Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
I don't know what's going off in TV, but every morning when I look over there it has been swamped overnight by the spammers, some of them I can recognise their names from yonks ago, so whatever security measure are in place in TV, they obviously ain't working.
I've just had two e-mails informing me that I have comments left in my media, and when I go to look, it's just another comment from the spammers.

I don't understand why people are able to register and leave a comment without being a member of HT, surely if this facility was removed and people have to go through HT to leave a comment, then the spammers could be banned.?

I recently wrote a blog and when it was finally approved the software was playing up, and when I wanted to change the colour of the text to a nice shade of blue to be easier on the eyes, the software left some paragraphs still in black text, then I kept getting a message saying the website was running some type of script, and if I allowed it to continue my computer may fail to respond, so after wasting hours, I threw in the towel and deleted the blog, and rather than bin the whole idea, I hosted it on my own website instead.
How can we make Van or Alfie aware of the problems there please, especially as Alfie doesn't frequent the forums here on HT?

IMO: It's a ridiculous situation when you have part of the site being detached from the main board and nobody looking in this thread.....maybe it needs sorting before posters get tired of having no support. :wink:

Sanji
I'm surprised you are not on first name terms with some of those spammers by now, at least one of them has been a member for around a year ! Obviously no site is immune to spammers and here on the forums, various measures and procedures are used to try and prevent or minimise any disruption or frustration which they may cause to members. I don't know what measures or procedures are in place on .tv, because as you are obviously aware, the two sites are run independently of each other. But I do see the spam comments you refer to, some of them posted today and some of them 3 days ago, so perhaps Van & Alfie are not around on that site either at the moment to deal with them.

As for registration on .tv, my impression is that the Sign Up button is primarily or solely used by those spammers, while the Log In button is used by bona-fide members of the forums. That may support the case for removing the Sign Up button, but that obviously requires Van.

The lack of support for problems on .tv is a frustration which we on the forums are aware of and share, and I appreciate that it may inevitably result in users not supporting that site. I appreciate too that it probably wasn't me you wanted to hear from, but until someone else comes along, it's the best your going to get ! :wink
David :wave
I agree Sanji, if Van or Alfie don't look in this thread, what's the point in having it? Also something else needs to be done to sort out the spammers because Alfie's obviously having problems deleting their comments. I had a reply from Alfie with regards to some spamming I reported to him where he mentioned that he was aware of some comments being posted by spammers and that he was working on it. That was 13 days ago and the spammers advertisements still remain on one of Lassi's pictures :que
I stick by earlier thoughts that personally I preferred the old Holiday truths gallery- found it more user friendly, especially for posting and viewing photos.
I stick by earlier thoughts that personally I preferred the old Holiday truths gallery- found it more user friendly, especially for posting and viewing photos.

My personal view (in for a penny in for a pound) is that the media gallery is a vast improvement on the old photo galleries, and if we wanted to move forward and include videos (which posters were being encouraged to do), then we needed somewhere able to cope with the amount of data, because I can remember the late Allmen ( RIP) who was in charge of the old gallery, he used to pull his hair out every time I uploaded a video, because one video would take up the space of hundreds of photos and he was rapidly running out of space.

What's different is the fact that in the past we had someone in charge of the gallery, who was also very active on the board, and now it's become isolated because it's being run as a detached separate site, with no involvement in here by those running it.
I like the site and just watching the playback of a video is much better( in size) than the little playback frame in the old gallery, but it needs measures to get rid of the spammers and sorting out the few 'bugs' in the software....and someone in charge who is prepared to be part of the main board, even if they can't fix the techno side of things, they could at least have the courtesy to answer poster's queries.
There...I bet I'm not the flavour of the month anymore, but that's what frustration does to you.!

Sanji
I think you and I have made similar comments to the ones we've posted in this thread in the past Sanji and I do remember you mentioning that the media site is much more video friendly. I don't 'do' videos apart from enjoying looking at them :D which is why I say that I find it more photo friendly.

