Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Is it safe?
16 Posts
Hey Presto,

Sorry I couldn't resist it! You will love the Movenpick Hotel in Luxor, it has a fabulous reputation but you should be aware that it is a little way out of town.

Health issues are not really a concern, your GP nurse will tell you the injections that are recommended, but there is nothing unusual. You probably have most of them already. The most common "illness" you may experience is travellers tummy which is usually due to one's own carelessness regarding sun and lack of liquid intake (or the opposite in relation to alcohol).

As far as your personal safety is concerned, there are a lot of us on this forum who go to Egypt on every opportunity. We will all tell you the same thing. You are as safe in Egypt as you would be in the majority of places in this world. Security is taken very seriously by the Egyptians as they value their tourists very highly. You will find absolutely no problem in relaxing on your holiday but you may find it hard to leave at the end of it!

I'm sure that any other questions you may have will be answered very quickly and accurately by the members of this forum.
Hi carrot -

Will let you off the Hey Presto - it is Panto season! :lol:

Thanks for the info - to be honest we usually go to Cyprus mid August and have managed to avoid travellers tummy after the first year --- its pretty hot in Cyprus and I think we are now much more careful about what we eat and how much water and salt we take while there! I imagine that Egypt is the same if even hotter! :yikes

Re the hotel - for the 2nd week am happy to be out of the way and on an island - feel that we could be safe and relax there --- the heat worries me abit though --- last time we were in Pafos our thermometer went over 50 in the sun and we were able to walk miles as there was a nice sea breeze. Is there any breeze in Luxor? I suppose we could get used to being in our room in the afternoon if need be if it was a nice room -

Thanks again for your help - have been with HT now for quite a while so know that other members will be able to give me even more tips --- hint hint

Us 'Hey Prestos'!

:wink:
Presto, there is quite often a breeze in Luxor. The trouble is, it is usually, especially in august, like a hot hair dryer! But then you have the hotel pool, the aircon and, at the Movenpick, some delightful gardens to wander through. Failing that, a nice felucca trip on the river should cool you down nicely.
What's it like earlier in the day and later in the afternoon - we can cope with Cyprus mid August and have walked miles mid day so aren't too worried about the heat -----------

I suppose if we know what we're going to then we can't complain about it being too hot eh!!!!

I've always loved the early mornings in Luxor, the light and the river are truly magical around sunrise. Evenings are very warm, just like a hundred holiday destinations you could mention. The big difference........they are not Egypt!
Cheers --- must admit, when we went on a 2 day cruise to Egypt from Paphos I felt like crying when I finally got there ------ have always wanted to visit Israel / Egypt and adore the history etc etc -----
the one thing that put us off was the constant haggling but we are thinking that if we are on a cruise boat / quiet hotel we will be able to escape that!

Must admit, we only did a day and it was simply magical - an experience never to be forgotten ----------

Ohhhh - getting excited

It will be very hot but there is little or no humidity here in Luxor so the heat is easier to cope with than some other hot holiday destinations. Do any sightseeing early in the morning & back to hotel before noon. The Movenpick is a great hotel with a 2 pools, one a fantastic infinity pool that appears to flow directly into the Nile. It also has a pool just for kids.

Read up on the "hassle" as it does worry some people. A polite but firm no thank you, [la shukran] usually works but you may have to say it a few times!!!

I have lived in Luxor for over 18 months now & I feel much safer here than I would in any major city in the UK or Europe. Hope you fall in love with Luxor as I & many others have done.
Thank you for that - how do you think it compares to Cyprus mid August?
Re the hassle - we know - it drove me nuts on a day visit but our idea is to do a nile cruise for week one and then crash out somewhere really quiet (the Movenpick) with just a few trips into town in week 2.

What medication will we need - I know its a case of check with your doctor but wonder if we need to take malaria medication / tablets or whatever. When we did the day trip we never bothered -

Thanks again -

Thanks Briar - having said that have read chunks of the post and my head's spinning! (And its not post Christmas vino!) :wink:

(Nice to have the site up and running, but I hope you moderators have had a long enough break!!!!!)

:glynis
If you plan to visit sites from the cruise you will still encounter hassle but if you're with a group then the guide can deal with it for you most likely. Most guides will take you to a papyrus. alabaster shop or the like as part of some tours but remember he earns commission on what you buy so the prices go up when you're with him!!! Save buying your gifts etc till when you are in Luxor & have a trip to the market. Be prepared to haggle for everything!!! Try venturing off the tourist routes onto some of the "real" streets of Luxor. You will find you get much less hassle there! I assure you it is very safe.

There's a free regular shuttle bus from the Movenpick into town & a motor boat on the Nile during the day. There's also a fleet of taxis near the hotel. A trip into town one way should cost about 15-20LE thats 1.50-2 pounds.

You don't need any malaria treatment. I had Hep A, typhiod, tetanus & diptheria/polio jabs but read the link above & ask your GP for advice. Bring some Imodium too just in case.
There are some great cheap restaurants in Luxor & all clean & hygenic, much cheaper than eating in the hotel.

Not visited Cyprus so can't compare the summer temps, sorry.
Thanks for that - we always check with the GP anyway re holidays but its always good to know what we're letting ourselves in for before we book! I think we've had all of those injections apart from Typhoid - we have a chart so will need to check -- I think they're all up to date.

Glad about the malaria tablets! Hubby wont go if we have to have those -- yipeeeee - that's good news!

Regards venturing out too far -- not too sure but I think hubby may be tempted to sell me for a few camels! (It was bad at the pyramids last time we went and I think he was tempted by the offers!!! :wink: )

Many thanks again - is it ok if I pm you if I need any more info?

:lol:
No problem PM me anytime. Happy to help. Maybe we can meet up when you're here & I'd be happy to show you around the less touristy, "hassle free" areas.
Thanks for that - having said that, haven't even persuaded hubby to go yet - am still working on it! :?
As long as that's ok - didn't want to bore everyone to death with things that might not be relevant! (Hubby says I talk too much .... :wink: )

Will post if I think it'll be useful - honest

You wont be laughing when I get side tracked ---------------- :omg

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.