Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi

It is in Zell Am See in Austria.

Thanks
Haven't been to that hotel - sorry, but we have been to Zell am See if we can help with any other information :)
Hi Oklahoma

Thanks for replying. Any info on the main town of Zell am See would be very gratefully received.

Are there many shops, restaurants, things to do in the town? Is it very noisy at night? This hotel is in the main pedestrianised area and as we are looking to take my father away with us, we do not want too much noise in the early hours.

What are the buses like for getting around to visit places? Did you visit anywhere either in Zell am See or further afield?

Many thanks for your help.
Hi Shaz4

We stayed in Zell am See a few years ago. You can see my review towards the bottom of this topic: http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44538

Any other questions - just ask, although bear in mind our trip was a while ago!
Hi
We went end of July 2005 so I don't know how things will have changed since then. We had glorious red hot weather apart from one hailstone storm which was spectacular.
The area is stunningly beautiful and picturesque! Zell is a smallish town but very pretty with lovely walks along the lakeside. We walked all the way round one day which took a long time and in the heat was difficult but you could walk half way round, get some refreshment and then a boat back. I can remember one supermarket, some cafes and shops in the town.
We found the town quite quiet at night, I think most of the entertainment is in the hotels but I think you can visit other hotels not just the one you are staying in. One night whilst we were there was completely different, I think there was a festival on and the town changed completely, it was heaving with street entertainment, food and drink available from street stalls and absolutely buzzing!! It was great for one night and I wouldn't have missed it - but not usually like that

I can't help with the buses because we hired a car and visited some wonderful places in the area and also walked a lot.

We stayed in the Seehotel Freiberg which is about 10 minutes walk from the centre of town along the lakeside. We liked it because it has a long grassy lake frontage with sunbeds and you can take a dip in the lake if you wish. This hotel didn't have entertainment though.

There were some must-see places for day trips.
My favourite by far was the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (High Alpine Road) which was a spectacular road with lots of information stops/cafes along the way and the glacier there with wonderful views over it from the cafe. We took the hire car there but there were many tour and excursion buses there also. I think it is only open in the summer though. This is a toll road and I believe was built specially for tourists to see the scenery.
http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hochalpenstrasse/

Another great place to visit nearby are the Kaprun Dams and Reservoirs. A bus takes you from the bottom up through tunnels and great scenery to the dams where you can walk, or picnic and then get a bus back down as there are quite a few throughout the day.
http://www.rauriserhof.at/en-kaprun.htm

The cable car up the Schmittenhohe mountain is a great way to see the local scenery. It's quite a long walk but pleasant from the town to the cable car but there will be buses. Another great day out.

One other day trip that I can remember was to the Krimml (or Krimmler) waterfall which was spectacular with walks up to the top (if you can manage it!!)

We did an evening boat trip on the lake with an accordion player entertaining us and an evening lantern walk down a nearby mountain (easy road walk) after a coach trip to a restaurant near the top.

We were only there for a week but packed such a lot in, loved the town and area!!
I missed this earlier!

The main town website is http://www.zellamsee.at/ but the English section has gone missing. If you don't speak German just click on Bildergallerie for some pictures.

Are you going in winter or summer? There are a few places that stay open late so odd outbreaks of revellers making their way back to their beds is possible but there shouldn't be any partying in the street. But in summer it will be quieter.

The Grossglockner road beyond Ferleiten is very closed in winter - by now there will 2 or 3 metres of snow piled on it! I had posted some photos of a bus trip on the old gallery but that seems to have been deleted. If you go in summer it's got to be first on your list of trips - but only if the forecast is good. The service only runs from mid June to late September and leaves Zell bus station at about 09:30 - you want to get to Franz Josefs Höhe

Local buses are run by Postbus which, as the name fails to suggest, is a division of the state railways! The narrow gauge railway towards Krimml is run by a local company owned by Salzburg county.

Bus timetables are at http://www.oebb.at/en/Timetable/OeBB-Postbus_lines/index.jsp?search=true&land=SALZBURG&fahrplanabfrage=zell+am+see . An interesting day would be by bus to Salzburg via the Lofer Pass and Bad Reichenhall (at just before 09:00) but if you're flying into Salzburg on a package this is probably the route they will bring you anyway. Trains to Salzburg are more frequent and go a different way, the railway timetable is at http://www.oebb.at/de/Fahrplanauskunft/Aktuelles_Kursbuch/Detail_200/kif200_11.pdf
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.