink. It isn't all loud and full of hassle. The lady has already booked her holiday and I am sure she can have an enjoyable time if she stays away from bar street. We have stayed in the hotel next to where she is going to with my parents, who are in their 70s and none of us like noisy, British bars, karaoke and crowded restaurants but we all had a good time. We ate at small local restaurants and had a few drinks in quiet bars where we got no hassle. It can be done, I promise ;)
I am not bothered about beaches on holiday because we have some of the best sandy beaches in the UK here on our doorstep.
I must admit I did book it because of the hotel reviews and the price as it is not our main holiday.That will be to Austria in July.
We are HB and the only complaints about the food Ive read,is its too "Turkish!".This suits us fine and as its the first week of the season it shouldnt be too busy.I dont drink and my hubby only drinks Efes but wont pay more than 4TL for it. :rofl
At the price I am paying I couldnt go to a B&B in any British sea side resort.
As for hassle my husband has the answer to that,He speaks to them in German!.
I have been to Gumbet 5 times and loved every minute off it,Going back this year again :cheers
We first went to Gumbet 17 years ago - dead quiet, we really liked it but had a few nights in Bodrum, we haven't been back and probably won't be. About 2 years ago we went to Turunc on advice of friends - it was super - no hassle, a few lively bars and loads of friends.
I chose Gumbet as a base as we havent visited the Bodrum area,We will be travelling around the peninsular by Dolmus and spend time walking too.We will probably spend our evenings in Bodrum.
I found Turunc to quiet for a holiday although we visit it every time we go to Icmeler by boat as that road is too scary. :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.