Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hiring scooters
99 Posts
Hi, We hired one from outside our hotel (Marinha Dourada) hired by the hotel taxi drivers there was a choice of about 10-15 and we paid 150rps per day but it was on long term 2 weeks or 200rps for a per day hire.....
Paper work, documents, errmmmm forget it (but if you want to be legit you should get an international driving permit available from some main post offices or AA, RAC) Also check your insurance some only cover mopeds (50cc) and many of the scooters are 150cc
As for the safe condition you will be the only one to find a well maintained one by looking, check the tyres, check for excessive play in the brakes because nobody else will...

we got our fuel from a shop about 100yards up from the hotel (green in colour with a little hatch window)

Regards

Steve
Hi,

Cant help with where to hire scooter but we tried a couple of years ago to hire a scooter with crash helmets but unfortunately at the time nobody could provide helmets, even asked the english couple that ran Shooters at the time, I cant believe that british people go out and about without helmets, I sure the road in Goa arent any softer than our road at home and lets face our road are a little more ''organised'' yes its tempting in the heat not to bother but having seen plenty of walking wounded over the last 5 years I personally wouldnt hire a bike without a helmet on saying that we saw alot more helmets on whilst there in March and we were told that the driver must now wear a helmet or you stand to be fined but I cant see this being ''policed'' other than the holiday makers.......
Thanks Guys

I know I won't get a totally safe scooter but I need one as safe as I can get or the wife won't go any where near. :yikes I know you have too wear helmets in the towns and I saw a lot of people wearing them in April.
I will stay at the CSM again and this trip I would like more freedom to go where the mood takes me.
Hire the scooter for just one day initially on the previso that if its mechanically sound you will have it for the long term.
thats a good bit of advice
xx
I think I well do that Ditcher.
You're very welcome.

I have been riding scooters for a total of about 60 weeks whilst in Goa. Mainly short 20 minutes hops but did a number of lengthy treks in the early days before the police got so interested in making their baksesh.

As someone who has had 3 "incidents" one of them near fatal I believe I have a fair amount of experience.

No matter how good you think you are at riding/driving, do so defensively.
Fear the worst. Always keep a sensible distance from whatever's in front.

My first two incidents were just matters of taking corners too quickly and skidding on the sand covered tarmac. Fortunately just a few friction burns and a battered pride.

The near fatal incident was when I was coming out of Anjuna, just behind an orange truck, about to cross the small hump bridge before you get to the road to Baga. For some unknown reason the truck stopped sharply on the top of the bridge.
I had 3 choices
1. brake sharply and risk my head flying towards the tailgate
2. swerve and avoid which would lead me into a deep (not water-wise) stream
3. gradually use the rear brake and lower the scooter to the ground and slide beneath the truck.

I took number 3 and ended up with another collection of friction burns and bruises but no other damage.

However I love the freedom the scooter gave me. And although less adventurous as I get older, the joys far outway the risks.

Tips.
1. Check the scooter especially steering column, brakes, lights, anything close to touching the ground eg faulty stand
2. Wear clear glasses when travelling at dusk especially through open areas. The bugs are attracted to your lights.
3. Get used to using your horn. Its the only indication to other road-users that you are there. They won't bother using their mirrors
4. Don't expect anything to move out of the way for you...it won't.
5. Keep an eye-open for pot-holes.
6. If parking where there are many other scooters eg flea market, remember the number plate or tie a piece of cloth to it to help you identify it.
7. Keep a piece of cloth handy, ready to wipe the seat when it gets wet through condensation.
for the first time in all the years he has been going to goa ,my partner got stopped on a bike today,the pliceman got rather shirty demanding to see the bikes insurance papers,so of cource mick played dumb :lol: but it seemed like the police man wanted to take the bike off him untill a indian man came over said something to the police man who them let mick go
oops
lol
xx
Just shows the 'could be' dangers of not logging off. Thankfully it was someone you know.

Members, please ensure you log off if anyone else has access to your computer.

Kath HT Admin
Thanks for the advice everyone, this will fill my wife with confidance in me hireing a scooter.NOT.
I had a motor bike fot manny years as a teenager and had a few minor accidents but have not riddern for a while.
Would it be advisable to do the uk test for 125s before going to Goa ?.

Peter
My hubby and I (both in our 40's and never ridden a motorbike/scooter) went to Goa (Candolim) for the first time last year and intended on hiring a scooter but after seeing how bad the roads are and how mad everyone drives I chickened out and we got taxis everywhere. This year we went for 3 weeks and decided to give it a go as we knew we missed out on loads. we thought, if we didn't like it we'd just give it back and pay for the days we used it. Well it changed our holiday completely and we kept it the whole 3 weeks. We had the best holiday ever and went all over, Calangute, Baga, Apora, Anjuna, Mapusa, Morjim, an more.

