Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
scooters
11 Posts
Cons

1. Unless you have an international drivers licence and have passed your bike test be prepared to be fined by the local police who do lots of checks.

2 lots of holiday insurance dont cover motorcycles any accidents may not be covered. you always see people injured from scooter accidents

3 Even if you are the worlds best driver most of the drivers in Goa are manic, you are not only avoiding pot holes and cows you will be playing chicken with some very scary drivers.

Pros

If you can get off the beaten track they are a great way to see the area.

Im not saying ive never hired one but traffic in candolim wasnt as crazy as it is now. Do yourself a favour, walk get a taxi/tuk tuk or even try the local buses which are fun. :)
Have hired one for 6 months for many years but would not go out without an helmet and do not drive in the dark - car drivers are the worst for driving on full headlights wherever they drive - pain in the bum (or eyesight).
Hire one every year, wouldn't be without one,

daytime use only to commute to northern beaches, get off the beaten track and a little use between BCC area before dark.

If you are not very experienced I wouldn't recommend it but if you take your time, keep your eyes peeled and drive defensively you should be o.k.

I have had an international driving permit every year and have never once been asked for it, but have just got another one, sods law and all that!

Mids
We couldn't be without a scooter. Just remember the tips given in previous posts. Also only hire one with a yellow number plate. Only the driver legally has to wear a helmet and only on major roads.
Just give way to everything. Don't get road rage with all the hooting.
I think it is less dangerous than walking in the main resort areas.
We hire scooters every trip & use them for short trips, as far north as arambol & as far south as Coco beach is about as far as we travel on them. As with others not at night, because most indians don't give way/ stop at stop signs/ stick to theor side of the road/worry about knocking any one off or over. You need to keep your eyes open because the biggest vehicle usullywins in india and you will be well down the pecking order on a scooter. The bugs also make it dangerous for the hour immediatley after sunset.

Would not recomend the motorbikes unless you are a very good rider. They tend to be badly maintained (as are the scooters to a certain extent) but there is a big difference between a twist & ride and a bike with clutch; gears; foot brake etc.. also coming off at 20 mph (about as fast as the scooters go) is very much safer than coming off at say 35 mph.

Don't be tempted to take a scooter to any of the markets as the traffics real bad & you can quite easily forget which scooter is yours.

Never had a yellow plate but we "borrow" them off our friends (make sure you know your friends real name - it'll be on the docs which have to be with the scooter).

Never been stopped on a scooter by the police (in 18 years!) although I've been waved down a few times. Just smile, wave back and keep going. The worse thing that'll happen is that you get a "fine" 200-300 rupees. My theory is that the police can't be bothered to go after you because there's someone else behind you they can stop and get their bribe from.

Try not to use the water bottle fuel that you buy by the roadside, it's often dirty and can stop the scooter running.

Do not be tempted to overtake indian style. Keep to the left & if it gets too busy (frightening) then just pull over and let the traffic go before you move off again.

Basically as long as you are sensible then you'll be absolutely fine and it's a great way to get around and a great way to get a bit of a tan without frying yourself on the beach.

Think we pay 200 rupees per day but not been for a couple of years.
20 mph (about as fast as the scooters go)

Not even close. :rofl
Max13biker wrote:
Not even close.

Unfortunately I've never been lucky enough to have a scooter in india with a working speedo but if I ever do I'll check for sure.

Of course the manufacturers bumpf will have you believe that you can get 40/45 out of your 50 cc but I think they must have done the speed tests downhill with the wind from behind.

Up hill, forget all about it unless you get a run up....your only chance is flat out all the way
i have a scooter for the 10 weeks im there my only advise is not drive in exactly the same manner as you do here.it will only confuse the goans.get into their ways.its much safer.remember the speed limit in goa............parked or maximum speed thier is no inbetween.remember all
goans are born drivers and do not need training or advise the proof of their legendry skill is found in graveyards all over g0a.
Of course the manufacturers bumpf will have you believe that you can get 40/45 out of your 50 cc

The ubiquitous Honda Activa is actually 100cc and easily capable of doing 40 mph. :tup
thanks for your advice everyone..................now i am confused haha xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.