Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Did FC offer any alternatives in the letter? It sounds a bit odd that they would just write and tell you about the work and leave it at that - it's just asking for trouble.
No, they didn't offer us any alternatives. The letter said that they would be happy to discuss the matter further and we were given a contact phone number or advised to see our travel agent with whom we booked - this striked us as being a bit odd too.
Be very careful what you say! Let them persuade you to move or you could be hit with amendment or cancellation charges. Be wary if they suggest you stay and have some compensation vouchers - you will be accepting the problem and the vouchers won't be any use if you don't book another holiday. Personally I'd be pushing for a full refund and let them negotiate down to a different acceptable holiday.
.... forgot to say, unless they have fully primed the agent you might be better off using the direct phone number as they will have more authority to do free alterations.
You didn't say which hotel it is that your booked into
i do know for sure that there is renovation work being carried out at the Royal Kenz
people i know have just returned from there this week .
I'm sure this is classed as a major factor in your booking.

From ABTA's code of conduct:-

I've just been told that building work's taking place. What are ABTA's rules on this?

There'll always be minor refurbishment and maintenance work being carried out at properties and most of this won't affect your holiday. There's no requirement under the ABTA Code of Conduct for Members to notify clients of works like these.

However, where the works are likely to seriously impair your enjoyment of the holiday, your ABTA travel company should tell you about them before you book the holiday - provided the company knows about the works. They should provide you with accurate information about the building works, so that you can decide whether or not to continue with the booking.

If you've already booked your holiday and your ABTA travel company then becomes aware of building works that may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, they must, without delay, notify you of the situation and offer you the opportunity to transfer to alternative accommodation. Where the alternative constitutes a significant change to your booking, they should offer you the option of cancelling without penalty, or transferring to an alternative holiday, if available.
when are you actually going , as the building or renovations may be finished by then , but i would
still talk with First Choice and see what your options are .
ok the normal options seem to be something like.

A full refund
Alternate accomodation that YOU agree to.

Usually they end up trying to move you and say it's an extra £200 or so. Basically you then have the alternative of paying or getting a refund.

problems usually arise when the original booking has a free child place and all new bookings don't!
We are going to the Royal Kenz on the 5th of April for one week. We've been following the review sites since we booked it but the more recent reviews do not look promising!
This seems to be your legal standing:-

If you've already booked your holiday and your ABTA travel company then becomes aware of building works that may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, they must, without delay, notify you of the situation and offer you the opportunity to transfer to alternative accommodation. Where the alternative constitutes a significant change to your booking, they should offer you the option of cancelling without penalty, or transferring to an alternative holiday, if available.
Just to let you know that we have changed our holiday (now going to Tenerife). There was a slight difference in cost (but that was our choice) and the admin fees were waived. Thank you to those that replied.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.