Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hiring scooters
43 Posts
Flippin 'eck Shem, I wouldn't like to get in your way on the roads :yikes :lol: Think I'll stick to my push bike over there, nice and steady, but the advice you and the others have given is excellent.
Sorry... I did a booboo... The last post from shem222 was actually from me rather than her, I was unaware that she had used my computer to post a message so she was already logged in, so the next post I made used her name. Sorry folks,

And... Yes police are starting to enjoy the process of taking bikes of people especially when they aren't parked in the right place in Panjim or Mapusa...
Hi
Yes you should come here to Goa with an International driving licence and carry it with you at all times ALONG with your UK licence when riding a scooter here. One thing worthy of note is that the laws have just changed and so hiring a scooter will be a little more regulated from this season on. In the past anyone used to give you a bike for hire (totally illegal), to legally hire one out you had to own 8 vehicles and have them all on yellow and black numberplates (like the taxis). To stop the dangerous practice of anyone giving you a scooter, they have now introduced a sceme where you only need 1 bike to legally hire it. That howere MUST be registered, tax must be paid on it and it MUST be on yellow and black number plates. If you hire one this season that is not on yellow and black plates then be prepared to be stopped every 5 minutes by the Police. Lots of local people are talking about putting their bikes on the new plates so dont worry, there will be more than enough about.

edit to remove unauthorised signature
I have heard that there is a problem with insurance. It is now not possible to hire a scooter unless it has been issued with a yellow plate. Is this true and does the same apply to cars? Anybody had any problems this season?
My friend has just returned from Goa and says you really do need to get an inetrnational drivers licence if your going to hire a scooter as poeple are being stopped and fined 500 rupees. We have hired one every year without obtaining a licence. I'm a bit worried now as I don't want to be stopped. Also, is it correct that you need to hire one with yellow number plates? We usually hire it from the bell boys at our hotel and always insist on a newish bike as it should be safer. Any info would be appreciated. Tracy
Bring an international driving permit £5 from post office / AA / RAC and only hire a scooter with black plates and yellow numbers otherwise you run a higher risk of being stopped. Helmets must be worn by the driver on highways and you should ALWAYS carry the bike papers and licence with you.
GFF xx
Thanks GFF. Do I still need to carry the papers with me if I'm not going on the highways?
Hi Tracy,

YES, carry all papers at all times, in fact don't hire a scooter unless the papers are given to you. If you get stopped you may be asked to produce Licence, ownership papers, insurance docs and the paperwork that proves that the bike is licenced to be hired out. On the other hand you may not be asked for any of these things but it is the law to carry them so best to be on the safe side.

GFF xx
I emailed the place in Panjim that adevrtises hired scooters on the web (legally, with insurance), but they never got back to me. Anyone know if it is still available from any companies in Goa?
There are LOTS of yellow number plates up for rent. But make sure you have all the documents, even an idea to read the insurance as I don't think it will cover you as a rider, just the other bike and repairs to the bike you're riding... You holiday insurance is unlikely to cover you either, perhaps some will if you're wearing a helmet, but better safe than sorry.

I love driving here, although I understand the dangers, I think most people should at least spend a few days observing the traffic or being on the back of someone who has been driving here a while to get a feel for it, to understand people don't look, don't signal, drive in random directions. Thankfully so far I've been lucky, driving pretty much ever day for 3 and a half years and the only accident I've had in Goa is a grazed toe. (old man on an old bike turned *without signalling with hand or indicator* as I was over taking him... Slammed the breaks on, didn't stop as quickly as I hoped (it was wet during the monsoon) everyone was fine, bike had a little scratch....

If you do drive over here so do need confidence as people will try and take the whole road up...

Probably been said before but you need international driving licence (available from RAC/AA in the UK, Insurance papers, emissions report if the bike is over 1 year old, owners book (registration book) - I think that's it... I once had a policeman say that my internation driving licence was only valid in the UK! - Some will try anything to get money out of you! :?
Hope that helps
to understand people don't look, don't signal, drive in random directions

But it works, in some strange fashion(most times). We scooter around when we're there, and if someone wants to overtake (which they invariably do) we let 'em. They'll always be stuck in the jam, further up the road anway.

I've found the 'rule of the road' the locals subscribe to, is....if there's something in front of you, OVERTAKE IT - and if there isn't OVERTAKE IT ANYWAY!!

There was one occasion when we were approaching a very narrow bridge ( which could only take traffic in one direction; at a squeeze a car and a scooter). The oncoming traffic was just about on the bridge, and you'll never guess what I saw in my rear view mirror. Yup, a car trying to OVERTAKE!! :lol: Where was he gonna go?? He soon realized that there was NOWHERE to go, so had to drop back. This is just ONE of many, many examples of 'driving' in Goa .

In wet conditions they drive just the same; at night - the same; at night and in the wet - just the same!

We never saw any accidents whilst we were there - we just heard about 'horrendous' happenings at Calangute roundabout, from the guy at Guru Jewels.
Im thinking of hiring a scooter for a few days whilst im in Goa next year.
Ive never hired one before, but im a bit on edge because they're all nutters driving in Goa :shock:
Im thinking of hiring a scooter for a few days whilst im in Goa next year.
Ive never hired one before, but im a bit on edge because they're all nutters driving in Goa

Don't do it. :shock:

I've been riding motorbikes for 45 years - yet riding in Goa worries me :swear
Even athough I only ride at a fraction of the speed I normally ride at in UK. 8)

Rent a car - you can get one for 600-800 Rs per day. You'll find that other drivers will make room for a car - whereas on the bike they'll try to push you off the road. I've lost count of the number of times I've had an altercation with a taxi driver for cutting in and nearly knocking me off.

Last year I saw a local who had been knocked off his scooter by another driver - the local bus following him, then ran over his head. Not nice. :?
To: "yummymummy" If you read this entire topic (unless you already have?) you'll get some VERY good advice. You'll also read of incidents and accidents, but hopefully the thread will help you decide whether or not to go for a scooter.

We 'scootered' - we loved it :!:
Don't get me wrong - I've had Enfields, Scooters, Pulsars, Suzuki Maruties and a Gypsy Jeep and I love it! :D

However, if you don't ride a bike in the UK - why on earth would you even contemplate riding one in India :?:

By the way check that your holiday insurance allows you to ride a bike. :shock:
hi v94n - yes i have read all the topic, but im still uncertain.
I might just hire a scooter for a couple of days.

What also worrys me, is in the UK if you dont have any insurance etc and the police stop you, they take you to the police station and charge you dont they? do they do the same in India?
I dont fancy being locked up in an Indian jail
I can confirm this from personal experience.

If stopped you must have the vehicle registration documents - since last year there is a new number plate required for rental vehicles.

All that you have to provide, is an International Driving Permit and they will let you go on your way. :D

Otherwise - be prepared for some hard bargaining over the backsheesh. :shock:
I was stopped a week or so back licence sir, in my hotel, you must carry your licence a fine of Rs450. I only have Rs250 in my wallet, so the offence was changed to overtaking on a bridge a fine of Ra100 :shock: :shock:

lez
I was stopped near Aguada jail on a white number plate :? Luckily I had my international permit and then had to explain that I borrowed the bike from my good friend in Vagator, "how much you pay him for hire" nothing I replied and after a little head shaking he let me on my way leaving my 200 rps baksheesh money still in my side pocket :wink: well worth getting the permit as it only costs about a fiver :idea:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.