General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Very simple case padlocks are so easy to open,they have a bunch of keys.
I have had items taken in Heathrow,so now i use Combination locks.
Don't you run the risk of them cutting them off though if they decide your bag is one of the ones they want to check?
Ellie
I didn't think they could do that :? :? . I thought you had to be present and open your own cases. Obviously if something is suspect, that may be diffferent, but theft must be an issue.

What's to stop someone putting something in ?????

Very strange, looking to hear some replies from others, especially if any custom officers are looking in.
:D Hi when we came back in June, my suitcase was the very last one to come around, when it did it had pink tape around it with "This baggage has been security checked". So I said to one of the staff "How come they have managed to check this case, when I have the key?" To which they replied "No it's just been scanned". But when I arrived home and opened it, it was obvious that it had been opened as all my cigs were on top of the case, and not it the middle, plus other bits and pieces were not as I had packed. Will be definately investing in some of those combination locks.BBB.
On one holiday to the USA we had 5 out of 6 of our cases opened without us being present and despite all having locks.This was at Orlando .We only found out when we collected the baggage at this end and noticed that some of the locks had been removed completely.Others had been picked and put back on.There were notes inside the cases saying American customs had opened the cases.I was furious.As you say, if anything went missing how could you claim on your insurance if there was no lock on the case. Even with a combination lock, if they want to get in and can't they will simply cut it off and will not give you a new one.
A suggestion on another thread is to use plastic cable ties instead of locks and to take a pair of scissors with you. Leave spare ties inside the case with a note for them to replace with new ones when they have finished the search. I agree it is a liberty.
Would you rather they searched NO bags and missed the one with the bomb?
Cable ties are a good idea, but if you can only take your scissors in your suitcase not sure how much good they would be getting the ties off the other end lol
Ellie
Ive just read this topic today, and cant elieve its legal to do such a thing, with the owners not even present! :tut ..... i will make sure when i go away next year, that i will use "plastic tags" or a combi lock for my suitcases. I will be fuming if this happens to me....... :evil:
Most definitely not Sancho... of course they must check luggage, I personally would be happy to check in several hours earlier and have them check every case that went through if that were feasible.
I was just thinking of the poor person that has to carry around that enormous bunch of keys to ensure they have one to every padlock they come accross :D
Ellie
Sancho..of course nobody objects to their luggage being searched( unless you have something to hide in there!) but don't tell me that 5 out of 6 cases in our party had suspicious objects inside on scanning. If they had decided which were suspicious and then tannoyed the owner to unlock the case and be present during the search nobody could object. What I am saying is that they decided to do spot checks irrespective of the scanning because many other passengers had the same problems with locks being cut off.
when travelling to the States you have to leave your case unlocked. combination locks won't make any difference- they will be opened if need be. You are asked if you locked you luggage at check in.
Fiona...how would that affect your insurance say something went missing from your case?
To be honest I would be more concerned that some not very honest customs employee or baggage handler would put something into my case to be picked up at the other end by a partner in crime, how on earth would you be able to prove it wasn't you?
The trouble is that that scenario would only cause problems to me whereas an undiscovered bomb or something similar would cause terrible problems for potentially hundreds of people I guess.
Difficult to say what could be done though, unless as I said earlier the airlines decided to check every single case with the owners present.
Ellie
hbrac makes a very good point; all insurers require you to take "reasonable care", and, if you make a claim for something(s) stolen from your luggage, one of their first questions will be-"was the suitcase locked?" When you answer "no" I doubt that they would consider paying out.
Surely if you stated that it was locked when you left your local airport they can't hold you responsible for what happens during security checks?
Don't get me wrong here, I totally agree with what you are saying, and I'm sure they would try to make life difficult, but maybe if they did refuse to pay out you would then be able to claim against the airline or whoever was responsible for the locks being removed?
Ellie
Fiona says that, when travelling in the States, you are required to leave your suitcase unlocked at the airport. You are, therefore, leaving your luggage unlocked and out of your possession- they don't have to use force to get to your belongings. What I'm saying is that this, technically, violates one of the conditions of your insurance policy, and whilst it would be nice to think that they would accept that you had no option but to leave your luggage unlocked, insurance companies do not have a reputation for paying claims when they don't have to!
each time,we have been, to the states,we have returned home, & found a note,inside the cases,saying they have been checked.
got no qualms,about them doing this,but as said before,it's the thought of,something being put in,that is a little bit worrying!
tracy
I don't use combination locks since the time mine jammed and someone at the hotel had to break it off for me. :roll: I use an ordinary padlock and put a spare one in the outside pocket. I then leave a laminated notice inside the case on top of my clothes to say that if my padlock has been removed and broken would they please replace it with the spare.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.