Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
But we love the banter especially in the markets, we have a great laugh with them all.
I know it can be a problem but once they get to know you they usually leave you alone anyway.
I agree Joan it's part of the Holiday for me, But them in Bar's/Restauraunts/Shops are a pest, I accept the Market is completely different and have had some great fun with them in the past and I will have the same fun in the future with them also.
Hi Rwb,

When you adopt this tutting action do you need to wear a certain expression too? :shock: Or do you look like a Turk too? Perhaps you wear extra-large sandals which make your feet look three times the size they should. That would throw a Turk into confusion!! Tut or no tut!

How about things like beachbags, cameras, etc? Would that not be a bit of a giveaway do you think?

Or they could assume you've got a sweet stuck in your teeth, and start hassling you to buy toothpicks!! :hmmm

Strawberry
Couldn't you just say 'I'm not a tourist and I'm not coming in'? :D
Strawberry7, When I go to Turkey I am white when I leave Turkey I am the same colour, I dont like the sun so I wear Piz baun which saves me from it, No expression is needed just look at them when you Tut and you will be amazed at how gobsmacked they are I normally say to them also Gule Gule (which is Goodbye only if they talk Turkish back to me), I have tried this loads of times and never ever had the hassle again from the Hasseler.
another tip is to say when they ask you to check their menus etc is to say
"se na ne" (whats it got to do with you?)
.......................... but with a smile please just to show that you don't really mean it :D
Hi again Rwb (or should I say Merhaba? :lol: )

If you say Gule Gule to a hassler..........then he'll definitely know you're a tourist! :P

Gule Gule is only said to the person leaving. To say Goodbye in Turkish you should say Allahaismarladik!

It's very touristy to say Gule Gule to a person you're leaving behind :oops: - and negates all your Tuts!!

Strawberry
i was just thinking the same strawberry lol, we never say gule gule when leaving, my husband is doing very well with his turkish and thought he had learnt how to say i live here, learning for when we move out there , so decided to show off and said in error i go to the toilet here as its sounds very similar oh we did have a laugh lol !!! so easy to make a mistake
Strawberry7, Im trying to make this as easy as possible for a Tourist to do actually, Gule Gule as opposed to Allahaismarladik! or hoşÃƒÆ’ƒÂ§akal
interj, hoşÃƒÆ’ƒÂ§a, elveda, note these all mean the same in Turkish, I know which one I would say
Yes what about Gule Shois, is that another one!!!!!!!!!!!And they think the English language is difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!You could always try "bye chuck" :D :D :D
Sorry Rwb,

But you're wrong again! :lol:

Those alternative words you've suggested saying, do NOT mean the same thing at all. Elveda, for example, would be said by someone on their deathbed; it means goodbye forever.

Locals and Turks would always say Allahaismarladik - and anyone who used the words you suggest, would be seen as a tourist. :lol:

Strawberry

P.S. Interj isn't even a word, is it?
Strawberry try reading a Turkish to English dictionary for the correct examples of Goodbye, no need to take my viewpoint, Juicy jude the word your looking for is görüşÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¼rüz which means see you, and not Gule Shois as you suggested, Why did I bother posting this I will never know, seems rather knitpicking to me peeps, At the end of the day this post was ment for people who hate hassle not about Turkish words.
Rwb,

It seems to me that you're copying words from a disctionary, but you fail to understand the true meaning of them. That's why you are taking the words out of context.

I don't need to flick through a dictionary................I have lived in Turkey; and my partner, being a Turk, speaks fluent Turkish. :lol:

I also speak English. :)

Strawberry
Will you ever give up, You suggested useing another word not me, Look at the top post for proof, Im not interested if you know more about Turkish words or phrases or slang words used, Live with it and move on.
Rwb,

I merely corrected you and told you that you were wrong in using Gule Gule to say goodbye.
And I told you the correct word to use. :roll:

Whatever, Turks can spot a tourist a mile off................whether you Tut or not!

Strawberry
I dont really care what word you want to use, That word was provided to me via an Icmeler born and bred person, I used it didnt get the hassle problem solved, Point taken.
tutting and moving your head back is the turkish way of not wanting any.... including hassle, It does work even if you are a tourist.
as for the hello /goodbye debate then there are loads of niceties, a lot depending on how religious you are or how creepy you want to be to the person. If you use gorusuruz as a general for goodbye then it's probably the best. And it's the easiest to say.
Finally..... putting up with uneccessary hassle, touching or bad practices encourage them to do it more, so please make sure they know where the line is and NOT to cross it... happy hols
Thanks for the tips rwb46 and chelsea boy :D I will practice them next time I visit Turkey, always wondered how to avoid the hassle and I have been going to Turkey for years.

Strawberry7, I have read a couple of general Turkey posts over the last few days and when your name crops up you do seem to want to make an argument out of everything. We all have info/opinions we want to share, the poster was good enough to give this info yet once again you beg to differ and will not let go. You could always start your own topics :D

chazy
:D Hi Chazy

I have noticed that also about Strawberry it always ends up in a argument one way or other were ever Strawberry's name crops up

Maybe she don't mean anything by it but Ive been a member on here for years and i have noticed over the last few months a few bad words in the posting's on here.

So please try not to been argumentative has this is a really good and helpful site
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.