Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
There are a couple of English hairdressers in the Calangute area, Annie is very popular - she works from home but I believe she's moving further North to Mandrem next season???, does anyone know if she's still planning on moving?

As Chilly and Lin said both Simply Beautiful and Naomis are nice decent places - Simply beautiful is where the Russian Tour Reps have their hair done as it's owned by a Russian lady along with her Goan husband.

GFF xxx
I usually use annie, but as you said she is moving, but I beleive she is opening a salon in Baga.
I used Naiomi's during the monsoon, she did a really good restyle and I also had highlights done for a fraction of the price here.

Lin
Thats good to know about the hairdressers. I usually go to the hairdresser in the hotel, but sometimes you need to book up in advance, and cant get the times you want etc.
Whats the approximate cost for a wash a blow dry (longish hair). Does anyone know please :D
where can you get a shave in candolim?

staying down near the Don Hill,
can somebody reccomended a barbers please
As far as I know all barbers do the wet shave experience! I can recommend the one I use which is amongst buildings opposite the T junction market near the football pitch in Candolim. It's difficult to describe the exact location but in the middle of a row on single storey old buildings, at right angles and slightly set back from the main Candolim calangute road,has a small veranda on the front, pan tiled roof and is very old inside with old equipment, chairs and pictures on the walls together with effigies of Ganesh etc. They also do a very good head and shoulder massage, can leave you seeing stars****** but certainly invigourating! If you can't find this one there are plenty of others to give a try.
Haicuts are an indispensable part of the Goan experience and are a must. There are hundreds of barbers and they all do a great job, the highlight being the head massage. I had one in March in a barbers just off the Calangute High St., during the head massage he produced a piece of equipment that looked to all intents and purpose to be a Black and Decker hand sander ( mabey it was one!! ) and proceeded to give you the treatment, the effect had to be experienced and at the end you feel great, trust me you do, so give it a try, for 150 rps.top you wont have had anything like it in the U.K. Alan
Whenever i go to Turkey i always have a shave or two, never gave it a thought when i went to Goalast year,

I do not have much need for a haircut if you know what i mean :wink:

But i will definately give the shave a try

Thanks for the tips keep them coming.
Johnny G the barbers you mentioned is it close to the snow white laundry think its the same one my husband used last year.He's tried several barbers for the haircut and the shave plus the head massage he would thougherly recomend any of the barbers they all give a good service but like everything else you must barter it,s fun don,t try to hard at bartering else you may not come out looking to good. :yikes
Yes I think it is behind the laundry! I think they have one of the black and decker type vibrators there, but prefer the manual (if you know what I mean?) Ha!
Maybe its time i went in for a haircut then if thats what they use :rofl
I would like to know how much hair cuts cost... I have given up having haircuts in Calangute / Candolim as they just seem to rip me off! I finally settled for a place in Mapusa where I could get a hair cut for 30 Rs/-, been going to him for the last few times now (the cheapest I could get in Calangute/Candolim area was 50 Rs/-), some even wanted 100Rs!!! - Not a chance!

Anyway last time I went I got a air cut and shave for 30 Rs/- so I now think hair cuts should be 20Rs/- and a shave 10 Rs/-. (I had a full beard going on.... :os)
Take your point Rob about the cost of haircuts etc. The place I referred to near Snow White laundry charge me anything from 120/150 rupees depending on what they think they can get away with, thats for shave , hair cut and head shoulder massage, I've never minded paying it but always make a joke with them about the fact that I know I'm being taken advantage of with corresponding sheepish looks from my stylist Ha! Having said this it's a price I really don't mind paying as when I've been there on hols it's always been a must do again thing! Now that I'm going out there for the season I'll make sure I pay less, or at least that's my intention Ha! :lol:
Yes 120/150 rps. is what I usually pay, like you I dont mind, but make sure they know, that I know, I,m paying way over the odds, so that way it's a face saving exercise all round Alan
Can i just ask this question why is it that goan's pay 30-50rps for their haircuts and we have to pay 100rps and upwards its the same in all barbers in candolim,that lets you know for sure who's being RIPPED off.
The reason they cost more is because people say 'y I know I'm getting ripped off, but as long as they know i know....'... - Just don't do it!!! It puts the price up for us 'locals' and the real locals who just won't pay that much, they're just leave the seats free for the tourists - please don't I am happy with my 30 Rs/- and don't want to start paying more when the tourists come again! (please!)
Mr Flipflop had a haircut and shave in a barbers on the Baga Road....150 rupees he was charged, needless to say he never went back - the barber lost out big time, 5 years later we still pass his shop and he still says hello; he must be kicking himself at the thought of the loss of profit on 5 years of haircuts and shaves.
GFF xxx
:wink.I would think that maybe Mr. Flipflop now needs a HAIRCUT after 5 years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (only joking).
.......that's what I keep telling him, but he likes the rats nest look!!!

Serously though he does love a shave out here, he says the best place is the round shop at the temple junction on the high st.

GFF xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.