General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Sue

I`m no electrial expert, but the reason why things take longer to get hot, including the kettle, is because Spain uses 220v.

Most electrical goods are now made to run in most parts of Europe, hence the 220-240v.
As we run on the 240 v here in the UK, we notice the reduction in the voltage even though it is only 20volts, when boiling a kettle for example...it seems to take forever, but in reality it is only a short time longer.
This may apply to the hair straightners, as they work on an element/plate just like an iron that you use for your clothes.
The fuse must always be the same rating that is in the product when bought....whether in Spain or not.!

Patience my child :roll: :rofl

Besos xxx
SanJi
Ok, thanks for that Sanji, I was wondering if I could buy a different adaptor which would make them hotter but after reading your reply then I guess the answer is no. The straighteners flash a light when they are hot enough and this was happening in Spain but I think that however long I left them to heat they would never reach the temp that they do in the U.K. Perhaps I should just get a blade 1 at the barbers then I won't have a problem. :lol: :lol:

Sue :) :)
Hi Sue

I think it has something to do with the hertz (cycles per second) alternating current per second (AC)

I think that means, that even if voltages are similar, a 60-hertz appliance will not function properly on 50 hertz current :shrug
Why do you think I had my hair scalped on boxing day in Beni. :D
I really don`t know the answer, I`m just having a wild guess here.....There must be some difference, coz some British appliances do not work in Spain like a TV for example :shrug

besos xxx
SanJi
Electricity supply throughout Europe is supposed to be 230V +/- 10%. What this means in practice is that we in the UK still use 240V and Spain still uses 220V! Equipment will "work" at any voltage in that range but things which just "get hot" like kettles, toasters and hair straighteners will not get as hot because the power they can use goes down by a whopping 20% (power is related to voltage squared). In the case of hair straighteners, all you can do to get them hotter is stop the heat escaping too fast, so don't use them out on the balcony. If you like living dangerously you could put some sort of heat insulator over them like a folded towel but be very careful you don't burn the hotel down!
The reason TV sets don't work is because we use the PAL/I system and Spain uses the PAL/BG system. The difference is the way the sound is handled, so you'll get a picture but no sound. Some sets allow you to switch between the two.
Or you could just use some of those straightening balms and stuff. Works for my hair and my god! thats a feat and a half.

or straighten it by brushing your hair out whilst blow-drying it. if you position the hairdryer where the brush is whilst brushing it works!!! and hey presto, straight hair. not poker straight but then again, when you're on holiday - who cares?!
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. My hair is naturally wavy and as a child I hated it. When perms were all the rage I was fine, it saved me a fortune, I just had to put my head down and scrunch dry it and hey presto, it was great. Yeh I can blow wave it and it looks semi ok but with straighteners it is different class. You get spoilt with them. Put it this way, if I was allowed 3 items to take on a desert island then one of them would be my straighteners, sad aren't I. :(

Sue :) :)
:D Sue, i have same problem, (Naturally curly hair), but unfortunaltely it doesn't dry into a lovely curly locks, (Just a massive ball of frizz!). What I have found to be a godsend is GHD styling spray, just spray onto sections of the hair, and use straightners as normal, If I straighten my hair without this spray, it doesn't look as straight and glossy, and I don't have to use my straightners the next day, it stays lovely and straight.

Sorry I have gone :offtop , but thought I would tell you about this spray, as it might be of some help, if the straighner's don't get as hot. BBB.
Thanks Bellybelly boo. I use G.H.D. straighteners, I believe that they are the best out there by far but have not tried their spray. I have used the Tresemme spray but find that it makes my hair a bit lank so tend not to use anything. I will try this, can you buy it in the highstreet or do you have to go through the hairdressers? I got my G.H.D'S through a friend who has a salon and got them wholesale.

Many Thanks Sue :) :)
:D Hi sue, you can get the spray through any GHD appointed salon, you can also order them on line from GHD. It's a bit pricey at around £13 , but it last's about three months. (I actually got my last lot on ebay for £8, and that was for 2 of them - Bargain :wink: ). BBB
My daughter has very long thick hair and she's tried all sorts of straightners until we discovered Wet to Straight which she swears by, won't use anything else now.

Sarah
The reason TV sets don't work is because we use the PAL/I system and Spain uses the PAL/BG system. The difference is the way the sound is handled, so you'll get a picture but no sound. Some sets allow you to switch between the two.

Thanks for that info Colin :wink:

Besos xxx
Sanji
had the same trouble with straightners not heating up as well abroad, so ive now solved this problem by buying portable ones, no plugs, wires, just gas cartridges, small, light and fit in your handbag, and when on holiday, no plug, adaptor troubles, pop in the gas cartridge and they heat in 3 mins! bought mine on ebay-£10 bargain! they are £30 in argos!!!!
I have been looking on ebay at the cordless hair straighteners. Which ones have you got? I am thinking of getting the babyliss portability ceramic ones for £7.50 with £2.50p&p. I normally use GHD but would like some to take away with me. :D
Hi there

GHD's aren't they just the best in the world!

Took mine away last year to Mallorca and had no problem with them not heating up. Having said that they do get extremely hot anyway.

Happy straightening

Bizzilady
They are great, I have had my GHDs for roughly 5 years now and they are still in great condition.

My baByliss cordless hair straighteners arrived yesterday and I think they will be good enough for when I am on holiday as they are light and easy to pack.

Lea :D
my cordless portables from ebay are babyliss ones, they heat up real quick and got a cooling hood so u can put them straight in your bag after use
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.