Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hiring scooters
43 Posts
I know how to drive a car, so riding a bike cant be hard can it?

i think ill stick to taxi's anyway, its not like they're expensive. only cost pennies
Looking back through all the posts on this, they seem to divide into two groups. One seems only interested in having the right paperwork i.e. an international licence so as to avoid any " fine " that the police may demand, that seems to be their only worry, others , like myself, think it's madness to even think of hireing one, in the event of a serious accident, your travel insurance is null and void, any so called insurance the roomboy has wont help you one bit, quite apart for the worst case senario, if you happen to need a £50,000. medivac back home, how about any local Goan you may kill or injure ? We all know the terrible driving standards in Goa, you can drive as slowly and safely as you like but if one of the crazy drivers hit you what then ?. I,m sure none of you would grab a scooter back home and without passig a test or having valid insurance venture onto U.Ks roads so why do it in Goa ? Taxi fares are'nt that dear are they? Alan
I know how to drive a car, so riding a bike cant be hard can it?

I think your find they are two totally different forms of driving! Just because you can drive a car dosen't mean you can just jump on a bike and ride it! Gramps post is well worth taking note of!!
Your quite right there Alan, as an experienced bike rider of 25 years it is sometimes easy for me to very foolishly take things like that for granted. Nicola stick with taxis if you have never rode a bike, I only ever use mine for short journies to the beach and never use it at night.
reading this might help if your thinking of hiring a scooter without experience of bike riding!

here
I have lived and rode in Goa for 3 and a half years and I love it. Although if you are thinking about it you MUST study how the traffic moves and behaves as it is VERY different to the UK, or probably anywhere for that matter. During the busy months I find driving around Calangute/Candolim less inviting as it's so busy and as such locals/taxi drivers are less aware of their suroundings which make it more dangerous. Also ALWAYS look out for pedestrians who really don't look!!! - If you're driving most other places (excluding the towns) it is very relaxing and laid back.

Max13biker - you mentioned about being pushed off the road by other vehicals... This is a common reaction when you're in a smaller vehical, but if you have the confidence you can stand your ground. I rarely have any size vehical who pushes me around on the road. You have to take a stance and keep to it (while it's safe to do so). Otherwise they can see you making way for them and then they just take more and more and that's when other people run out of room and end in the ditch!

Insurance - when you hire bikes the insurance is for the bike not you (I think this is the same for rented bikes), if you're worries then read the insurance and what it covers!). Like it's been said it's unlikely that holiday insurance will cover you, especially if you don't have a valid INTERNATIONAL licence and of course you're not wearing a helmet!

Police - Don't always believe what police say as I've had them saying that my valid international licence was only valid in England - Duh! - they don't seem to like it when you have all the correct documents. In Goa you are expected to carry your documents on you - licence - insurance - registration - pollution certificate (if it's older than a year - renewable every six months) - it's a complete pain! Thankfully most of the police know me around Mapusa (where I live) so I rarely get stopped, but when I go further a field (down south etc), pretty much every journey down to Palolim for example I've been stopped - It's really quite annoying at times especially as they do home in on the foreigners.... (more money I guess!)

If you decide to - be careful!
We all know the terrible driving standards in Goa, you can drive as slowly and safely as you like....
Indeed, but it's about making informed choices. What this thread does, is TRY ( I say TRY) and prepare anyone thinking of hiring a scooter in Goa.

We've read the common sense advice (nice one Rob - consistently good advice on scooters from one who's out there a lot); we've read the doom merchants :(
We read about the HT'ers who 'wing' it, doing it the 'goan way' (3 or more aboard - Hey! I've SEEN it!!)

My take on it? I enjoy it; I know the risks; I try to ride defensively when I need to - and aggressively when the situation calls for it. Yes, I know I can't legislate for OTHER drivers OR pedestrians/cows/dogs/...Oh, and elephants :!: but, I do what I can to minimize the risks. [/b]
One of the doom merchants back again, all the advocates for scooter hire seem to never address the point about insurance, they never broach this subject in their posts, if they want to injure and maim themselves, thats fine by me, thats their decision, but its the other person, especially a Goan who may be caught up in this scenario. Without the insurance who,s looking out for them?. That,s why you carry insurance as a condition for using the roads. As always I exempt Rob from these remarks as I know that as a resident hes got all the necessary stuff. Alan
poilpleshadow.

whereas on the bike they'll try to push you off the road.

