Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Why? Every EasyJet flight I have been on has boarded families with young children ahead of the herd. If they'd turned up in good time at the gate they wouldn't have found themselves in this position and people who'd got themselves settled in their seats, their cabin baggage stowed etc wouldn't have had to be asked to move.

We flew from Luton SMa and it was very organised there. 3 lines , each one belted off and seperate and they kept all passengers behind these until it was their turn to board. One line was for families with children but there were also children in our "normal herd" line . There was a family standing behind us and I told them they really should be in the other "children" line but they were under the impression children had to be under 7 (I think) for that to apply . Their youngest was only just over the qualifying age .
I can only assume those that were not experienced at travelling with EJ for a family holiday had not been briefed on what to expect. :que

The lines were more chaotic at Sharm with the more usual pushing and shoving and I believe 2/3 families were left seperated, one of them being the family that were stood behind us on the way out who were eventually seated over the 2 rows in front of us . It seemed to take forever to get them all seated but there seemed to be an unusually high amount of people travelling with children but then I guess it was Easter.

There was a couple sitting on the opposite aisle who still had a free seat next to them . Cabin crew told them she would have to seperate them and the lady starting started shaking and clutching hold of her husbands hand tightly .In the end they left them alone .Now whether she had a fear of flying I dont know but she certainly looked ok once the plane took off.

I took an aisle seat on my own and left the other 3 of my family seated together but I would happily seperate for a family with small children or someone that was in real need.

Chelle . So there is some kind of ruling then that children must be seated within 1 row of an adult travelling with them . Up to what age does that apply to . This may of been what was happening on our flights but there was certainly lot's of upheaval.
lynwestie

No rulings, just guidelines. Taken from the CAA guidelines

"Family Groups

CAA guidelines ask airlines to develop procedures for the seat allocation of family groups, particularly when a group includes children. It is probable that family group members would seek each other out should an emergency evacuation be required, an action that could adversely affect the passenger flow rates towards emergency exits and might seriously affect the outcome of an evacuation.

Additionally, children and infants should be seated where they can be adequately supervised by an accompanying adult in the event of turbulence or a decompression in the cabin.

Airlines procedures should take into account the following factors:

Children, accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. In wide-bodied aircraft, children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults.

Seat allocation procedures for family groups and suitable seating arrangements for large parties of children should reflect the above criteria.

Whenever small numbers of infants and children are travelling together, the airline should make every effort to ensure that they are allocated seats where they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adult in both normal and abnormal conditions."

The only way to ensure you are sitting together is to pay for seat numbers. I really don't see why anyone should be asked to move from seats they have paid for. I have my own reasons for paying for seat numbers, and I would not move.
Sorry meant to say - I would not move for anyone that hadn't paid.
Thats interesting sunaddict . It doesnt seem to give an indication of age limits though .

As the OP is talking about thomson here and pre-paid bookable seats I dont think I would move either in that scenario but on a budget airline flight where you are unable to pre-book seats and to a certain extent are at the mercy of every man for himself and experts that know how to play the boarding procedure I would tend to be more forgiving . I know you can book speedy boarding to give you a leg up but dont they limit those anyway :D
Jet2 for instance has the policy that no child under 16 is seated away from one of their parents/guardian. It is up to the airline themselves to choose whether or not to follow the CAA guidelines.
You are going to be able to pre book your seats on EJ in the near future think i read it will be about £8 pp
I think this can be a pretty emotive subject.

SMa
I totally agree with this:
So please, even if you do have young children, please do not assume that there aren't other people travelling with potentially vulnerable people who have as much right and just as much need as you to be sat together. I know that this doesn't apply to the OP who did pay extra but I do feel very strongly that if families with children aren't prepared to pay extra to be sat together then they should accept the risk that they mightn't be and shouldn't expect other passengers to be forced to give up their seats for them. Especially if they don't arrive in time to check-in early and leave it until after most people have already checked-in.

I would be much more inclined to give up my seat to someone like your Mum than someone 'who kicks up a proper stink':
Oh and for the record, whether I paid for it or not, I would be one of "those mums" who kicked up a proper stink if daughter was separated from both of us -even by just a row - afterall, my child is only 7 and is not responsible enough to fend for herself in an emergency, thats my job.

If you don't want to pay for seats together, get to the airport early and make sure you're one of the first to check in - that way you won't be separated.

Just don't expect to turn up just as the flight is closing and demand that the airline accommodate you just because you have kids.

The bigger the stink you kicked up, the less I would be inclined to move.
And if I'd paid extra for my seat, there's no way on earth I'd move.
But even if they can't purchase priority/speedy boarding (and to be honest, it is very very rare this is fully booked up anyway!) families should make sure they get to the gate nice and early! If they can't do this then I can only recommend they fly with an airline with seat numbers (and then pay to reserve seats). If passengers on my flight refused to move then we wouldn't force them. And the captain wouldn't delay the flight either, the family would get told to sit down. Having a child isn't a disability, and if you can afford to take them away on holiday then you need to factor in the cost of ensuring you are sat with your child. If you choose not to pay then don't expect other people to move to accomadate your needs.
I know much of these guidelines are for H&S but those little angels that are more inclined to play up would probably be better behaved if they were seperated from their parents and siblings anyway .

