Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
We were in a similar position to you in Kardamena we went for a boat trip to little islands but it was rough and they couldn't handle the boat. We were petrified and when we stopped at the first island we all got off and went back by taxi. Of course we didn't get any money back but daren't go any further on that boat as it was lethal and the diesel fumes got down you.
Holidaymate have a "Duty of Care" when they book clients on trips. Did you book in resort with the rep or was it booked here in the UK as part of your holiday? The exact legal position is not clear as they will probably claim that a trip booked in resort, even via a rep is covered by "local legislation" and the rep works for a sister company. I would suggest you contact Citizens Advice or Trading Standards and ask their advice on this. If the trip was booked here in the UK then they are without legally liable as they have in fact sub contracted and are responsible for the safe delivery of services.

fwh
The trip was booked in Oludeniz through Holidaymate local office and from a PR point of view their response to our complaint was farcical. My post is intended to warn other people who might be intendinding booking with this company of our experience and at least they can then decide for themselves.
By contrast we booked a horse riding trip from a local trip organiser called Sky Sports. One of our party was thrown from his horse 20 minutes into the trip and as we had not been issued with helmets we had safety concerns about continuing the ride and called it off. On reporting the incident to Sky Sports they had no hesitation in refunding the money paid. Two different firms and two differing reactions.
When you first encountered the steep decent to the boat (knowing you may have to climb back up) did you voice your concerns to the operators? May you have been able to cancel your trip at this point and receive a refund.
I'm thinking maybe skysports gave you your money back as quickly as possible so that you didn't sue them for not issuing safety equipment! Also, I'm not being funny but it seems you went ahead with two excursions knowing they could both be harmful to yourselves and the others in your group! I'd have never got down to the boat and demanded a refund there and then!
As far as the boat cruise was concerned we applied the lesson we learned on that trip to quickly terminate the horse ride as soon as events went wrong there. I would add we had already completed a very successful horse ride with another company to Kaya Koy which was a more difficult ride and we were issued with helmets on that ride; As a result we did not anticipate encountering any problems on what was ostensibly an easier beach ride. However travellers to Turkey have to realise they do not have the same health and safety rules we are used to in the UK and refunds are nigh impossible to get. Hence the importance of sites such as this.
However travellers to Turkey have to realise they do not have the same health and safety rules we are used to in the UK

Not only Turkey but all countries. Whilst not belittling your own particular experience in any way we do tend to measure things against our own regulations, when they do not match up people complain. Perhaps they are justified although I am not the only person who feels we have gone to far at times. In your case the problem only became apparent when you went to board the boat which put you in a very difficult position. In Majorca a few weeks ago I saw two boats trying to offload/board passengers in condition that I personally considered unsafe, not only to the passengers but to the boat itself.
The TOs sell these trips but perhaps they should put a warning on the booking form. "Warning! Things are not always done in the manner people from the UK consider match the H&S regulations they are used to"

fwh
The TOs sell these trips but perhaps they should put a warning on the booking form. "Warning! Things are not always done in the manner people from the UK consider match the H&S regulations they are used to"

i think the OP organised this trip herself rather than through a Tour Operator and therefore a cautionary tail of picking the right excursion provider.
I think the comments have been very constructive and have aired a subject that is very prevalent on foreign holidays. If the discussion has done nothing else but made more people aware then it has been worthwhile.
I have been on the boat trips from Belcekiz beach, Olu Deniz and getting on and off is not for the faint hearted. My extremely fit and able bodied daughter landed flat on her face in the sea, minus flip flops. As O.A.P's they should have been advised how difficult it is.
I think there has been advice on here before that if you want an easy entry onto a boat when you stay in Olu Deniz it is best to book to go from Fethyie even though it is a bit of a pain to go into there first. As the entry onto the boats is a lot easier from there. The downside of booking a trip direct with a turkish company in resort is that you are not 100 percent sure what you will get. If you book via Thomson, Thomas cook etc they do try and find the best of the local operators as they do not want any comeback and they want you to recommend their trips/services to the people who turn up the following week. Although as we all know it will be more expensive. you pay your money and take your choice I guess.
We returned this morning on flight TCX2663 to Manchester from Dalaman, we stayed at Grove Hotel in Hisaronu.
My husband developed Sciatica (trapped nerve) in his leg on Saturday pm, and we were really worried how we were going to manage at the airport as he can hardly walk. I phoned Falcon Tourism and they said they would have a wheelchair waiting for us at Dalaman, and true to their word the rep met us off the mini bus and waited until it arrived.

We would just like you to pass on our grateful thanks to them and the way we were looked after at Dalaman, which was exceptional.

These days everyone is quick to complain when they receive bad service and thought it would be nice to receive a positive email for a change.

Once again many thanks, the Hotel (which we have stayed at efore) looked after us very well when this problem occurred and arranged a doctor visit, and then took us to the clinic for x ray etc.

Many thanks,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.