Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Chelsea Boy,

Gorusuruz means 'see you later' - and most Turks do say that, but Rwb brought up Gule Gule etc, and so I tried to explain to him the difference in meanings. Perhaps I was a little too exact for him.

Quite frankly, he can Tut as much as he wants in Icmeler (or Marmaris) - as can any other tourists - but the locals will still treat him as such.

How bad is the hassle in Icmeler then? If people are going to such drastic measures as to try and impersonate a Turk things must be pretty dreadful! :shock:
You just dont read the posts strawberry7, Waken up, I quoted the following (I have tried this loads of times and never ever had the hassle again from the Hasseler), Now Chelsea boy like you lives in Turkey he say's it works and I say it works, You havent tried it, Suggestion as you live there go and try it and see what happens, then come back and tell us your findings, Ever heard the saying Dont knock it Untill you have tried it.
Have to agree 100% with your statement Briar.
Rwb,

I don't get hassled in Turkey - but you do! Which can only mean the locals obviously know you're a tourist. :lol:

Let's leave it at that, eh?

Strawberry

:P :P
Oh come on lets keep it light, like I said "bye chuck" :D
I cant seem to remember anyone asking you Strawberry7 if you got hassle, Must be your mind catching up with you again, This post was to inform people who do not like hassle, Told my way, From an Icmeler resident, Now should you or anyone else not choose to use it or try it then that's fine by me, Dont continue Posting in this post as all you will do is end up getting it locked.
This is getting boring :?
Mods

This needs locking, as everyone seems to want to have the last word.

IMHO Strawberry7 seems to be the sort of person that could create an argument in an empty room!
Okay everyone lets stop this please!

I will leave it to Briar to decide if she wants to lock it. Although I have to say that if it continues in the downward spiral it will be locked before she manages to get here.

Kath HT Admin
My two pennorth!!!

Does anyone really get a lot of hassle nowadays?
One thing I was aware of in a recent hol to icmeler was the number of bars etc closed down by the police (I was told) because the front door waiter was allegedly pestering people to eat there.
I honestly thought that the amount of hassle was negligible nowadays and have always found that a smile, laugh and no thanks etc is all that is needed, and I am certain that no matter how well you can speak turkish that you will still be spotted as a tourist if that is what you are.
Exactly, just a polite "no thanks " often suffices. We noticed this year that the hassel was much less than last year and sometimes it is nice to have a bit of banter with the Turkish people, even if the same question crops up time after time, ie how long have you been here, have you just got here, because my skin is white no matter whether it is at the beginning of the holiday or end!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :zip
I agree, a polite 'No Thank You' is all that is needed.

I suppose the point I was trying to make, was, however well (or however bad in some people's cases :shock: ) a tourist speaks Turkish, or adopts Turkish mannerisms, locals will still be able to spot a tourist a mile off.

Trying to impersonate a Turk will just make the tourist look silly. :oops:
:omg

Luddendenturk,

I think it's quite rude of you to say I could start an argument in an empty room! I have offered good constructive advice on this site, but at the same time, if I disagree with something I say so. If you only want to read positive criticism you're doing yourself a disservice. Mind you, you've said before that you don't talk to fellow passengers or holdaymakers in case they're unruly - you sound like a wonderfully sociable person!! :evil:

Strawberry
Strawberry

Just goes to prove my point about empty rooms.

Sorry mods. My last post on this thread!
Personally I missed the hassle this year.First couple of years I thought they were a pain in the neck!,but each year as weve been back we have got to know them,they loved to stop to talk to you and improve on their english,and most of them were friendly,this year lots of them were miserable,and I mean miserable,afraid to talk to you for fear of being shut down,a lot of them get work for the summer months and then they go back to their villages for the winter,all this has got to have an effect on tourism
I live here and get treated a lot differently when I speak and act Turkish... No way could I ever be mistaken for a Turk!I don't look silly, in fact I am called bey effendi, abi or amca because they go into respect mode.... far nicer than cheeky bugger etc which I personally find offensive.
By biggest complaint about us english is our refusal to learn/use other languages....
The workers wouldn't hassle or speak to Turkish people the way they do the tourists, if they did they would be quickly put in their place!
Hi Chelsea Boy,

I agree, it is nice to learn how to say a few pleasantries when going abroad. And when you speak to a Turk in Turkish they do treat you differently: which is very wrong of them!! They should treat everyone equally...............but that's a different issue.

Obviously, by you lving out there, and having learnt Turkish, they would expect you to speak to them in their language; they certainly wouldn't think you were silly by doing so!

But that is quite different from a holidaymaker trying to give the impression that they are Turkish, or a local, and can speak fluent Turkish - when in fact, all they can do is give the odd Turkish Tut and say goodbye in broken Turkish (and the wrong context). THAT makes them look very silly.

Strawberry
Hello

I think Strawberry you are right in some respects but......

You are still having a go a RWB which is wrong he was only trying to give advice, i have been going to Turkey for 12 years now and love the place.

But now and then im grateful for advice :lol:
But that is quite different from a holidaymaker trying to give the impression that they are Turkish, or a local, and can speak fluent Turkish - when in fact, all they can do is give the odd Turkish Tut and say goodbye in broken Turkish (and the wrong context). THAT makes them look very silly.

The poster was not trying to ''look'' Turkish. Everyone looks silly as you put it when learning something new, including languages, I try a few phrases each time I visit Turkey, I don't care if I look silly and the turks don't seem to mind either. If something works for the poster and he wants to pass the info on that is his right. Can I add that just because we inhabit a counrty doesn't mean we know everything there is to know about that country.
Excuse me Chazy!

Where did I say that everyone looks silly when trying to learn a new language?! :shock: I never said that at all!!

What I said was, it looks silly trying to pretend to be a local/Turk when clearly you're not.

However, I realise that Rwb was only trying to be helpful, and he gave what he considered to be a good tip on how to avoid hassle.

Strawberry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.