Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
prettypollycat
I don't know who you are flying with, but some airlines, Thomsons definitely, allocate seats the day before and the check in staff are told not to change them, so it doesn't matter what time you get to the airport.
Thomas Cook also allocate seats the day before as we found out a couple of years ago.

I do think that the whole seating together thing is a money making scheme and scare tactics play a big part. I have NEVER pre booked until now and have always sat together with my family (even a large group booking a couple of years ago). This thread did scare me enough to purchase my seats.

I dont mean to argue, that really isnt my intention at all.
sunaddict
Thanks - I did know that Thomas Cook pre-allocate seats, I posted this on another thread about sitting together:

We flew to Bodrum with TC from Stansted in June 2009 and we were among the first to check-in.
We asked for window seats and were told the seats were pre-allocated for best fit the previous evening and we had aisle seats which couldn't be changed.

We're flying with Tor-Air :yikes who apparently operate Boeing 737s seating 150 so even if we're separated, we won't be far away from each other. :rofl

We'll still get to the airport early as we like to know that nothing can go wrong with the journey - and the OH likes a :glynis and I like to window shop in the duty free.
prettypollycat
There has been some discussions on TA about Tor Air.
I do think that the whole seating together thing is a money making scheme and scare tactics play a big part.

I think this is very true.
But airlines are in the business of making money and they've found a good way (to them) of relieving people of more cash in exchange for peace of mind.
There has been some discussions on TA about Tor Air.

Thanks, sunaddict.

I do use TA but usually only for the destination forums.

I'm not sure if I really want to know about Tor Air - maybe I'd be better remaining in blissful ignorance...... :think
But, being a nosy beggar, I'll probably check it out.
I travel with 3 children and never book seats together, but i've never been lucky enough to have them seated away from me :rofl ;) :rofl
Very interesting thread.
I too feel that it is a money-making scheme .......I love fwh's suggestion that if they say they don't know who's together in a booking (Mr & Mrs is a clue for many couples) then how come we usually end up in a room with our partners? :rofl

I can understand the arguments on both sides......
but I'm just wondering - if a group has paid to sit together and then is obliged to separate for say, a family....
do they get the money back that they paid for their allocated seats?
I think there is a moral argument that they should.
If you have children and you want to sit together, pay for it. If you cant afford it, you book a different holiday.
I have paid for seats together,we do everytime,even before our child was born we pre-booked.We have never taken it for granted that we would be seated together.Gone are the days of first come first served at the check-in desks! i will definately not be giving up my seat for anyone,nor will my husband or child.I have paid for a reason!!
I totally agree with sunny days and elvis .......

From our sons first flight at the age of 4, we have always paid for seats together as I wouldn't take the risk of being apart on the flight. I certainally wouldn't give up my seat for someone (children/no children) who have taken the decision not to pay for seats together. As another poster has said, if you can't afford to pay the extra you either take your chances or book elsewhere ....... simple!
Some harsh words indeed!

I have never pre-booked my seats as I do feel that it is a money making scheme and if I paid, I could still be split by an aisle which I do not feel is seated together!!

I always get the airport early and on an outbound flight have never been split up, 2 adults and 1 child. As other posters have said we always have a meal onboard and I do think you mostly get seated together at the front of the plane to accomodate this. On 1 inbound flight from Spain we did get split up, and at first I thought they were going to put my 5yr old son on his own. (language barrier!) The checking in desk quickly explained they would not do this and just put my husband on his own which of course was fine. If they had of put my 5yr old on his own, nobody would of got any peace as he would of screamed the plane down! If truth be known, now aged 7 his reaction would not be much better now as he is very clingly to us. (1 row away would certainly not make any difference to him!)

So, following this debate do I now pre-book? I really object to the idea in principle, but one I will have to give careful consideration next time we fly.
steph24
If you pay for select your seat as it is now called, it means you can select your seat numbers, so you wouldn't be separated by an aisle.
Seating that hasn't been prebooked is allocated by a computer the day before departure using a best fit model, so it doesn't matter how early you turn up at check in, as the seats have already been allocated. The check in staff have no authority to change these. So if you are separated, it's back to asking people on board who have paid to choose where they sit, if they will swap seats.
Oops, just read back and it is not the case for all airlines is it? The last few times we have flown the check in staff definitely look as though they are allocating as they go along, ie first come first served (for people who have not pre-booked) I say this as they have sometimes changed things or have said we will give you those seats etc.

We haven't flown Thomsons for a while now.
In my experience with Thomson if you have booked a meal they are more inclined to be flexible at check-in.
Only today I spoke to friends on the phone who have just flown with Thomson and there request for aisle seats was met (they hadn't pre-booked) but had booked a meal!!....Caz
Having just been away with BMI Baby (whose seats are disgustingly small), but whose seating system works perfectly, i.e. once booked on line I could choose seats immediately. Now I booked Thomson flight yesterday. Could not log on, was told on an 0871 number! that I had to try again today as updated at 6am daily. Tried at 9am today, still cannot get on line with them. So I phoned, another 0871 number (although this time I made sure I got an alternative on line first), thank goodness as I was on the phone 20 minutes with no reply. Tried again, 10 minute wait this time, then 25 mins to sort it out. I had paid to choose my own seats. Having done this on other airlines I was miffed to say the least when they said we could only have a seat from aisle 23 onwards as all front seats are for food ordering customers. also could not book middle and aisle which we prefer and have booked on other airlines, because of health and safety reasons ! Could not cancel flights due to T and C. Was asked if I checked T and C regarding seat allocation, which I said yes, so have I missed the part that says no middle and aisle and if no food shoved at back, she forwarded me onto someone else! Anyway luckily during my temper tantrum I mentioned my husbands arthritis which is bad but which we never use as an excuse or try to use for our benefit, but in this instance it worked for us as we are now sitting on row 7 due to his limited walking ability. So do we now have to resort to doing this to get what I think is the service they offered, i.e. choose my own seats - any seat, my choice? It makes me very wary to book with Thomson again, I think I would rather book EasyJet and rush off to the plane myself to secure us two seats.....
I don't know when you are flying, but you could have gone online and booked them.
Sorry not clear, I DID book on line, but ever since have not been able to log in with my reference number, talk about stress
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.