America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
It would be easier to buy a hair straightener when you are over here (in the US). You should be able to find one for well under 10 pounds, and probably nearer 5 pounds for a cheap one.
I have exactly the same problem - my GHD's don't work either. I go a week on Sunday and am going to be buying American straighteners over there or the alternative is two weeks of bad hair days. :roll:
It is the same with California as well as florida?

Why wont they work?

Thank you.
Hi there

It is not that they won't work it is just that they will be very slow or sluggish and will not heat up enough. It is due to the voltage only being 110v over there and our appliances are made to work with 240v. My daughter found this out earlier in the year when she took her GHD's to Florida. Agree with earlier posts, better to buy some out there!
It's not just the voltage that's the problem as if that were the case the voltage converters you can buy would solve it. There is also the problem of the wattage that they use. Straigheners use 55 watts whereas the standard voltage converter will only work on appliance using up to 45 watts. You can get ones that will do higher wattage but they are expensive and from what I've seen quite bulky. I would just recommend that you buy another pair over there as it's much easier and cheaper.
Cheers everyone. Work colleagues think I am nuts as theyre wives had no problems but they are men! Sorry guys. Will just buy them there.
Love from mop head x
I keep straighteners, tongs and hairdryers for guest to use.
I'm off to New York, Vegas and Florida on 7th Nov. Can anyone recommend a store in NYC were I can buy a good pair of hair straightners. I have the GHDs but looking at this thread it seems a lot easier to buy a pair.

Thanks
Nicky
I just went to walgreens for mine.
Good old walgreens :wink: I am going for 4 weeks so will definitely will be visiting this shop, mega big.
Got L'Oreal straighteners from Walmart for $19.99. They done the job though not anything like GHDs. Worth getting though. Very jet lagged AllyT
I plan to buy some over there. My cousin lives in NY and she has straighteners for those of us who use them in the family as it's easier, so we decided I should buy some when over in Florida and then I have a few friends I can pass them round.
Hi, I have searched I thought there was another thread on this but can't find it.

Anyhow I took my GHD's, they took a little longer to heat up but they worked fine for me.

Next time though I would buy a pair in walgreens etc as I was worried about putting the GHD's in the case :oops: :lol: They are not cheap! :lol:

HTH
Jaime C :wave
I think this is the post that Jaime was referring to:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=91204&highlight=

U2fan
Thats it! Thanks U2Fan!

Jaime C :wave
You can buy Ghds for the USA and other countries on their website.
I've got a pair of gas butane travel straighteners and found them to be better than the ones I bought in the USA but no where near as good as my GHD's.

My hair is straight and fine so the travel ones are ok for me, it just takes longer as I have to do smaller, thinner sections. I'm not sure how good they would be on thicker hair.
Does anyone know if Remington Wet to Straight hair straighteners will work in orlando????? these are the best ones i have ever used. if not can anyone recommed a place where i would be able to buy some cheap
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.