General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
holiday money?
9 Posts
The first hurdle in you plan is power cuts/ bank computer failures. It's a big risk arriving completely cashless.

Second, will you have to pay to use the card? This question is answered several times on this board so I'm not going in to it again, the easiest way to find them is to use the Search option and look for "Nationwide Flex" because that always gets mentioned! Turkey is classed as Europe by the card companies and I'm not going to restart the various arguments about whether it really is in Europe either!

And the big issue is what is the Pound doing? If you get to June and it's slipping it would be an idea to cut your losses and get the cash, if it's rising it might be worth hanging on. At the moment it's basically in pre-election limbo. It might be an idea to keep an eye on the rate each day but stick to the same source, BBC Text is easiest.
We usually take some cash and then get the rest out when we are there, I would advise taking just a small amount of lira as you will get a much better exchange rate out there. We have a Nationwide flex account and in Turkey we don't have to pay to withdraw money. We also take a couple of other cards with us just in case one card gets lost or stolen.
I'd take a days money with you. unless you're mega boozers I'd say £100 a day should be fine!
I've had no problems using ATMs in Turkey, but it is always sensible to take a bit of cash as a back up. My experience is that euros were a preferred second currency, but other members may have other experiences. If you take Euros take low denomination notes such as fives, tens and twenties.
Unless you have spare euros, I wouldn't bother taking euros with you to Turkey - they're quite happy to take lira or sterling when you're shopping, etc. Also, you'd have to pay the exchange rate from sterling to euro in the first place (and then they'd work out the exchange rate again in Turkey if you understand what I mean).

As suggested in other responses, if you're not happy using a safety deposit box then certainly take your ATM card with you. Again, I would strongly suggest getting a Nationwide flex account card - me and the OH half have a joint one so we both have a card (although we've never had a problem with our cards). It certainly does save money in two ways - the exchange rate you get is higher than that on offer and you don't pay a charge for using a Nationwide card in Turkey.

JAK xx
where ever I go, I take cash, and always put what I dont need in the safe
I always take enough money for a couple of days and then use my ATM card. Any trips I go on get put on my CC.
With regards to how much money you'll need this will obviously depend on what board you have at your accomodation and how much you want to do!

If self catering I would agree with Chivas69. We always budget on £100 a day for the two of us and this covers all meals out, drinks, a couple of trips and money spent during the day on sunbeds, dolmus', water taxis, ice lollies etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.