Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I am so excited!
24 Posts
I head back out to Turkey in 11 weeks but I am going else where before then. I always get really excited before go and get all the beauty treatments in. I also always make a cd for the car for the drive to airport to get in the mood!
12 weeks today... :sun2

clothes are just about all bought...mainly reusing stuff from last year as it wasn't worn much in this country...but did find a house of fraser outlet store yesterday and got a ted baker bikini for less than I paid for a matalan one!!

the kids are counting down the days...84 days and we will have been in the air for 20 minutes

the hand luggage is already packed...i never bothered unpacking

suncream is bought as found it bogof at 50p a bottle (ambra solaire clear stuff)

kennels for the dog are booked and paid for, just need to get the kennel cough vaccine done

and daughters on the garlic tablets in a bid to try and stop her getting bitten this year.

And have I mentioned I'm excited?? :rofl :tongue
Ooo what's that about the garlic tablets? Mozzies LOVE me and I always get bitten loads.
Buy the local insect repellent,Sinkov when you get there,available at most shops and supermarkets.
Its £1 a spray bottle but the aerosol is dearer.
Its the only thing that keep the mozzies away from me and I havent been bitten since using it.
I watched a programme on the Travel Channel where they did a controlled experiment with mosquitoes.
One group had taken vitamin B tablet,the other garlic tablets.Others had sprayed with an insect repellent and the other group had used lemon or lavender oil.
The only group not to be bitten were the ones using the insect repellent.
The ones using the essential oil had a few bites but the other 2 groups had many bites!
i took vitamin b tablets 2 weeks before i went away and each day i was there and did not get bitten once, took other precautions also, lemon grass in my suntan lotion and aftersun
My daughter has never had a problem with getting bitten anywhere, even without insect repellant, but all three trips to turkey and she has...with loads of insect repellant on. This is by insects (not sure what) and fish. All bites have also become severely infected, last july she was struggling to walk after an insect bite, we had to half carry her up to the chemist (the creams are brilliant out there though).

She also got bitten in wales, which got slightly infected, although not as bad.

Anyway, we went to the doctors here, there is no reason why all of a sudden they are attracted to her (none of us get bitten), or why they get so infected. She said try garlic tablets for 3 months before we go. Apparently it is an old remedy which is also used to stop dogs getting fleas (daughter was impressed when we told her that :rofl ). Got no clue if it will work, but the tub of 60 one a day tablets cost less than a pound, so its worth a try. No insect repellant we have tried works, including ones bought in turkey and uk.....may not be the case for everyone. Will let people know if she gets bitten again. (and the tablets are odourless too, which is something she was worried about - garlic breath isn't attractive)

So fingers crossed this works...we will also continue to use insect repellants on all of us. Not saying repellant doesn't work, but it doesn't for her.
I find it strange how some people get bitten and others dont.
It was rumoured it had something to do with your blood group :que
I am the only one that gets bitten in our family despite us all having the same blood group.
I have just ordered 3 bottles of Avon SSS to use here as I have been bitten here and even had a blooming tick and its children in my leg. :yikes
i use the avon SSS stuff too x its only the woodland fresh one that works x none of us have ever got bitten when we have taken that x

forgot year before last and we all got attacked - so in my mind it works lol!!!
i can also recommend the avon sss soft and fresh ( thats the new name from woodland fresh ), didn't take it to Tunisia in October and got bit had to go the pharmacy and buy creams . Its on offer at the moment at £2.50 .
Take a jar of marmite with you - mosquitos hate it, I love it!!
Works a treat. :D
Do you eat it, or smear it all over huge*abba*fan? :D
I can't seem to find SSS Soft & Fresh on the Avon website? Amazon have it at a fiver a bottle. Can i just not see it on Avon? Which is it exactly, the dry oil one? Thanks
hunter.england wrote:
I can't seem to find SSS Soft & Fresh on the Avon website? Amazon have it at a fiver a bottle. Can i just not see it on Avon? Which is it exactly, the dry oil one? Thanks

That's because they've recently changed the name and packaging - it's now called Skin So Soft ORIGINAL and it's the dry oil body spray you want.
we go to concorde deluxe and spa lara beach, 7 wks on thursday we really cant wait, going girly shopping on saturday for it, i`ve lost 2 stone so far and havent had anything new for ages. bring it on :cheers
hunter.england .avon are still doing the SSS dry oil spray which has been recomended on here . you have to make sure you order the soft and fresh which is in a green bottle , there is a pink one but i dont think that works aswell . its on offer at the moment for £2.50 .
Llindy, they've just changed the packaging and the name - it's in a mainly white bottle now with just the bluey/green bit in the middle and it's definitely called Skin So Soft Original now, no longer soft and fresh.
thanks for that blondiescot ............ i am waiting for this brochures delivery and i'm sure i still put soft and fresh code rather than the pink one .......... still have a bottle from an earlier brochure . i did try looking on the web page for an item number
Thanks everyone, i've found it on the website now.
Two weeks tomorrow! Woohoo!

I went and got our suncream and insect repellant yesterday. Clothes shopping next week.

Cannot WAIT!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.