Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Internet
12 Posts
Not quite the answer you're looking for but our hotel last year had 2 computers with free internet.Usually a hit or a miss getting on mind you,kids hogging it downloading music to mp3 players etc even though under 18's weren't supposed to be using it(depended who was on the desk at the time).Maybe more hotels are going down this route now so it might not be that expensive in the internet cafe's if they know tourists can get it free in their accomodation.
I don't think the municipal libraries in cyprus have internet access open to the public.

Expect to pay around €2 to €2.50 per hour. Well, that's what I was paying last year. ( In CY£, obviously.) The places I go are frequented by locals and tourists alike.
The segafredo coffee shop in Paphos has free wifi connection if you take your own laptop.

Other bars and cafes have too but it depends on which area you will be in.

Viv
Just to put you in our dire situation regarding Internet/broadband connection it is slow here I pay for a 'meg' over €64 a month, and we never get close to one meg, so expect to pay for the privilege on the Internet here, it is poor to the extreme and slow.. but hey the sun shines a lot!! :que
Jim, if you've got a long broadband cable, and I mean a really long cable, you can connect to mine for free. I like helping out "poor pensioners".
But in return, I want some of your sunshine.

Take care and thanks for getting me the info on the apartments, much appreciated. Lots of good info on your site, especially the harbour update.

Robby :wink:
I'm in Northern Cyprus right now and found an internet cafe charging 1,50 YTL (60p) an hour, much cheaper than in
the southern part. The address is: GMS Ticaret, Vafıklar ÇarŞısı No 17, Girne/Kyrenia just in case you should pass by.
:sun2
The internet cafes are reasonable cheap and have a fast connection. Avoid those in hotels, they cost a fortune and are very slow.
Not sure why you thought Internet cafes fast, as the max you can get on the island is about 800kbps, less usually, this cost's us living here a massive £40 plus a month (sterling) must be the most expensive broadband service here in the world, Cyta also have a slow poor service, when trouble arrives they always blame the customer, roll on a totally independent service on the island..
Hi Jim.

It's possible that internet cafes are on a business service with a lower contention ratio, i.e. potentially less people trying to use one 'pipe', giving a seemingly faster connection.
I bet your on a 50 to 1 contention, whereas most business services (in the UK at any rate) are 20 to 1.

I use Marcos in Pissouri, Maroushia 2 in Kato Paphos and a place in Oroklini whose name I can't remember. All seem to give reasonable speed. Coming from someone used to 5 to 6 mbps broadband, that can't be bad.

Mark
This maybe the case, BUT I have tried several Internet cafes personally here in town, and all were very slow compared to the UK service, Cyprus has a very poor reputation for computer services, and Cyta are our only provider, this is the root of the problem..maybe the future a totally independent provider will be allowed to operate here and give Cyta a hefty thump up the backside, not only is it very slow the internet here but also vastly over priced! but as I pointed out we do have plenty of sun to compensate a little... :wave:
a p.s on this topic, I have just tried 'netway' instead of I-choice and that seems to run faster (812kbps) but always remembering it as all do here use Cyta's computers for connections...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.