I would give you the same advise that was given to me. Insist on a new bike. That way the tyres and brakes SHOULD be OK. Take the owners name and tel no. in case you are stopped by the police and just say you borrowed it. Always give way to everyone else, take your time and keep your distance. It took us a little longer to get to where we were going but hey your in Goa what's the rush! You can go a little faster when your on the open roads when theres less traffic.

I'd say go for it, be careful and enjoy.
that sounds like good advice tracy
Peter - If you're wanting to be legit, then go for your UK licence as it's always a good thing to have, but Goa is a great place to learn, ok some of the roads especially calangute, candolim, mapusa and Panjim can be very daunting due to the number of vehicals and the randomness of their movements, but find yourself a quiet piece of road (early in the morning is always good (before 6am) and wizz around until you get the hang of it and then try a few busier roads and after you've done it for 3 or 4 days try Mapusa or Panjim..

Tracey - Yeah, it's a great way to see Goa, most of the roads away from Calangute are much easier to navigate, I drove all the way down to Mangalore (500 Kms away) and back and loved it, although, my bum was sore for days... :? - The roads are actually better once you get in to Karnataka and no need for the helmet either!
Ah, so now we know the real culprit :D How long did it take for the Mangalore trip, 2hours :wink:
They will get you --- whatever your exuse

I have not read all these posts because you can't beat the Goa police whatever you think.
A question for the people who have learned to ride in Goa or those about to. How would you feel if someone decided to ride a motor cycle/ scooter on roads near to where you lived without a licence or insurance? I have read the posts and I am aware that some people are sensible enough to realise that you can get seriously hurt on one of these especially if you are not used to driving one. Nowhere have I seen concern for any inoccent party who may get hurt or killed even by someone who has no licence and therefore no right to be driving on public roads. I suspect that the same people would report someone to the police if it was happening near to them and their loved ones were put into danger (especially children/ grandchildren). Personally I think this is a very irresponsible and dangerous practice, what do others think? By the way I am a fully licenced rider. Medion
Hi Origo

I have familey in India and they and there friends mostly have licences and insurence but a lot do not.
When in Goa even some of the taxi drivers we ended up with had no insurence or taxi licence and only told us due to avoiding police road blocks and asking us to say we were friends. If we had an accident I don't thing they would have been to consered for us.
I personally will be legal or not bother as I do not want to have a accident and not be covered by my insurence or be arrested for no documents, but thats just me.

Peter
Hi Origo,

I live in Goa so people to learn to ride around us. :? - I'm not trying to promote driving without a licence, I have an international licence and learnt to ride a bike in the UK, I've even thought about getting a licence over here, mainly so that I don't have to update my international one each year. But to give you an insight to the level of ability to pass your test over here, the last I heard is that if you can do a figure of eight without putting your feet down, you've passed. Fill you with convidence. Also, there are hundreds of ways that people even bypass this simplest of test (back handers), hey presto you have a licence. I would normally trust any english driver (as long as they've got any sort of licence in the UK more than I would most Indian drivers... There are accidents every day, and in the most part (of accidents I've seen, they've been locals), OK, there are more locals than tourists so that might account for it. Even if you have been riding a bike in the UK for years it still won't prepare you for the Indian roads, this is a seperate learning curve that you have to overcome as what you expect to happen in the UK just doesn't happen over here!

I don't think anyone wants to promote dangerous driving, I know I mentioned about learning to drive out here, I still think it's a good idea (sorry), but I did suggest finding a quiet road....

just a question - have you driven in Goa?

I have an international licence, insurance and my own bike so all the right papers, and I have to say it's nice to know I'm ok... Although I still drive occasionally without my helmet on the highway which is another no no... Again, I think it's safer doing this as you can hear and see more, and you need this extra sensory information when driving in Goa! Also been told off for over taking when I shouldn't have... oops

But thankfully no accidents as yet...

BTW - the Mangalore trip trip took 2 days there and 2 days back both times stopping off at Gokarna for the night. Probably 4 - 6 hours driving each day... Really bum numbing! (is that spelt right?)
Hi Peter and Rob, first to Peter. Just because the Goans (as you say do not have a licence or insurance ) does not give you the right to break the law just because they do. Please think about the child ( or adult or family provider ) who is seriously injured or dead because a tourist thought I do not need a licence over here as they are all corupt anyway. To you Rob, over the last months you have encouraged tourists to ride motor cycles/ scooters without a licence. If you have as you say a full bike licence then I find your advice to novice users very flipant. I have held a full bike licence here in the UK since 1966 and I passed my test on an Ariel Arrow if anyone remembers them. I have driven motorcycles in Cuba the Dominican Republic, South America, Thailand and also from Dehli through Bhutan and into Nepal. I then drove to Bombay and on to Goa. If you thought you had a sore bum then I would have swapped you anyday. I would still not advise anyone to ake the chance of riding in Goa without the correct licence and insurance. Maybe as a charity looking after children with their welfare at heart you should know better. Origo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.