Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I have often been charged a deposit in Shoppers Mellieha, not knowing that you can return them for a refund, but I will now return the bottles.

Mark&Nicky, don't know if you have heard this story:
Two friends Joe a compulsive drinker and Charlie a compulsive bragger met after not seeing eachother for a few years.
Charlie: "How's things Joe?"
Joe:"You know me bottle of wine with breakfast, another with lunch, another with dinner, and yourself?"
Charlie:"Just started a well paid job, been on a cruise, bought a new apartment."
Joe:" That's nice"

Year later they meet again.
Charlie:"How's thing's Joe?"
Joe: " OK. two bottles of wine with breakfast, two with lunch, two with dinner, yourself?"
Charlie:" Just got a promotion, bought a weekend place in Gozo, like my new designer watch?"
Joe:"love it"

Year later they met opposite Shoppers in Mellieha.
Charlie: "Hi Joe, still on the drink?"
Joe: " More than ever"
Charlie: "Can I offer you a lift in my new £30,000 sports car?"
Joe, pointing to one of the largest villas on Santa Maria Estate: " Sure, can you drop me at that villa down there?"
Charlie: "That large villa with the huge pool and palm trees?"
Joe:"Yes, that's mine"
Charlie: :shock: "How come?"
Joe:"I took my empties back."
Hi folks and thanks for your reply's yes Sliema2 your right about the cruellty (and the overweight driver) and if we ever do visit Malta again we will avoide these people not just because they are indeed a "rip off" but because off the ill treatment.
You will note I say if as this year we have spoken to many people living there (not just Brits) but from a lot of other countries as well who say that the Maltese being nice to tourists is all an act one guy told us "they dont see the people only the money" in other words the tourist is a mug . I personally prefer a person who is genuine than one putting on an act to get my money when on hols we spend anyway so be yourself!!!!! :x
if you want genuineness, come to Gozo !!
Hi maryandebs, realistically you could say that about anyhwere in the world or indeed anyone who relies on income generation from customers to earn a living, including the bloke that runs the newsagent or butchers on your local hight street, in general we find the people of Malta to be very kind, very hospitable, and very welcoming, we have some Maltese friends who we are very proud to be friends with.

Ciao for now
Sliema2
Hi there Sliema 2, yep you are right it could be said about anywhere , however speaking personally I still prefer a true person (warts an all) A smiling face and a pretence of being interested when it's just an act I find very insulting, much better just sell the item take the money and thats it, if there is really no intrest in the person in general
I've found 99% of people doing business in bars, restaurants, shops etc in Malta to be perfectly honest & courteous. Sure there will be exceptions but there are fewer in Malta than elsewhere I've been in Europe.

I can't beleive that some people here are complaining that the Maltese have accents when they sing in English :roll: You'd have an accent if you tried to sing a Maltese song!

Why don't you be courteous yourselves and learn some Maltese, I think the locals would be very appreciative. It's the same with many Brits in France, Spain or wherever, if it isn't a sunny version of what they get at home in UK and the locals don't speak English they rubbish the country. I live in Germany and it's the same there. I've met so many Brits who have been there for months or years thru work and they don't speak a word of German! They only go out to Irish pubs because it's the nearest thing to a British pub abroad! It's very pathetic.

I'm a Brit and find all the "it's not like home" attitude very sad. Unfortunately, visitors to Malta from many other countries such as Germany, Netherlands, France etc are interested in seeing the islands and the culture. They don't just come and want "entertainment" in their hotel and sit by a pool. They don't just go to the nearest "Irish" or "British" pub.
Try the local cafes and Bars, much more continental, full of interesting people not ONLY from the UK.

The good news is that all of these out dated places are slowly but surely dissapearing and the country is returning to being part of true continental Europe.

Make an effort with a bit of the language and don't expect everyone to speak English all the time, it's not the UK! :twisted:
Here here openminded surley the reason we all love malta is because it's differant the way of life and culture is so differant i've been going there for over 30 years, i was stationed there at R. A. F. luqa and fell in love with the island and have been going back ever since. I love to get of the tourist trail and explore the real Malta, go too the villages where they never see a tourist eat and drink in the local bars chat with the natives i have a great time and they allways make you welcome. i was admiring a house in a little village and the owner came out and invited us in for a drink, would that happen in the u.k. i think not. I hpoe to be traveling too Malta for many years to come it is far better there than in the U.K.

alan
Hi openminded and happychef, I fully agree with all you have both said, british holiday makers in general don't integrate with the locals, and as for speaking the local language the british are some of the worst at this, they always expect everyone to speak english, not me though I have endevoured to learn as much Maltese as I can, I can also speak enough French, Greek, German and Italian to get by.

Sliema2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.