General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
qatarman

I know exactly what you mean Ive priced the holiday that we are going on this september which cost us £1150.00 has gone up to £1873 for the same time next year same apartments etc can't believe they can charge you this much extra, fair enough the price of fuel etc but this is a joke , I think we will be trying Turkey next year as it's only coming up at £1405 for the new club Aida
Interestingly I have just priced our holiday in Cyprus with Thos Cook for the same two weeks in 2009.

There is an item titled "Transport Supplement" of £158.00 - This is not on this years booking.

Without that the price is comparable with this year.

fwh
I just wonder if its the fact of the mergers and they feel that they can charge what they like.I will check at the hotel in September and see if their rates have gone up.My wife really looks forward to her September trip to Cyprus but I feel ripped off.If the tour operators carry on like this it will be them that suffer, with the credit crunch they will be looking for bums on seats.
You could try booking direct with the hotel and booking the flights separately. We did this when we went to Cyprus two years ago and saved many hundreds of pounds. We also got allocated the room in the best position and welcome gifts of wine, fruit and flowers! So felt we had done well for ourselves.......
We have booked the same hotel for next year only we are going self catering and it is nearly the same price as we paid for half board this year (cyprus). Half board had shot up by £300. That is with Thomas Cook.
The cost of flying in general has increased so that's part of the problem. As you mention, the mergers and less competition will certainly make a difference as will dates. It's like anything these days, prices are going up but salaries aren't! It's quite often the case that a Caribbean holiday works out to be a similar price, and in some cases cheaper than going to european destinations. I'm off the Turkey in September and that's roughly a similar price to the last couple of times. I think it depends on where you are going and at what time of year as to whether there is a sharp increase or not, but things are certainly getting more expensive.

Darren
I'm not even thinking about next years holiday yet (haven't had this years yet :( )

But we never book so far in advance anyway, usually a couple of months before we go.
(One time we booked 6 days before we went! :D )
just tried thomsonfly website and the flights sre cheaper for next year than they are for this year. also tried med hotels and the prices are about £40 more. and the code Med Summer 10 is still giving 10% discount.. BUT can Thomson still chuck a load of extra charges at you once the flights are booked???

sharon
£750 more for the same holiday next year as this year. I did it as a comparison and that doesn't even include my eldest having reached the grand age of 13. I think DIY is the only way for us to go for 2009, I've had a quick look around but I suspect it's too early still for the full range of hotels to be out as yet. I shall just watch and wait, hard to do when you are used to booking more than a year in advance :(

Pam :)
The Hotel we go in is a Gold and we have tried DIY but Thomsons book all the rooms,we are waiting untill our visit in September to see who out of our freinds are returning next year.
With working here in Qatar I have set dates for my vacations (thats why we book early) which are not in the school holidays (uk schools) and it shouldnt make any difference as its adults only hotel.
My husband has set holidays too Qatarman.
It can be a pain sometimes can't it?

Pam, we have gone DIY for years now, but to apartments, not hotels.

We have found this arrangement suits us much better, gives us more flexibility
(can pick flight times within reason, don't have to be out of accomodation early etc)
and more spending money. :tup

I think it's the flight prices that may be the killer next year though.
As Qatarman says, hopefully, with the credit crunch, they'll still want bums on seats.

Let's hope that's reflected in their prices.
I've also looked and the price increase is astonishing! All I can think of that I'll look again in Sept, and again in the New Year. If the prices don't become more affordable, then th TO's will have shot themselves in the foot as no one will be going.
this year we are off to turkey, cost £1600

2009 same place, same time in july......£1100 same airport, same everything....i just booked it as soon as i could. and was very surprised at the low price
we are going away half board this year prefer ai but when we booked i couldn't find any ai,s for less than £3000 but nearer to £3600 for a good one.
for 2009 i got a bargain booked it when they first came out in april fuerteventura ai with good reviews family of 4 bang in the middle of the summer hols for £2130.
who was that with trajohno? any AI I've looked at have been so expensive!!

hi keepupwith
i booked it with thomas cook that price also included in flight meals and extra baggage allowance as thomas cook only give 15kg hold allowance. its staying at the castillo san jorge 11 nights (14 to long 7 not long enough for us) and its an apartment so we have a separate bedroom.
i just had a look to see if the holiday is still available and the price had gone up to 2519 plus £52 for meals & £60 for extra baggage so a total now of 2631.
couldn't check properly as it says booking system error don't know what that means.
Thanks very much Trasjohno I will take a look- sounds like a great deal!!

Thanks again

I don't know about next years holidays but I've found this years to be much more expensive if youre looking at Europe.
The same package this year to mainland Spain with the same TO was £400 dearer for the week with one less adult going. :yikes
I was looking at nearly £500 per person for two weeks HB in Majorca in Sept and by the time you've got snacks, drinks and ice creams etc it soon mounts up. AI for two weeks was more expensive than the Caribbean. :really

I've ended up booking the Caribbean, at just under £635 each for 2 weeks AI and apart from the $10 each to get in and the $20 to get out I doubt we will spend much more.

If things are that much more expensive next year and with some facing losing their jobs I can foresee a lot of cancellations in the future I'm afraid. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.