General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday Reading
30 Posts
I have been reading a few books recently however I do now much prefer my Kindle, this is from someone that was given a Kindle for Christmas many years ago and put it in to a drawer where it lay for months as 'I like proper books'.
We were going on holiday and I was told 'you are not taking books if you want something to read set up your Kindle' so I downloaded a few on and as soon as I actual used it I was hooked.

Not everyone's cup of tea however I have been reading and reading and reading A Game of Thrones which I have thoroughly enjoyed, I did watch some of the TV series which again is a very loose adaptation of the books and not really doing the books justice.
Another reason why I like reading my kindle on holiday- with a book the spine kept on melting and then pages started to fall out!
My Kindle is as old as the hills, paid a bit more at the time for the WiFi version. Got the little button keyboard on, bless it.

I've never bought a book for it in my life, as only ever download the free books......
As per Glynis, my Kindle is ancient complete with keyboard. Actually tried to use the experimental browser once but just too slow and clunky!
I tend to look for freebies too -think I have only paid a couple of times for books and one of those occasions I actually got a collection of Sci Fi books for £1.99
I have a Samsung Tablet and downloaded the Kindle App, and do love it on holiday. My favourite Author 'Nicky Charles' has just published another novel - Kindle version - so I have downloaded ready for holiday in 4 weeks.

I have tried 3 times to read Girl on a Train, which I downloaded, and could not get into it at all, yet many people I know found it a really good read, but I gave up
I find that I can't concentrate to read books on holiday where you need to closely follow the plot. I find I just read easy reads- things I probably wouldn't read at home.
another source of free books for a kindle https://www.bookbub.com/home/

I still have the original kindle, going on for six years now. I keep thinking I will update it but then say if it's not broken why fix it.
That's impressive Judith - my wife managed to kill two in the space of 12 months...
If it's a short holiday, one week, I tend to chose "chic lit". Lucy Diamond does some good, lightweight stories. For two-week holidays I either go for fiction, Penny Vicenzi has been a past choice. I sometimes chose non-fiction, recently read book by one of Saga's cruise captains about his life at sea.

Favourite book at the moment is Highest Duty by Capt "Sully" Sullenberger; couldn't put it down. Recently re-issued to coincide with film release, but only with a new cover (Tom Hanks). Don't know whether I would read it on a flight though......
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.