Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi!

Been to both resorts and overall I prefer Icmeler as it is a bit more suited to me, I often wish you could however transplant the beautiful sandy beaches of Altinkum to Icmeler then it would be truely paradise! Altinkum is I think a bit more brash than Icmeler and based on my 3 trips there is largely visited by people from UK and Ireland. My better half says that Icmeler is much more scenic and picturesque than Altinkum and has a charm all of its own. I would guess that there is much more in the way of night-life in Altinkum,I guess you decide on your holiday priorities. Just recalled that my son was 16 on our first visit to Altinkum, he is now 30! Where did the time go!LOL! Incidentally he prefers Altinkum!

Alistair
Hi Jen,
We did exactly the same thing when we first did turkey, Icmeler 1st then somewhere different, you guessed it, Altinkum, and to be honest it was a real let down after Icmeler, It may well have changed since then, and so before you all start on me, I'm sorry if my post offends,
I know there are a lot of people out there that love the place, and return there year after year, and this is just my personal opinion, we did not, we were both ill for a fortnight, ( never happened before or since may i add ) and had Altinkum been the first place we visited in turkey I can assure you it would have been our last trip there, I just thank god we dropped on Icmeler for our 1st visit.
b.t.w. expect temperature in August to be just below boiling point.

:wink: Kev :wink:
Hi

Altinkum is VERY different to Icmeler

My first visit to Turkey was to Marmaris where I thought the mountains and hills were lovely and I feel head over heels in love with Turkey

While in Marmaris I visited Icmeler and thought it was gorgeous and would definateiy book there but instead last year I took my family to Altinkum and when I got there I expected the greenery of Marmaris and Icmelerbut Altinkum is very flat and not very green at all and they are building EVERYWHERE !! The council ensures all actual building work stops in main season so you don't have noise.

I was thinking oh my god why did I book here ?!?!?

Once i was used to not seeing pretty hills etc the place was great. It is a developing resort and very english. The people are fantastic and its the cheapest (last year) resort in Turkey. 2 course meal for 2 adults and 2 teens with at least 3 drinks each = £30

The beaches (3 of them) are gorgeous and the sea is perfect for kids as stays shallow for ages.

Dolphin Square is the centre of Alkintum where the shops and restaurants are. Its very busy but not loud and of course you get hassle but nothing like Marmaris.

Altinkum has a water park for the kids or you can book a trip to the one in Kusadasi which is bigger and about an hour away.

We found it alot cheaper to book a private apartment which you can find on holiday lettings and owners direct websites. We had a fantastic sea view and was in a quiet location but could use all facilities of the Esra Hotel across the road.

It was VERY hot last July and the temperature increased by the day but you do get alot of breeze from the sea

Also when in Altinkum we had no power cuts or freezing cold water

If you do go to Altinkum, go to the Grand Restaurant as they are absolutely fantastic in there, especially Fabio

Hope this helps
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.