Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
health card
7 Posts
For information on the European Health Card see HERE but it cannot be used in Bulgaria because it is not in the EU.

You will all need full travel insurance, which the card does not replace in the EU either.

Peter
As Peter says, the EHIC is not valid in Bulgaria. But according to the Department of Health, you should carry your passport and NHS medical card if you wish to obtain free medical, dental or hospital treatment in Bulgaria. However, the DOH points out that recent changes suggest that the state healthcare sector is very limited and as with most countries, medical insurance is strongly recommended.

David :wave
Oh my god! I applied for the health card, but it completely didn't click that bulgaria is outside the EU. I think that could be classed as a complete and utter blonde moment...

Thank god for the forums, I couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery so I'd be a bit stuffed without all the advice!

At the risk of sounding really dumb, when you say :
medical insurance is strongly recommended.

Do you mean the sort of medical stuff that's covered by travel insurance?

This is my first holiday on my own (cos I'm a grown up), so you can forgive me for being a bit wet behind the ears, right?

Love,
Marianne
Yes Marianne, a good travel insurance policy will include adequate medical cover for Bulgaria. If you don't already have a policy, check out the recommendations in our General Holiday Enquiries forum.

David :wave
Don't worry Marianne, I call them 'senior moments'.

Yes, travel insurance is what we mean.

Enjoy your freedom!!!

Patka
Having a senior moment aged 19 is a wee bit embarrassing though :roll:

I checked it out, and it looks like my insurance policy is pretty good. Cos I'm a student I've got the Sta travel thing available to me, and for £17 I have unlimited costs for medical/repatriation etc. so maybe I did something right?!

Thank you so much for all your advice!
It's invaluable at times!

Love,
Marianne
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.