Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
scooter hire
99 Posts
We always hire a scooter in Goa, I feel safer on it than walking. As long as you go with the flow and remember might is right. We never ride it after dark though mainly because you cannot see the edge of the road and there are so many vehicles without lights. Get an international driving licence and if you are stopped tell them you have borrowed it from a friend, not hired it, because that is illegal.
Guys get an International Drivers license. The Traffic department is on the prowl and a few British friends of mine have been fined 500 Rs for the offense, and No there is no reciept so you know who is keeping the money.

Why waste your energy and time talking to these greedy bums, just get a license, it will make your trip so much more enjoyable and stress Free !
I was 'fined' for this very act. How do I go about getting an International Licence?
You can download the form from the RAC website, you need 2 passport sized photos and photocopy of your full driving licence. It costs £5.50 and lasts for a year.
I guess it makes sense to get an IDL , will get the form downloaded ,thanks again shirleyV
Forgot to say; make sure that the horn works on the scooter, it's essential, nearly as much as the brakes!
I got mine from the main post office locally, took the form & photos in and it was filled out in front of me,

Would post a link but the Post office site is down for maintenace,

Mids
Hi,
I guess it boils done to who you'd rather give the money to.The crooked goan cops or the RAC.The fine is almost the same as the cost of a licence.
....and ,of course how many times you get pulled over.
Strangely enough I don't know of any LEGAL hire places... I'm not saying there aren't any, but I think they're just so out numbered by the others they're just so hard to find.

One thing to remember though, if you do hire a bike over here is to understand the roads BEFORE feeling confident. The roads out here are so different. The locals are enough to handle with but if you then add in the young tourists who wize around on the mopeds... Then it becomes even harder to stay in one piece.

1. Remember don't think you have right of way at round-a-bouts

2. T Junctions, don't expect people to stop (who shouldn't have right of way), don't even expect them to look (as they don't always), honk your horn to let them know you're thee

3. Pedestrians, I don't think they have any sense, sometimes they just walk striaght into the middle of the road without looking... again, it's good to honk your horn as your near anyone.

4. Traffic coming the other way.... It's good practice to 'warn' the drivers coming the other way that you're coming through, simply flash your lights (or keep them on if you're pretty sure they want to overtake), otherwise they will and leave you with as little room as possible. Suprising this works with Buses and Trucks for the most part.

Lots more... but I could go on forever....
And to add to Rob's very good list of do's and donts:

5. One way signs are merely a suggestion and not a rule..
Oh yeah... there's that one!!! :wink:
And another one, if the cops do stop you and they demand money, just say to them you want their name and number from their shirt and a receipt - they will certainly let you go !!!
Never hire a scooter for more than a day until you are happy with it.
If you pay up front for a long hire period, you are more likely to be given a wreck.
Hire it for the day.
If its mechanically sound then extend the hire period.
If not return it for a better one or go elsewhere
Just back from Goa After a heavy monsoon the roads are much worse than usual, saw and spoke with a few walking wounded who were in a real mess. I was in Glimpses of India one day which ajoins the Donna Alcina and watched some new arrivals get their scooters from the roomboys who had hired them to them The first family got their approx 5year old standing holding the handlebars with dad driving and mum behind, the next family was dad driving, a 3year old behind him then mum next. The usual motercycle gear was worn, dads shorts and sandals mums bikini tops and shorts and kids likewise. Off they went into the mad traffic around there. What is it withGoa that make people act so stupidly? No protective clothing, no helmets, no insurance, their travel insurance null and void the minute they set off Every day the local press report scooter deaths but tourists seem to think they will be o.k. I've been a bike owner in the past and woudnt risk it over there. At the very least you are risking extreme skin loss if you fall mabey requiring grafting and no insurance to cover it It's bad enough risking your own life but to risk your chids as well is totally irresposable Alan
It really Beggars belief what some of our fellow tourists do abroad :shock:
it amazes me that people would not dream to ride a bike at home even though safety gear is compulsory and you have to prove your competancy on a bike :!: but as soon as they go on hols its fine under any circumstances and like others have said risk hurting there small children as well :evil:
fair enough if they do it thereselves being adults they have a choice but taking others on is wrong full stop :tdown
Just a point , though is that as long as you are experienced then hiring a bike should be fine - after all you rarely see a travel rep without one do you! :P
Well you have to behave sensibly don't you. If you drive carelessy then you are lkely to get hurt but that applies anywhere in the world, not just Goa.

I rarely ride a bike in the U.K. but always have one in Goa but then I don't go shooting off up the road like a bat out of hell.

The speed I travel at is no faster than I could reach on a push bike and often a lot slower. I don't ride at night because I prefer cooked food to eating bugs, which is inevitable when riding at night and I stick to the coast road or the side roads. I rarely overtake, what's the point, and if the traffic gets too heavy I stop and wait.

This is because I rarely ride in the U.K. I know I'm no Eddie Kidd and that is why I'm cautious. If I rode in the U.K. it would be "familiarity breads contempt" and that's when accidents happen, when yo get complacent.

It's true that there are accidents all the time in Goa but I can honestly say in my experienc it has been when people have been drunk, high or just plain stupid. Hitting dogs, cows, pigs, potholes etc. seems to be favorite.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.