Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I've just had a quick look at the hotel we stayed at in Chaweng (Chaweng Regent) andwas a bit taken aback by the price they wanted.I checked with them directly and also with two other sources- coming out at between £75 and £85 for the superior room. I would have thought it would be less.
However, as you know, it is off season so I would imagine that you will find something without any problems. And if you walk in, the price should be a lot less. :D
garlic bread - Hi,

You should not have too much difficulty in getting somewhere to stay in Samui - but you should really try to get an idea of where you want to be - it is quite a large island and the resort areas vary. Not knowing what you are looking for, I wouldn't like to recommend anywhere (to me Chaweng is like hell on earth - wait for the flak)

Also bear in mind that it is frequently less expensive to book through an agent, rather than directly at the hotel - something to do with them not wanting to lose 'face' by offering rooms at a lower price than normal (or that's how it was described to me).

You don't have a lot of time in Bangkok or I would suggest you visit a reputable agent there. If you think you have enough time, please pm me and I will provide the name and number of a British / Canadian run agency in Sukhumvit Soi 18 (not a million miles from the Davis) who I and several of my friends (mainly ex-pat) use and trust.

Good luck

Peter
garlic bread
forgot to say- welcome to HT :D
Chaweng is the place to be if you like things very lively. I preferred staying out with Chaweng but if you want to go to the Full moon party then it might be just what you want :D
Pete
I wouldn't mind the name and number of your agent :D
Pete/Fiona - thanks

We only picked chaweng as it was recommended as 'lively' - but we dont want too lively TBH. Having looked at the map, and having discussed with my other half, we would prefer a nice resort which would be easily accessable by 'the special bus' Fiona mentioned in an earlier post (cant remember what you called it). Bophut or lamai look close enough. I presume the fare/fee would be inexpensive.

Pete - we actually have 2 days in Bangkok and as I am not a shopper, unlike my girlfriend, I will have some time on my hands and would really appreciate your contact. I have sent you a pm.

Thanks again
John
Chaweng is easily reached from Bophut by songthaew or by taxi :D
I hope you are not going to just shop in Bangkok- we will have to get your time arranged for you :lol:
Hi John,

Have pm'd the details.

If you have some time in Bangkok, here is a DIY tour that you cannot miss. Inexpensive, Straightforward, eye-opening and great fun (dress appropriately for the Palace - and don't let anyone fool you that it is closed!)

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/travel.html#tour

There is also a wealth of information about Thailand (and Samui) on that site.

Enjoy!

Peter
I often do my Thai holidays last minute. I use http://www.latestays.com to check last minute availability. I have also booked with them and found them OK (part of AsiaWebDirect).

I've heard varying stories of walk in prices...some that you can get a great deal others that you end up paying more.
Fiona - where in bophut do you stay and is the 'fishermans street' easy to find?

Thanks
We stayed at the Peace Resort - it is about 10 minutes walk to Fishermans Village. (Sometimes we were really lazy and flagged down a songtaew :lol: )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.