Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Thank you for that Sanji

How sweet of the giant to do that :wink:

I will look for it now though when we go to Beni in June

Kazeexx
There is another story about this 'hole' in the mountain that says a local giant once kicked out a piece of the mountain in anger at loosing his daughter in marraige to a man he disaproved of. According to legend the missing piece now sits in the sea off the Benidorm coastline and forms a little island about a kilometer out to sea. This is the chunk of rock that we can all seen from the beach known as 'Bird Island'.
Yep Sanji, thats what we were told, on the Trolley bus tour, and Peacock Island is that chunk which Roldan threw into the sea.
True Love. :love
I wonder which "legend" is "true" ?

:shrug

besos xxx
Hi Sanji,
I think it's ours (sorry BHIC ) as I've heard this from other sources.
4 weeks on Tuesday, and counting. I'm having trouble sleeping already!!!
I think it's ours (sorry BHIC ) as I've heard this from other sources.
4 weeks on Tuesday, and counting. I'm having trouble sleeping already!!!

Over the many years that I have been going to benidorm, I have heard several different versions to explain the hole in the mountain. All these are legends and which one is true...or should I say the more believeable....who can tell.

Another story I have heard is all about the feats of San Juane and his horse that was susposed to have bolted at the sight of a snake and kicked out the piece of the montain which landed in the sea.....known today as 'Bird' or 'Peacok' Island.

Other legends recount tales of Giants and Damsels in distress with their valiant Champions.....who can be sure which is the real legend? But it is interesting to note that the Island in the sea is exactley the same shape as the hole in the mountain.

All the Reps that have retailed stories of the hole in the mountain to me on various trips and excursions all tell a different story. As I say, I have heard several. ANY one of them could be true.
I like the one about San Juanes horse, BHIC. Havn't heard any of the others though.
On the subject of mountains....Has any of you seen the mountain on the way to Guadalest which looks loike the head of a lion and the one by the animal sanctuary that looks like an elephants head (Tom spotted that one last year) Anyone got any stories sorry , legends about these. :D
the one by the animal sanctuary that looks like an elephants head

You would be referring here to 'Mount Montgo' overlooking Javea . I can't recall any 'tales' or legends about this mountain but will post if I can remember anything at a later date.
back to the hole in the mountain....

Did somebody once tightrope across the gap.....or am I dreaming that ??

:?
Did somebody once tightrope across the gap.....or am I dreaming that ??

I don`t know Julie....I see if I can find out :wink:

Besos xxx
I have heard all the myths over the years too. I have also heard them ridiculed by one tour guide, who insisted that there is no hole or gap in the mountain, and it's all an optical illusion. She claimed that looking from the coast towards the mountains, what you are seeing is the point where two entirely separate mountains overlap, giving the impression of just one mountain with a hole in it. I have never been up there to confirm that theory, but having zoomed in from a distance, it's certainly not the impression I get.

Sanji - forget the wee hill with the cross on it - this is your next expedition for HT members !! :wink
David :wave
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Sanji - forget the wee hill with the cross on it - this is your next expedition for HT members !!
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Once upon a time, when the world was being created, the creator knew in his omnicience, that one day multitudes of holidaymakers would descend upon the mighty Benidorm. So he missed a chunk out of one of the mountains to give them something to talk about.

From "The Book of Dorm" 2006
I have heard all the myths over the years too. I have also heard them ridiculed by one tour guide, who insisted that there is no hole or gap in the mountain, and it's all an optical illusion. She claimed that looking from the coast towards the mountains, what you are seeing is the point where two entirely separate mountains overlap, giving the impression of just one mountain with a hole in it. I have never been up there to confirm that theory, but having zoomed in from a distance, it's certainly not the impression I get.

Hiya David....I think you like setting me missions to complete :rofl

You can tell that tour guide that she is talking a load of twaddle, next time you meet her.. :wink: ..I just been mountaineering for the last hour.....I`ve climbed Puig Campana from all directions.

I took pictures 28 ..some from the summit....CLICK HERE
It was a doddle :roll: I never even broke into a sweat :rofl
Sanji - forget the wee hill with the cross on it - this is your next expedition for HT members !!

In your dreams babe :shock:

sanji xxx
Once upon a time, when the world was being created, the creator knew in his omnicience, that one day multitudes of holidaymakers would descend upon the mighty Benidorm. So he missed a chunk out of one of the mountains to give them something to talk about.

From "The Book of Dorm" 2006

Very Good. PMSL. :rofl

sanji xxx
:offtop
Anyone who has seen the video of the "cross" that looks over Benidorm, will be saddened by the graffitti on it.
I`ve just been looking at this site and who the heck would want to climb 438 metres up a mountain face to the summit, and leave graffitti there :roll: :shock:

CLICK HERE

Sanji xxx
one tour guide, who insisted that there is no hole or gap in the mountain, and it's all an optical illusion. She claimed that looking from the coast towards the mountains, what you are seeing is the point where two entirely separate mountains overlap, giving the impression of just one mountain with a hole in it.

Actually, what David has been told could be a very strong possibilty....if you look carefully at this picture....you need to look VERY carefully, it does look like it may be TWO mountains, two SEPARATE mountains, or large rocks overlapping, with a THIRD rock, or piece of land behind the two giving the IMPRESSION of a chuink missing, when it is in fact THREE separate pieces of rock.

Indeed, it could be an optical illusion :hmmm . Zoom it as far as you can get. They do look separate to me. You can just about make out the outline of the edges of what clearly looks like TWO large rocks almost overlapping each other with a third rock, or some land behind.

Maybe David's Rep was right all along :roll:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/144413.JPG
. You can just about make out the outline of the edges of what clearly looks like TWO large rocks almost overlapping each other.

I thought that at first, but, I think that is a deep gully, the picture from the summit shows the gap, and if you go into the site, then more information about routes etc are available....there are several references to the deep gully that runs down it.
here

sanji
Well, seems like there is only one way of finding out for certain whether there IS a piece missing, or if there is more than one mountain overlapping.......Sanji.....your next mission for HT, should you choose to accept it, is to walk up the mountains with your camcorder........ :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.