Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I always used to think this when first landing in Majorca, you have to remember that the countryside in Majorca doesn't receive much in the way of rainfall compared to the UK so it looks barren in comparison, inland from the coast is mainly agricultural and somewhat poor compared to the relatively wealthy coastal resorts.

The place you drove through was probably Campos, it may appear rather dead to us English as you have to remember most residents would be working either in Palma or at the coast and with all those shuttered doors and windows it does look rather of a ghost town.

Try a trip up to Valldemossa its almost a different island in comparison to the south east of Majorca very lush and stunning in the mountains.

Anyway hope you had a good holiday, I'm off tomorrow to Cala D'or and sooo looking forward to it.
Well described Kasm, you did a good job. Spot on.
Campos? Well it is an agricultural town but all those quaint streets, old buildings and ancient wooden doors hide some exquisite interiors and in recent years houses there have become fairly pricey. Old Spanish towns can often look neglected on the outside but many houses contain a wealth of beauty. Personally I much prefer towns like this to the Disneyfied pristine streets of Valldemossa or the polished tourist resorts.
I totally agree with the previous corrospondents - towns such as Campos and Santanyi have a real charm but you dont see it if you drive around the outskirts. The centre of Santanyi is fantastic particularly on market days. These old Mallorquian towns are real, and real people live there. Next time, stop and have a walk around when the shops and houses are open.
A bit like France really. Because I never seem to see any people when I drive through French villages, I now refuse to believe that they exist. I think they are an invention by the British Government to give us something to feel superior about. :D :D :D (Only a joke, only a joke!) Vive La France!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.