Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hassle
24 Posts
Hi

I was in Icmeler in June and didnt find the hassle any worse than in other years. A polite no thanks is all that was required.
its never really bothered us - just a polite no thanks and they'll leave you alone - i think gran canaria was as bad if not worse!
what do you mean by hassle ?
We have just returned from Icmeler and it was great, the 'hasstle' was a little off putting on the first day as it seemed to be every bar, restaraunt and barber were touting for business. By the second day we were used to it and a simple no thanks is sufficient. They don't chase you down the street so just keep walking.

I wish we were going back in a few days, had a terriffic holiday and will definatley go back.

The best meal we had and the best service was The Weyside - excellent food. Highly reccomend it.

Have a great holiday.
We too was in Icmeler in June and found hassling no different to other years AND the pleace was very short of tourists.

We did hear from someone that there are new laws regarding hassling, if they are that bad the police will close them down for 2 days. Not sure if this is true.

Like all the other reports you only have to be polite and say No thanks. A lot of them do however, like a chat.

I would not let this worry you, you soon get used to it and will take no notice,

Barb
Talking of hassle - I'm sure we're all used to the "no thanks", "we're off to meet friends", "just eaten", "all inclusive" excuses we give back to those hassling us but I've developed a new one for the barbers & bag sellers etc -

Whenever the guy at the barbers asked me if I wanted a manicure I told him no, "its what I do for a living, I'm a nail technician/hairdresser", the bag seller asked me if I wanted a bag, I told him "i work in the bag department in Debenhams" etc etc, it was a bit fun because hassle is a bit up this year but there wasnt as many people around but its to be expected - gave us a bit of a giggle and after a couple of days they didnt bother us :wink:
I agree, just try to have fun, we come up with all kinds to say to them, some times pretending we are Spanish as most of them dont speak it, No understand sorry, shrugging the shoulders works to.
Just remember they are trying to make a living, the hustler as they call them only gets paid by how many he gets in the bar ect, so no customers no money.
Just have fun and enoy yourselves
Maybe it's because Turkeys been so quiet this year. I did notice more hassling in May, but like others a polite NO and a smile does the trick. Hubby said he's having his head shaved before we return later this year because HE had more hassle off the barbers than me :rofl :rofl I'm sorry but, the small chap who works at the barbers below the Lion Bar, really did hubbys head in we went in May. Never mind, I had my hair cut, had the manicure, pedicure, eye brows done that :swear hurts, but hubby paid the bill so the little chap had the last laugh :rofl :rofl Just smile, say no, and off they go. Until the following day when they remind you "You said you would drink, eat here today" Did we????? Happy hols. Anna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Look at it from the hasslers point of view, the job they do is tedious and soul destroying but they have to do it to make ends meet in order to have enough to survive the winter period when there is little or no tourism. So, I always shake them by the hand and a few kind words and move on. It worked in Kalkan in May and we had a superb holiday and the people were simply fantastic. To the originator of this discussion I sincerely hope you have a wonderful holiday.
The topic of hassle will run and run as far as I can see. In my 8 years going to Turkey I have found it different every year. The first two years in Kusadasi were probably the worst. By that I don't mean I was offended or put off it was just something I got used to. It was in Kusadasi I learned never to say 'perhaps tomorrow' ... they never forget. Marmaris over the years has changed, sometimes it's alot stronger than other years. Two years ago we didn't see any but last year it was back but not as bad. From the reports this year it's getting stronger again possibly because the numbers are down. I tend to think everyone has their own way of dealing with it, I prefer the friendly 'no thanks' and can honestly say I have never been chased down the street or anything. Having got to know many Turks over the years who are earning their living during the 'season' my heart goes out to them trying to make a wage in such a short time.

Wilson :wink:
if you go to turkey you must realise that hasseling and haggeling is a way of life to them ,they like to think they have won. it is actually ilegal to hassle in turkey,but they still do it ,i have been to belek for my last three visits and it is virtually non existant there ,some of the traders told me it is against the local bye laws ,it has never really bothered me as i, like a lot of other people find a polite no is enough , if that fails just say ,hiyur pronounced higher which means no in turkey ,it makes them think you can speak fluent turkish and the just leave you alone
I didn't find it any worse this year. As everyone has said, smile and politely say no. I found I couldn't haggle very well this year - kept feeling sorry for them because it was quiet and they weren't making as much money - the money they make in 6 months has to last them for the winter too. We have a wonderful, easy life comparex to most of them and I would never be rude - they are doing their best to earn a living.
There are now posters, banners etc all around Marmaris talking about the Hassle.
The posters are bright red with NO HASSLE on them.
There was a website were you could go to if you had complaints about hassling in Turkey.
We've just returned and the story is (from a good sourse) that if a restaurant is caught (worker of course) they get closed down for three days and so we had a hastle free holiday apart from my daughtter been called Shakira (she's more beautiful of course even if only 12) and I Madonna (must have been blind) but no hastling at all this time!
I went on a shopping trip to Fethiye and found myself scared to go in any shops. It wasnt that the hassling was aggressive or anything it was just that i felt really uncomfortable saying no. I felt scared to ask the prices of anything because it seemed that the slightest bit of interest shown would be taken that i was going to buy.

It was a shame really because i would have spent some money in the shops if left alone but as it was i went into Fethiye with couple of hundred pound earmarked just for shopping but didnt spend a thing in the end.

I am not knocking the Turkish people either. I think it was my stuff if i couldnt cope with it. I noticed that younger people were much better at saying no as if they meant it. :oops:
You live an' learn so the saying goes,now that you've learnt that the Turkish way of life is different to ours you have to decide wether to visit again, if you do don't let little things like that bother you...Turkey and its people have so much to offer.... :sun
I have just returned from turkey (last week) and have been before.

But what I don't get is this. The shopkeepers, they must know that the English like to browse the shops etc, but if you show the slightest interest in anything, then they are in your face saying, "this is good" and "this suits you" etc. I just say that I'm just looking, and they will continue. I gave up. Didn't go in any shops the last 5 days of a week holiday.

When will they learn if they left us alone, they'd probably make more money? I took £100 to spend in the shops, but brought it back with me cos I felt they annoyed me!! I know it's their way of life, but you'd think they'd catch on!
Hi
What annoys me the most is when you do go into a shop and buy something they never seem satisfied with that and are constantly bringing out more items and trying to persuade you to buy them, especially in the Bazaar in Marmaris. In June our friends bought 4 lovely dresses for their grandaughter aswell as a ladies skirt, I was disgusted as the owner aswell as his wife brought out at least 20 more items even though most were too small. they were quite annoyed when our friends said no more Thank you. I felt really uncomfortable and went to wait outside the Bazaar as the hassle was beginning to get to me.
Regarding hassle from bars and restaurants, most was friendly banter from the Turks we have come to know over the last 7 years but the guy from the Baron Bar really took the biscuit. Every day he pounced, it got so bad that we would try to avoid going past. Our friend from Wonderboys was working there this year and was so upset because we would not go in for a drink. he had a word with the Hassler and told him to leave us alone and we would go in, But he took no notice and continued for the rest of our holiday. We have never gone into any bar or restaurant if the waiter has hassled us and never will.
Shaz150
NOT him from the Baron Bar again !!!!! No wonder they get NO custome with the attitude hes got. I do a detour to avoid HIM. I am sure there is a topic on this man and the bar so, sorry Mod :? Happy hols. Anna xxxxxxxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.