General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday Reading
30 Posts
I wish I could say that I love holiday reading, my wife turns very anti social and has her head in a book or Kindle and reads several books on holiday.

Me oh yes I take my Kindle with every intention of reading, in reality I am just far to nosey and spend my time wandering or people watching. I took a book with me recently and in the 2 weeks we were away I managed a total of 6 pages.

What I need is a book that has VERY short chapters so I could read a few pages then put it down for me me to be nosey.

Recent reads for me back home have included The Girl On The Train and The Girl With All The Gifts however I have to admit my favourite travel tales have still got to be by Peter Mayle.
I hope the book of The Girl on the Train is better than the film - I can't get that time back again!
Was going to watch the film tonight -maybe not now !!!!
Couldn't be without my Kindle on holiday -usually download half a dozen books to read before I go -last holiday to Corfu, we had some bad weather and the books were invaluable -I read about 6 in total!!
I've seen worse films to be fair - just wasn't as good as some friends had made it out to be...
I haven't read Girl On A Train, nor seen the film. I was taking to the lady in the book shop in Corralejo recently who'd done both. She was disappointed in the film as it was based in USA & the book London, she said it just wasn't right!

I'm like Kiltman, too nosey around a pool or on a plane to read, but I enjoy a good read on a nighttime before bed. They have to involve murders or be true crime though!!
The McRyan ones should tick the boxes for you then Glynis...
At home I always have my head in a book, reading three or four each week ( thanks to Bookbub) but on holiday I'm like some other HT members and am too interested in what is going on around me to concentrate on a book. Even on long haul flights I will get my kindle out but only read a page or two before giving up and watching what is happening around me.
I also like crime novels and will have a look at the McRyan series, I 'm a fan of David Baldacci and Lee Childs' books.
  • Edited by Judith 2017-02-03 17:27:31
I read a book by David Baldacci on holiday Judith & am currently reading Lee Child! Both great reads.
Thanks Matt will keep my eyes open for them. We usually trawl the 2nd handshops for books or supermarket 2 for £7......
Glynis, there is quite fan club for Lee Child's hero Jack Reacher, I think there's been 21 books now.
Thanks Judith. I'm just coming to the end of Personal, it's my 2nd Jack Reacher thriller (I can't remember the title of the one I read on holiday, it was on the shelf in the apartment lol) I'd definitely read others though.
I enjoyed the book Matt, it was given to me by my daughter who also enjoyed it, she went to see the film and was very disappointed with it. The book is set in London and focuses around and creates a very atmospheric portrayal of the area and the specific style of railways and housing beside the tracks, however the whole atmosphere was lost and she said it just didn't work in the film.
For many years I used to annoy my wife browsing bookshops until aroun 5 years ago. Came back from holiday and was asking youngest what these Kindle things were that everyone seemed to be using around the pool. That's a good idea says he, was wondering what to buy you for Christmas - will save you a fortune.
And how right he was. On my third Kindle now - they do pack up for various reasons and have over 1,500 loaded on it.Read about 12 whilst we were in Lanzarote - usually read 3/4 each week. Most cost me nothing as I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

and

http://uk.dailyfreebooks.com/free_ebooks/c/?count=medium&catID=362827031

where there are plenty free. Has not stopped me browing the bookshops/stalls mind you.
Love my kindle. I think i have gone through 3 as well. Not that they packed up- just upgraded. Now have a kindle fire so I can read and also catch up on email or even listen to music. Our suitcases are so much lighter these days :)
Good advice from FWH on the Kindle freebies - come across a few books that have then resulted in me buying others from some of the authors.

Fiona - I bought a basic Fire after the kids stole the iPad for when I'm away. Hard to argue with it for the price...
Its definitely a good buy. I have the kindle fire hdx.
@Fiona,Matt -how do you get on with the Fire when reading by the pool or in strong sunlight? I installed Kindle app on a 8" tablet a couple of years ago, but went back to the old Kindle reader because the reflections drove me mad and I couldn't read in any position.
I'll be honest Dave - not really used it in the sun yet as it was purchased after the holiday last year but can see why it would be an issue compared to the traditional kindle
I treated myself to a Kindle Fire thinking it would be easier than using my phone when on holiday. No good at all in sunlight and the basic Kindle is far easier when reading books.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.