General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Slightly :offtop , but a few years back at a welcome meeting in
spain , the resort rep made a comment about knowing where people come from by the way they dressed . I think that said it all for me .
But i admire the French / spanish / italian ladies who look perfect at the breakfast table, make up hair all in place .
where did i go wrong
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Just cracking up at does wanting to know where she can go to purchase a muffin top. :cheers
:whoops Thought it might have been something sophisticated I could have bought in Matalan, but now realise I am already in possession of some.

Doe :rofl :rofl
Oh God

I will have to stop reading this at work the tears are running down my face with laughter. Boss thinks I've lost the plot :D

Doe
Sorry but you and the muffin top was what started me off. :rofl :rofl

This must be the best topic the HT has ever covered ;)
:cheers Ruby for starting it

Lynn
:rofl :rofl . Oh chris that was the best laugh Ive had all week.you sounded so serious as well :rofl
:lol: You can almost see Chris panicking and grabbing her purse to head into town in pursuit of a muffin top :lol: (I'd like one muffin top, and a set of of bingo wings please) - Mind you I hadn't a clue what a muffin top was - (oops nearly wrote mutton top :rofl )
I only knew what it was because Gok mentioned it this week on "how to look good naked " :rofl
Yes Glynis, that was the plan I just thought it must be the latest must have accessory for the 'Can you tell I'm British ? ' lady & was about to dash out and buy one. :really

Didn't want to he the only Brit lady on the beach in Turkey without one.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
When I stand, my muffin top stops my knees and feet from burning in the midday sun! :rofl
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
I'd like one muffin top, and a set of of bingo wings please

:rofl
It's a good job we carry them around with us, we'd all be charged excess baggage for them otherwise!
I have to own up also.....I didn't know what it meant until I saw "how to look good naked".............at least its not another accessory I have to squash in my suitcase......I'll squash mine into my trousers instead.
sam
nuttysam wrote:
I have to own up also.....I didn't know what it meant until I saw "how to look good naked".............at least its not another accessory I have to squash in my suitcase......I'll squash mine into my trousers instead.
sam

Nuttysam

You dont have to stuff your muffin top into your trousers just buy the magic knickers :tup :rofl :rofl

Lynn
This thread is brill, what a laugh :rofl
My problem is constipation and water retention, which always lingers for the first 3 days of the hols. I dont know what it is about travelling, but it does not seem to agree with me. In Tenerife in feb, I took some lovely fitted trousers, but could not wear them as my stomach was so bloated, and my new trendy heeled shoes were too tight becasue my feet were all puffed up :( so I ended up wearing 'comfy clothes' at night instead of my drop dead gorgous outfits I had envisaged on wearing :( . Even when I went to London for the weekend, after an hours bus ride, I was slackening my buckle on my new trendy jeans, and wore a baggy top for a night on the town. Does anyone else suffer with this, and why :que does it happen? as my pre hol 6 week of stomach crunches seem to be a waste of time :cry
Jackie,

I find that if I drink more water the bloating eases, however, I try not to drink absolutely freezing water because that seems to make the bloating worse and can make me gassy (I have never married - I wonder why!!!).

Sheila.
make the bloating worse and can make me gassy (I have never married - I wonder why!!!).
:rofl

One of my friends is overweight and she wears loose fitting linen trousers and a loose over top and looks really smart and says she feels much cooler. I have to agree - loose is best on holidays - you don't get 'wet patches' under your boobs etc :tup

Another thing I can't do is find sunglasses that suit me. I look like a spaced out bluebottle. With some people sunglasses make their outfit and they look brilliant. They sweep them up onto their heads for the San Tropez and look lovely - mine just make my hair look a mess.
Hi Sma,

I noticed you said you wear mascara when on holiday, swimming etc......................if you really feel the need to wear it you'd be better off wearing a waterproof one so that it doesn't run down your cheeks. But really, to look really chic it's much better not to wear mascara at all - it looks a little 'overdone' by the pool or beach.

If you have very fair eyelashes the best thing to do is to dye them dark brown or black (it lasts about 4 weeks) and it looks much more natural. You can curl them too if you want to open up your eyes - and that way you don't need to worry about getting them wet.

I never bother with make-up during the day on holiday (it melts in the sun anyway :) ) and I think it looks a bit silly to be honest. I do wear a little natural colour lipgloss and I make sure my eyebrows are in shape (you can have them dyed too).

For hair I find a french plait or chignon always looks elegant - and it keeps you cool too. If you want to lengthen your legs a pair of summer wedges look far better than flip-flops, and if you do feel bare without jewellery then a plain white or yellow simple gold bracelet/necklace and earings can look quite chic.

A good quality beachbag is a must - a cheap one will spoil the whole look; and good quality sunglasses are worth investing in too. And whether you wear a bikini or swimsuit always go for the best brand you can afford - one with good support if you are big-busted, or one which emphasises your best parts and detracts from your least favourite parts. A sunhat is important too to complete the look - and is quite necessary too when walking around.

I think three-quarter trousers are horrid - they make everyone look like they have very short legs, and can look ridiculous on the the wrong person.

But I think ultimately chci-looking people have very good deportment and they walk and sit gracefully - which makes them look stylish anyway.

By the way, your Primark trousers which now look unreputable......you don't fancy sending them to me do you? I'm very unreputable! :rofl

Strawberry
I'm really not bothered what I look like during the day.

It's the shabby chic in the evenings that I can't get right somehow - although previously explained as probably not buying the right quality of gear or accessories. I think most of us want to get that not-dressed-up but still looking nice thing that these continental ladies do so well............... :cheers

Less, is definitely more.
I know we are generally the 'un-chic' on this thread but on a similar vein, can anyone tell me what style of sunglasses are 'in' this year?

Is it still big? Having a quick google round it seems so, but I also heard something about Rayban styles making a comeback.

Help me out folks cos I'm gonna invest in some new ones this year and might even pay more than a fiver (or free with a magazine).

See, my last ones which were prescription (okay so they were free with a pair of glasses but still..........) which were worth more I was having a photographic session on our gulet and two of us were messing around, flicking our hair around and posing, which resulted in my glasses flying off my head and plopping into the (very deep) water. And really is it worth the rigmarole of claiming no insurance for just that (probably had an excess that I didn't take much notice of either).

So this is why I don't like to spend a lot on these types of articles. They get sat on, lost at sea, left on tables etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.