My reasons for saying this have been aired before by myself and others but mainly my comment is based on the fact that more people seemed to use the old photo gallery and any issues were smoothed out quickly because it was all classed as one site and the admin there read comments on the general forum.

I've noticed that I can count one one hand how many members post videos in the tv.media gallery (off pat, I can only think of nick and yourself but there are probably one or two others). Since somebody's gone to the trouble of creating the new site to improve the bandwidth for videos, it's a shame that more people don't use it for this purpose. Then again I'm not sure if any more used the old gallery :que
Since somebody's gone to the trouble of creating the new site to improve the bandwidth for videos, it's a shame that more people don't use it for this purpose

I recently tried adding a video of approx 3 minutes in length of our recent trip to Kenya just to be told it exceeded the permited size, between that and the hassle of uploading ONE picture at a time and lack of support it is no wonder it is under used :que
I recently tried adding a video of approx 3 minutes in length of our recent trip to Kenya just to be told it exceeded the permited size,

Graham
What was the size (format) of the video ? because it's says the limit is 100mb and I've just within the last hour uploaded quite quickly and without any problems, a video which is 50.6mbs in size and about 7 minutes in length.

Sanji
the hassle of uploading ONE picture at a time and lack of support it is no wonder it is under used

My sentiments entirely Graham- it's a shame because I enjoy uploading photos. I uploaded loads when we could do 5 at a time but this one at a time business is too much of a pain.
Hi Sanji

I just went and checked the size and was amazed, as it was filmed in HD it is over 300mb :yikes no wonder it was too big :whoops
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
Hi Sanji

I just went and checked the size and was amazed, as it was filmed in HD it is over 300mb :yikes no wonder it was to big :whoops

Hi Graham
Silly Billy ;)
I've sent you a pm.

Sanji
Spam Spam and more spam.
I deleted a couple of my photos earlier in the week because the spammers had left a lengthy message in the comments, and now there's just about every one of my latest media uploads to have the spammers writing in the comments section.
So the situation is that I spend hours making a video and chosing to upload it to HT, when I could upload it anywhere, and it ends up being a sitting target for the spammers and nobody seems to be bothered.?
I DON'T THINK SO.!

It's such a shame because (IMO) the idea of the media galleries remains a good idea with the different sections for uploading photos and videos, writing a blog and making albums ..... and with a few technical hiccups being sorted like the ability to upload more than one photo, the process of uploading being changed, the spammers locked out and posters having to go through HT to leave a comment, and most importantly having someone running the site who is part of the main board showing some interest, it could have been so much more used.

Personally speaking I think instead of fetching You T*be videos over to HT, the time would be better spent sorting out the media galleries which is losing support, and if I want to watch a video on YT, I'll go to YT....in fact, that's probably where you'll find my videos in the future.

Sanji
Personally speaking I think instead of fetching You T*be videos over to HT, the time would be better spent sorting out the media galleries which is losing support, and if I want to watch a video on YT, I'll go to YT......

Yep agree :tup
Having problems with Log in in the Media section. Will not allow access with my details. :(
Can someone please talk me through it .how do I view the Goa photos ... :cry I really miss the way the galleries used to be before the change I can say its been about a year from I have looked photos a thing I used to do everyday :cry Colleeen
Hi Colleen ... I can see 2 possible options, but I don't use that site so there may well be others that I don't know of.

From the main page at http://www.holidaytruths.tv you can click through on Media > Browse Media > Asia > India > Goa and this will lead you to http://www.holidaytruths.tv/c/113/Goa/ which you could then bookmark for future easy access.

A quicker option might be just to type Goa in the Search box in the top right hand corner of the main page and see what it produces.

David :wave
Thank you David Im in now I have bookmarked the Goa page thanks again for your help :cheers Colleen
Same here Shirley I cant find my way round the way it is now ....David bring back the way it used to be :rofl Colleen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.