Butter wouldnt melt in their mouths sat next to a stranger . :D
lynwestie wrote:
I know much of these guidelines are for H&S but those little angels that are more inclined to play up would probably be better behaved if they were seperated from their parents and siblings anyway .

Butter wouldnt melt in their mouths sat next to a stranger . :D

LOL :D

I am sure (much to his embarrassment) my son was considered to be a child at age 13 on an Easyjet flight to Faro a few years back. I had definately paid for 3 adults and one child on the web-site. Maybe it changes at age 14 ?

I would also be more inclined to give up my seat for someone like SMa's Mum than a family kicking up a stink because they couldn't be bothered to pre-pay, as mentioned having a child isn't a disability. If it's really important to be together as a family then unfortunatly the only fair answer is to pay. If I had paid for my seat there is no way I would move for someone who hadn't but was kicking off. I would end up stuck to it like glue. I guess I might be more inclined to move if I hadn't paid extra to be seated.

It's naive to think it is 'the law' for airlines to seat children with their parents. CAA guidelines are different from the law and are as said just 'guidelines' so if you were unfortunately seperated I think it is unlikely that you could take it further.

I don't see why flight attendants should be given a hard time and made to move people who have paid for their seats to accommodate those that haven't.

If on a Charter I would pay for meals they seem to be a similar price to paying for seats & you all get placed at the front and get some indifferent food thrown into the bargain. Plus I prefer to sit at the front.
On our return flight from Turkey last year the aisle seat was empty but shortly after the flight took off a mother with her small daughter came from further back in the plane(the dreaded row 11) and sat in the opposite seat and her daughter sat next to my husband.
I asked her if she wanted to swap seats so she would be next to her daughter.My husband moved into the window seat and I went over the aisle so the mother and daughter were next to each other.
I have moved many times so people with children could be sat together but I wouldnt be so keen to do this if their attitude was overbearing and they turned up late. :que
As far as I am con concerned, if you book you book together you are seated together.
As far as I am ???? concerned, if you book you book together you are seated together.

Unfortunately not always the case. Certainly not on the carriers that you have the option to pay for sitting together/select seat numbers.
An interesting thought here. But if they cannot seat a couple together who have booked together, how can they put them in the same room at the hotel? Just so you know if you are going to Crete next week and they apply the same logic to the accomodation as they do sitting a couple together - I Snore :rofl

fwh
I went to the states last year flying with Delta with two of my friends, now as this was a scheduled carrier there was no option to purchase seats together, and as we hadn't booked direct with them there was no way of checking in online (not even sure if they offer this). We arrived at check in 3 hours before departure and myself and one friend were sat in seats A+B, however our other friend was sat 2 rows in front in seat G. We were all adults so it wasn't really a problem, just a bit of an inconvenience as we were flying to Atlanta which was a 10 hour flight. All the rest of the flights we were sat altogether, although for our connecting flights we were checked in for those legs 12 hours before at our initial departure airports.
Don't presume because you're on the same booking you'll be sat together.
But if they cannot seat a couple together who have booked together, how can they put them in the same room at the hotel?

I presume that was a tongue in cheek comment?
Quote:
But if they cannot seat a couple together who have booked together, how can they put them in the same room at the hotel?

I presume that was a tongue in cheek comment?

Intended to be but you never know. I did warn you that I snore ;)

fwh
SMa wrote:
I'm trying not to personalise this but I do take the above comment personally -

No offence intended, I am just trying to make a point. I have elderly relatives (mum in law in registered disabled just for starters) and yes I would create a fuss if she/he had paid for seats and someone demanded seats together and my family were the ones "outed". Their are many "couples" (ok, again im going to offend someone!) who do not pay and expect to be seated together just because they are on the same booking. Is it too much to ask that a family booking of - as FHW suggests - "a family of 4 be seated together" just because they are on the same booking?

I dont know how to explain myself properly and for this I apologise. I just feel that I need to defend all the parents here that have children that would feel aggrieved if they were separeted from their children because they couldnt afford to pay for seats together (because believe me holiday prices cost enough as it is without added extras when you are on a budget). Not everyone can afford to pay an additional £30+ to be seated together (£30 is an evening meal to some of us). Its not a case of "if you cant afford it" either. My daughter is 7 years old and is incapable of looking after herself, ive paid for seating together this year, but I am fortunate enough to be in a position to pay. Most families arent, and my arguement is that what is worse: a lone child who can create mischief and mayhem or an elderly person who can respectfully ask for assistance?

Ok, your example is probably an exception and I for one, wouldnt want to take a seat that a person with additional disabilities would require additional help. Children should be with a responsible adult without or without the payment of "an extra". I know that noone here would want an unattended child with them whether they had paid for a seat or not.
I view it as a cost that has to be factored into a holiday when working out what is affordable and what isn't.
If we travel longhaul we have to pay for extra legroom or premium. We choose to go Premium. Hubby cannot sit for 10 hours in 33" seat pitch. He has very long legs and even with 33" his knees are sticking into the seat in front. The additional cost has to be thought about when researching destinations, hotels etc.
I really don't see why it is any different for families. I know that sounds mean, but those are my honest thoughts on the matter.
We always used to advise customers to book seats together if they wanted to be sure to sit together- families included. In my view, there should be no exceptions, as the facility is there to ensure that people that don't want to be separted, won't be separated (whatever their reasons for wanting to be together).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.