EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Interest rates
6 Posts
Best to keep your money in sterling and invest it offshore.
Maybe you could look at internet banking? The rates at the moment you can achieve are around 5% and you can have instant access.

Or why not take a trip to Gibraltar and invest there in a good bank? If you get good rates in your UK bank, could you not keep this account open? You never know when you need a UK account, although the interest will still be the best via the internet.
I agree with the other replies, interest rates on savings in Spain seem to be a non-starter!!!! I have kept my UK bank account, and have an e-savings account with them too, which gives a good rate, and instant access on line. I can then transfer money between the two if I need to. I have an ordinary current account here in Spain.
thanks for the tips.
I still have my bank account in the uk, but some higher interest accounts such as ING and Cahoot do not allow accounts if not resident in the uk. I am still looking though.
Like the other posts I would suggest you keep a UK account that will give you the highest interest as possible and that has internet access so you have control over it, then when you come to Spain open a normal current account again making sure it has internet banking for you every day use.

If you do the above you will then be able to transfer money from the UK to Spain via one of these companies FREE of charge.
http://www.currenciesdirect.com/
http://www.hifx.co.uk/

The interest rates here are not very good at all so better to stay where you are if possible or as already stated go offshore.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.