Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
hi stu... :wave ...yes i would think that would be enough,.if you can try and drink in the bars out side of the hotels then you would save a fair amount of money also any trips you want to do try and book them with other than your tour company and save even more.........regards..john-doe
Hi There,

We came back a fortnight ago 2 adults,11yr old and we spent less than that,We also did trips but independently which works out loads cheaper,just make sure you negogiate a price with the taxi driver beforehand,we visited carthage,sisi bou said and Tunis for less than £35 for all of us!!!!!!!
We went AI so that helped alot but it is really cheap to eat out in Tunisia.#

Hope that helps

Doreen
Yo Mate..

Me (24) and my Girlfriend (21) are going in Sept.

We are looking to take about £600 for two weeks, so let me know how you get on.

I can't wait to go, heard loads of mixed reviews, but as per this forum everyone seems to enjoy Tunisia and all it has to offer.

Safe Journey !! Have a good holiday !!!

P.s. Pot Noodles = 2 for £1 at Asda (but students normally know this :P )
We are taking £200 cash and atm cards if we need more but as we're going AI and plan on spending most of our week relaxing or in the sea i doubt we'll need more and thats for a family of 5.
hi again to all... :wave ...do not forget if you like to drink shorts ,.gin,whisky rum e.t.c to buy at your depature airport or your arrival airport,.buying shorts in tunisia is very expensive.regards and enjoy your holidays...john-doe...
Thanks for all the tips; yeh we'll prob be on the beach most of the time and we are going half board, so I reckon we'll be ok with 300. Im bringin my visa card just incase.

Hopefully the beer is cheap :D
Bring on sunday

Cheers.
I'm going all inclusive and want to do the sahara trip. how much do you think I would need.

I know its a difficult question as everyone spends differently, so just a rough idea would be a great help.
I always take about £200 cash as thats usually what you are covered for on your insurance, and take your card as backup just incase you run short. I always buy my duty free and pay for any trips on my card and then still have the cash for bits and pieces. If your going AI then i,m sure it will be plenty and also it,s very cheap in Tunisia. :wink: I suppose it all depends on how long your going for and how many of you are travelling and what you intend on buying once there.
We're heading on sunday - whats the process of exchanging our money.

We need travellers cheques eh (from post office? will need to go in lunch tday)

Then we just bring them to tunisia, and exchange them in hotel?
Like deb2 If I'm going for a week I take £200 cash when going HB - never done AI - and take a card for back-up and any excursions. I don't bother with Travellers' cheques for that sort of amount - I don't think it's worth the hassle. The rate of exchange is standard wherever you go so it's easy to change money at all the hotels.

SM
We go for 2 weeks . usually take £500 with us , which is sometimes to much. think last year on the last ew days we had about £200 left , this was for 2 adults and a 9 year old boy ...
Never bother with travellers cheques as you usually end up paying again to exchange them. I only take the cash and change up as and when you need to. Quite straight forward, just say how much you would like to change up and they will give you the equivalent back in Tunisian Dinars. Same if you use a ATM machine with your card, and there are plenty about. Just change up a little at a time though as you cannot bring any dinars back home with you as it is a closed currency in Tunisia. :)
Just back from Hammamet on H/B, myself and my partner. We took £500 in Travellers cheques (if you have any left over pay them into your bank account, it costs nothing) we also took £60 sterling and our switch cards (which you cant use in duty free by the way, they have to say Visa on them) The exchange rate has went up since last time we were there it's about 2.38 dinar now for £1. We cashed £100 in our first week and that got us lunch and drinks at night as we were only chilling out the first week. The second week we used up the rest but we did do a lot more on the second week, buying alot of stuff from the medinas and having a fabulous dinner at a restaurant called Barberouse (Recommended) at the Old Fort in Hammamet, so you have more than enough for a chillout Holiday...Enjoy.

edit: Just realised the OP is already away. Oh well....
I was in Hammamet for a week 25 June-1st July and then in PEK for another week 1st July-9th July.

Still not sure how much have we spent (2 adults) as my OH developed some obsession with jet ski, quads,paragliding and done all a few times :roll:

I got very friendly with "a few" coctails that I have not tried before.

We have not done any trips as I have done them all (got all t-shirts LOL) before any did not fancy them again and OH did not want to go on his own.

I just remember one meal at Sidi Slim took as back about 90 dinars but what an experience :lol:

We were on HB in both Bel Air (Hammamet) and Kanta (PEK) but overslept a few breakfast times (especially after staying till God knows what time in British Bar opposite Bell Air) and skipped a few dinners prefering to go out to eat something more Tunisian than the hotel food.

Generally we drunk local stuff (my favourite Tibarine and coke and OH attached to Celtia), had lunch at the beach about 20 DT for 2 (with a plate of fresh fruits and drinks of course) and did not count the money while there.

Realistically, 300-400 should be more than enough for a week for 2 people. You are ok to take cash with you just remember to only change for dinnars as you need them, even on the daily basis as later on you can only change a little bit back and changing back into sterling will cost you 30% in comission.

Also, remember the tips - 1 or 2 dinnar seems to be a norm for the maids/waiters etc. They are on average 10 dinnar a day wage so whatever they get in tips is always appreaciated.. and shown for example by flower petals all over your bed/room floor when you get back from the beach or an extra roll of toilet paper ;)
Enjoy..... I only got back this Sunday and miss the place alreadyyyyyyyyy

:cry:
Opssssssssssssss- too late, they are gone.

They must have got on the same plane I got off last Sunday LOL

Old Fort in Hammamet? Wawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, fantastic "cafe" just there, staring into the darkness while sipping coffee and munching on chocolate pankakes, what a bliss :)
Let us know when you get back - hope you are having a great time :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.