Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
It is possible - most taxis will happily hire themselves out for a day or half a day.

Sorry, it's that long ago that I enquired about doing it I couldn't give a realistic estimate of the current price. The cost of petrol, for instance, has gone through the roof in Turkey in recent years.

I suspect you're enquiring becasue you're worried about driving on Turkish roads. If that's the case, then don't be. They're nothing like as bad as some people would have you believe. In fact they're a lot quieter than UK roads as long as you stay out of the centre of major cities. I'd guess hiring a car will be cheaper than hiring a taxi for a day.
No, not worried about driving on Turkish roads......neither of us drive!

Although last time we did see a taxi go over cliff. Well, we didn't actually see it, our mini-bus driver did and pulled up fast to help out. Not that there was anything that could be done.

The reason I asked is because we've got so much to pack into a week (various off the beaten track sites etc) having a car at our disposal would enable us to do a bit more than we could by Dolmus.
Although you can just hire a "taxi", there is also the option of hiring a car with a driver from the car hire companies. This would be more comfortable as the cars would be better cares than taxis and most of these drivers would drive a lot better than the taxi drivers. They usually charge about £20 or so for the driver, although this would depend on which resort you hire them from (cars / drivers are always more epxensive in Marmaris / Icmeler compared to other nearby resorts). But remember, if you are going to be going awayfor a few days, you would have the expenses (such as hotel and food) of the driver to cover as well.
we used a taxi for a full day and it cost around £40 . this was two years ago in Kalkan so will be dearer now with cost of petrol etc.
del949
We had a hire car with a driver for a day last summer and it was £50.
Bargain!

So, will the driver take you where you want to go, or do his own thing? What's best?

We'd like to get out to some of the less well-known ancient sites this time.
If you discuss and agree an itinerary with the driver the day before you set out.He will then get an idea of what you are looking for and he will be able to suggest other sites which could be worth a visit.
We have found that prices for things like this can differ greatly, so would advise getting a few quotes before you decide which you want to go with, (ask to see the car if possible). We got a really cheap quote for a journey in a taxi once, but didn't see the car at the time. When we met the driver on the day, it was a complete wreck, several times on hills we thought we were going to roll back down!
Our driver was the english wife of the renta car owner. We told her what we wanted to do and then she suggested a scenic detour on the way back and it was a great day out, she enjoyed it as well. She's now a good friend and we'll be booking more days out this year. I felt that it was preferable to hiring a car for the day. In addition to the driver there were 3 of us so it was a very good price. This was in Datca we went to Marmaris and then visited Icmeler and Turunc on the way back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.