I said "they'll try to push you off the road" I have been riding bikes for 45 years and nobody pushes me around - believe me.

The thing is - that Goan drivers in general (there are a few exceptions) are totally unaware of what's going on around them. They are only interested in what they are doing, and they don't care, or are not aware of the effect it has on other road users.

When they overtake a bike and cut in, they don't expect people like you or me to stand our ground and maintain our position on the road. They always expect the bike to move over, or to brake and make a space.

I am not a doom merchant - but I do carefully assess the risks and then make my decisions. I always wear a helmet, make sure my travel insurance lets me ride a bike, carry an International Permit and make sure that the vehicle is legal and in good mechanical condition. Then I go out on the road and drive very carefully - yet every year I have at least one near miss. :(

I have had a couple of bike accidents in the UK; wearing all my protective kit - leather suit fitted with armour, carbon fibre reinforced gloves and I know the damage that can be done to my body. Yet for some daft reason I ride around Goa wearing shorts and a tee shirt - how daft is that. :roll:

I'll say it again - I'm not a doom merchant. I just can't understand why some people who don't ride bikes at home are happy to jump on a bike in Goa. :?

It's a good job you can't hire 1,000cc Fireblades or Gixxers - but that may come. :shock:
Can someone point me in the direction of a legal scooter hire place with all the correct insurance please?
Phew! Now you're asking!! :? :roll:
Can someone point me in the direction of a legal scooter hire place with all the correct insurance please?

What area are you asking for?

On one of my trips last year someone asked me to look in advance for them for scooter hire in Benaulem. I went out of the hotel one day to check this out. After 200 yards walk I had found 21 signs advertising mopeds/bikes for hire. The first way to spot the legal ones is to see if the scooters have yellow (private hire) plates rather than the white personal use ones.

Geoff
Geoff, it's North Goa I'm looking for, Baga area, staying in Siolim but I doubt there will be anything there!

Thanks
Martin, sorry can only really help with Benualim and Candolim areas on that.
However I too would be interested in recommendations for the Baga area as I will be there for part of my stay in Feb.

Geoff
(in Benualim from this saturday)
I always ask the manager of the guesthouse to arrange a bike for me.
It's usually one of the houseboys' bikes I get (it's legal)! :wink:
I've have ridden a bike in goa for the last two years. I dont like to ride at night and I don't like to ride in the build up areas too much.

Where I love to ride is the open roads on the way to Vagator and Arambol. Really nice journey and some amazing views. Not much traffic ether so as long as your driving carefully there shouldn't be a problem. In all other cases. e.g. going the market driving to and from restaurants and bars I'd use a taxi.

Just be careful. The driving is different but it does work when you get used to it.

Some very good points made by a lot of people including the doom merchants. Its not going to stop me riding though. :oops:
Unless you really know what you are doing and how the system works:-
International Driving Permit.
Hire one with yellow number plates.
Stick to the coastal belt.
Avoid driving at night.
Slowly, slowly. After all you are on holiday so what's the rush.
Last but not least. TURNING RIGHT !!
This can be a nightmare for the novice. Till you get the hang of things, the safe bet is to pull up on the left and wait for a good time to cross.
DO NOT sit in the middle of the road waitng for a gap. Those in the "know" usually get across early and drive into the oncoming traffic, then turn. I know, sounds scary but it works.
INSURANCE counts for nothing. Any damage to the bike is paid for by YOU, including third party.
I ride all over Goa and beyond, so i can't say don't hire, just some points to ponder and take on board.
Be safe and enjoy the freedom it gives you.
Hi all,

Now I am sure this has probably been asked quite a lot recently.

We have hired scooters the last two times we have been to Candolim, but I have heard that the police are starting to be funny about it.

Anyone got any advice or know if the police are being 'funny' about it. I know that we will have to have an international driving licence etc.

Thanks guys xxx

**2 Weeks Today!!!!**
Always carry your international licence and UK licence , aswell as all the documents for the bike. If you have all these, the police cant fine you. They will try, but ask them for a receipt and you'll probably be waved on. if your driving on the highway, wear a helmet, otherwise it's not necessary
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.