Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Still Blackpool in the sun in my opinion ;)

Maybe you could try Icmeler, that way you could go and have a look at Marmaris but without having to stay there.
I have lived in Blackpool all my and get a little fed up when I read posts/reviews comparing holiday resorts abroad with Blackpool. I will be visiting Marmaris again this year for the fourth time and believe me if it was anything like Blackpool and full of stag and hen parties etc I would not be going. I go on holiday to get away from this and not to somewhere that feels like home from home.
The only comparison I would make is that they are both fairly big and busy places with Marmaris selling Turkish delight instead of sticks of rock. Can't say I have ever seen a kiss me quick hat either in Marmaris.
If you prefer somewhere quieter then Marmaris is not for you. I have also stayed in Icmeler but that was too small for me.
I don't think it matters where you go on holiday abroad you will always find English cafes and English beer which must make them all like Blackpool.
Ive also never found Marmaris like Blackpool,no comparison,but if you didnt like it then well!!dont go back.I went to Gumbet a couple of years ago,and I would never go back there :yikes
Here we go again...same thread, same debates. it's all about opinions but living here gives a different perspective.There are parts of marmaris that are very quiet and relaxed. There are parts that busy and lively (noisy to some) .Icmeler has a perceived smaller up market feel but is overpriced and underlyingly seedy. There is more hassle, there are more cases of ghost drinks and i get the kiss me quick feeling when waiters call out "all right mate cheeky bugger". But like i said, it's an opinion.
To the original poster , don't bother coming, it's a long trip and if you had a pre conception of it being Blackpool nothing will change it, so save your money1
Thanks for your input about Marmaris, The disscusion is how Marmaris has changed over the last 25 years since i was last there.I didnt like Bodrum when i first went, but over a period of time the resort changed and evolved get more consumer friendly and become more cosmopolitan, and now i love the place.
The last time i was in Marmaris it was geared up towards the the traditional English holiday maker doing the typical English holiday maker thing, all i was asking is how Marmaris has evolved over that period,and how cosmapolitan it is now.

And surely we all have pre-concieved ideas about any holiday destinations, thats why we enter forums to other peoples views.

And if every tourist board took a hissy fit and told their customer dont bother coming if your thoughts dont coincide with thiers tourism would never have taken off around the world.
Keep smiling
My husband wne to marmais a few times about 10 years ago and we returned for a bried visit 2 years ago when we stayed in Turunc. His opinion was that it wasn't as nice as it was 10 years ago so I'm guessing after 25 years it would have chanegd immensly and probably not for the better.
I've been going to Marmaris for the last ten years and have seen considerable change. Lots of new apartment blocks (Alize, Aida to name only two). There is also the change around the junction where the Point / Taj Mahal is, the place is unrecognisable from years ago. Along the front has also seen massive changes for the better and I believe there are more this year too. I have also noticed that the council have refurbished many of the park/swing park area's and most of them now look great. For example the one just up from the Taj near the hospital even has fountains and looks great. IMHO Marmaris has benefited from the change.

Wilson ;)
we have been going to mamaris for 5 years and have had a great time we stayed on the beach front in a lovely hotel we would go to the shops in the eveing then go to some lovely fish resturants by the marina you can go to bar street if you want it lively this year we are going to icmeler as we like it their everyone to their own
LOL at Chelsea boy...You tell em Kev
chris ding
why call a place when you aint been for 25 years
your better not going,
anthony.higgins50 wrote:
chris ding
why call a place when you aint been for 25 years
your better not going,

Surely if someone is trying to weigh up if its worth giving a place another try even after 25 years, this is the place to aske questions. :que
if he wants to call a country he should stop a home not go to the country and call
next news he will be asking for any advice
ive been going to turkey for the last 12 years and they are the nicest people you could meet
chris dong
you should ask in a nice manner about a country,
anthony.higgins50 wrote:
if he wants to call a country he should stop a home not go to the country and call
next news he will be asking for any advice
ive been going to turkey for the last 12 years and they are the nicest people you could meet

anthony.higgins50 wrote:
chris dong
you should ask in a nice manner about a country,

why should they.
I have always thought Marmaris was going to be a bit like blackpool before I ever went.... untill last year , and now I have been I Do think its a bit like blackpool. Now not going to say if I mean in a good or bad way, I just think it is.
:cheers
I don't think he was asking about Turkey in general, just whether Marmaris would be worth a second chance. I really don't think any insult was meant. Marmaris isn't everyone's choice and it's best to find out what it is like before booking.
Each to their own i say-if you wanna know give it a try!
personally i do like marmaris, but i dont like blackpool........lol! and if you put it like that, are you ever seeing the real turkey when you are going to resort after resort full of tourists....... :think !? ive been on holiday to tourist parts like marmaris and also been to non touristic parts ie.ayvalik, hatay etc and these are different again!you have to cater to how these parts are like ie. try to speak turkish, dress carefully etc not the other way round as it is in marmaris etc-everyone speaking english, wearing anything etc lol!x
Well I wouldnt book icmeler its a bit close isnt it?? You could end up being overbooked and being moved to the sister hotel in Marmaris :rofl
I dont think Marmaris is anything like Blackpool at all, If it was, Where are all the Amusements the Donkey rides, The kiss me quick hats, The tower, Yes it has all the Bars and restauraunts and hotels, But at the end of the day we all need a place to sleep a place to eat and a place to drink. And I much prefer a Pint of Efes on tap not bottled to any English beer.
Hi,
If you want to do a quick trip into Marmaris it is really lovely where the local boats pull in and around the Marina. Hassle from waiters trying to get you into their restaurants and stall holders in the bazaar is no longer allowed by the local council - 3 strikes and the place is closed down.Just beware of the signs displaying the cost of drinks etc - they will say in large letters e.g. Efes - 2 and then a very small £, $,or Euro sign. Also, the big supermarket is very useful.
If you are staying in Icmeler, Turunc, Amos etc, it is much nicer to get a boat into Marmaris, the dolmus sometimes get very crowded and the hairpin bends can upset some people.
Marmaris was very quiet when we went in for the day last week.
Hope this helps. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.