Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
India on TV
52 Posts
It was actually on UK Food

:D :D :D
and for the Pork Vindaloo does Gary Rhodes know about pig toilets :rofl :rofl :rofl
Sorry but I found Gary boring , the Floyds India series IMO was much better. But it did bring back happy, and very messy memories of eating a crab cooked in a similar way at Zeebops.

jock! where can I find one of those pig toilets ? I know it's off topic so best send a pm
Thanks lassi
Well having watched the first episode of Gary Rhodes I had high expectations of the visit to Goa, but what a disappointment - was it me but those recipes did not conjure Goa at all!
Sorry but I found Gary boring , the Floyds India series IMO was much better.

Agree lassi, always questioning the amount of chilli, garlic, ginger etc to put into the dish, if he was there to learn about Indian cooking, why question the expert Indian chefs he was supposed to be learning from :roll: Floyd on the other hand is, well, he's just Floyd :D 3 chefs I love watching are, Floyd, Stein and Anthony Bourdain, the last just being my favourite. Bit off topic :wink:
Anyone see Sanjeev last night? 3rd programme of 4 - such a shame it will soon end, have really enjoyed it and hope it's repeated.

Seeing everyone enjoying the "HOLI" celebrations reminded me of being there in March! Going in November this year so looking forward to "DIVALI" instead - just hope we can blag an invite to our friends place in Pernem to join in the fun.........Can't wait :D
Last night's episode was quite good, particularly the street scenes of calcutta, although I was hoping to get a good glimpse of the Howrah bridge from the Hoogly Sethu (sp?) bridge. Calcutta has a special place in my heart as I was born near Calcutta...but now its Goa...::))
The whole series of programmes have been excellent. Anyoen know if Sanjeev is headed to Goa at all?
Haven't heard, but if he is let me know - I'll buy the man a drink :lol: What was that domed building in Calcutta called again (I was at work watching it and got distracted briefly)? AJ, have you been back there? I have a friend who was born there but I don't think he has returned in 45 years - he hopes to do so either 07 or 08 to show his wife where he was brought up etc., I'm sure it will be a memorable journey for both of them and i would love to be a "fly on the wall" - not because i'm nosey you understand but because I'd love to share in the emotion of it. (Softy me) :roll: He was very poorly last year and didn't think he'd survive so I am so happy for him that he will get the chance to return to his roots.
Never been to Goa (or India) before but after watching the programmes about India....I can't wait! (what a stupid saying that is!!)

I realise that Goa is different but nevertheless similar to India but the culture difference will be sooooo different to that I am used to and that will make Goa brilliant.
G. Rhodes is being an absolut a""""""""e in his Rhodes around India - he should watch and listen instead of butting in all the time - he is boring.
I have the Sanjeev series on disc but at the moment I am not at home so I will look and find the answer to the name of the domed building in Calcutta. Will post tomorrow - fizzy
We also have on disc the couple who went to Goa to open the Peacock Pub in Candolim and Jo and Trevor who opened the Ponderosa Guest House - any questioned answered. :lol:
I have never screamed at the tv as much as I did watching Gary Rhodes in India. He was a condescending **** and why did he think he was so much better than the Indian chefs?? The episode with the shami kebabi things almost made me lose it completely!
How did he think he was going to come across in this programme?? ...he probably thought there was nobody in the UK who knew any difference??
How slow did he put the ingredients in the pans....absolute k**b head, and it takes a lot to make me swear :shock:
a very goodnight to you all
Michelle :D :? 8)
i loved those programmes about the ponderosa in Candolim and the one about the Peacock pub - just wish they would repeat them
G. Rhodes is being an absolut a""""""""e in his Rhodes around India - he should watch and listen instead of butting in all the time - he is boring.

TMH, couldn't agree more :evil: These are people who have been doing this for so long but still he has to even question the amount of spices etc to put in :roll: The series would have been much better if they had used Anthony Bourdain doing it instead of the know all jumped up p***k they chose :roll:

He was a condescending ****

Yea, sure was, class 1 **** :lol:

How slow did he put the ingredients in the pans....absolute k**b head

As I said above, the thing that really got me was questioning the Indian chefs all the time about how much to put in, at the start of the programme he says he knows nothing about Indian cooking and looking forward to learning and then he tells them how much he thinks should be put in :roll: What was the other thing at the start, oh yea, "wish me luck", well Mr Rhodes, it was a bloody good job I wasn't making the vindaloo you had in Goa, you would have been sat on the pan for the next week :wink: :lol: :lol:
:omg :yikes Tony please dont ever ask us round to your house for a curry :rofl
Tony please dont ever ask us round to your house for a curry

Gem, your welcome anytime, like mine hot :wink: I aint suppling the honeybee though :rofl
fizzy2 - Are you talking about the Victoria Memorial building that is near Maidan (similar to the Hyde Park in London). Although I was born near Calcutta (near the banks of the River Ganges in Hooghly) and Dos Bosco Church, I lived in the south of India most of my life - but I do visit Calcutta every few years and the last time was two years back and the city has not changed a bit and some of the streets like Park Street and Esplanade look very much like the Raj days (Calcutta was the capital of India at one time) although the New Calcutta (Salt Lake City) is something else with modern buildings, malls and IT companies etc. Some people say that if you paint Calcutta and clean the streets, it would look like London ::) A good movie to watch the street life of Calutta is "The City of Joy" based on a novel.
AJ - It was the white colored domed building, just caught it out the corner of my eye as got distracted. Sound like the one you said I remember something mentioned about similarity to a building in London. Sorry I wasn't paying attention :oops: :roll: You never know we may get there one day, Calcutta certainly appeals because of it's architecture. thanks for the info.
Yeah, its Vicroria Memorial Hall. Here's the official website:

http://www.victoriamemorial-cal.org/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.