Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi charlene, not sure what the horror stories you've heard about jamaica, but we've been back a few weeks now and felt perfectly safe whilst there, not much point flying all that way and staying in the confines of the hotel when there is so much to do on the island.
Obviously you need to use common sense as in wherever in the world you go and you'll be fine.
Taxi cabs are fine, usually cheaper outside the grounds of the hotel , best to agree a price before a journey.
have fun !!!
We have heard and read stories about couples walking outside their hotel and being corned by gangs of youngs, mugged and beaten, threatend with knives etc. Women (and men) being raped. My husband for some reason finds the need to tell me all of these stories and I panic like mad.

I completely agree, we dont want to be stuck in the hotel grounds for the whole holiday. Looking forward to doing the Bob Marley tour and hopefully another few too but we do like to get out and go for a nice meal etc one night. Experience the local area.

I'm always a bit dubious at flagging a taxi down outside the hotel. Will remember to agree price before the journey though.

Thanks for yoru advice :)
I wouldn't believe everything you hear or read, statistics show that the chances of being the victim of serious crime in the carribean is very, very low, jamaica's biggest contribution to the economy is tourism, so not really in their interest to do this !
I certainly wouldn't have taken my 8yr old daughter there if it was unsafe, we went out at night too, no problem.
I really hope you have a great time , there will be more members here who have been to jamaica many times and will reasure you.
cheers,
juby
Hi, I have not been yet but I am going next year and for me I have wanted to go for as long as I can remember. I too have had comments made to me about Jamaica, and gangs etc, but then you can say the same about certain parts of the USA where Gangland culture is very high, with stabbings, gun shots etc, you can always find fault with every place. Just be sensible, I mean to be honest you probably would not go down dark alley ways late at night, but then why would you want to?

Have a brilliant time, I know I going to albeit a long way off yet. :cheers
Thanks Miss Pink and Juby - i feel a bit better now. I dont know why I get so worried you know what it's like though. We've been to Mexico and Dom Rep before and no troubles at all. So, I'm sure Jamaica will be no different :que

Now that I feel a bit better about going outside the hotel area. Any recommendations of a good restaurant in the Ocho Rios part?

9 weeks on Sunday... I cant wait ... :sun2
Charlene, I really hope that you can see past the hearsay of horror stories you may have heard about jamaica, most serious crime takes place in the capitol of kingston and then its just amongst locals, you will love all that the island has to offer, and most locals would be upset that you had reservations about going out and about, night or day.
As i've said, just use any caution you would at home and no worries !!
have a crackin' time !
HI everone,
My husband and I went to jamaica sep 2007 and had a wonderful time.
We stayed in ochios rios, and riu complex it was fantastic right on the beach.

To answer charlene question we found it very safe to be out and about we went down the town in ochos rios which had many shops bars even hard rock cafe, and of course a market. There are lots of fantastic diamond jewllers there which u have to barter for your life but if u do so u will come home wth some nice diamonds like i did..... got them valued when i got back and they worth 3 times what i paid or should i say what my husband payed for them lol lol

Weather was good when we were there rain for about 10 mins a day.

Hotel excellent food drink very clean right on beach and every one so helpful.

Don't be affraid to use public taxis we did much cheaper than hotel or rep ones just agree on a price first.

Hope u have a wonderful time charlene

Post when u get back let us know how it goes

Katy :cheers
We`ve been 3 times now to Jamaica ( Mo Bay once , Runaway bay twice ) and would gladly go back at anytime , never had any really bad experiences , just the odd pushy market traders who sometimes will not take NO for an answer :( , we have booked our taxis off resort so to speak and have had some absolutely amazing days out. Just remember you are on island time as well ;) , People WILL try to peddle drugs but a firm No thanks will suffice .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.